Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-09-2023, 09:51 PM   #43
Hammer.

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Ok, I guess I’m not as smart as I thought I was, but I’m assuming (a dangerous activity, I know) that one would need a specific tool to determine the amount of torque that is already applied to the lug nut? I have a torque wrench, so I can torque the lug to a specified amount, but how would I determine how much torque was applied by the minion (or robot) who installed it at the factory?

Asking for a friend. (That’s a lie, I have no friends. Friends tend to borrow bad ass cars, so no thanks).

BTW - the torque specs on my BMW 335i was 88 ft/lbs.

Last edited by Hammer.; 10-09-2023 at 10:04 PM. Reason: More info
Hammer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 10:03 PM   #44
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer. View Post
Ok, I guess I’m not as smart as I thought I was, but I’m assuming (a dangerous activity, I know) that one would need a specific tool to determine the amount of torque that is already applied to the lug nut? I have a torque wrench, so I can torque the lug to a specified amount, but how would I determine how much torque was applied by the minion (or robot) who installed it at the factory?

Asking for a friend. (That’s a lie, I have no friends. Friends tend to borrow bad ass cars, so no thanks).
Throw your torque wrench (in clockwise rotation) on the lug nut and start low...

70 lb-ft: click but lug didn't move? go higher
80 lb-ft: click but lug didn't move? go higher
etc. etc etc.
140 lb-ft: click but lug didn't move? go higher
141 lb-ft: lug moved with click

Now you know the lug nut was tightened to greater than 140 lb-ft, but less than 141 lb-ft.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:58 AM   #45
Hammer.

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I had actually started at 90, thinking that should be safe, but the lug seemed to move - so it appeared this method wasn’t working. I switched to another wheel and it seems to be torqued to the 118/121 range.
Hammer. is offline   Reply With Quote