Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-28-2023, 07:11 PM   #15
Mid_Life_Crisis

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro 2LT V6 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
I had a similar quandary when I bought my 22 LT1, as the factory configures those with 245s on 8.5 rims all around. I bought the matching 9.5 rims for the rear and put on 275s, for a staggered configuration. Performs a bit better, but the 6.2L tends to spin them almost as easily.

I created an issue when I bought very sticky tires, which I read about after I ordered them, that can't tolerate being stored in freezing temperatures. I'm in the north east, so I'm swapping the near rears for the originals every October., and back again in April or May. I could do without that twice a year swap!

If I were to do it again I'd buy tires that could tolerate freezing temperatures. If I wasn't trying to minimize cost, I'd go staggered with different wheels, using 10/11 rims with the factory offset.

I like your idea of trying to get a rotation friendly configuration, you could go with 4 front wheels on 275s. But visually, I think you'll want a larger tire than 275 on the rear.
Yep but I want to be careful as I don’t have the power that the V8’s have to turn the extra weight. Don’t want to rob too much power. That’s really why I don’t want to entertain a 11 inch wide rear setup which I see is popular in staggered setups.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:26 PM   #16
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
I had a similar quandary when I bought my 22 LT1, as the factory configures those with 245s on 8.5 rims all around. I bought the matching 9.5 rims for the rear and put on 275s, for a staggered configuration. Performs a bit better, but the 6.2L tends to spin them almost as easily.

I created an issue when I bought very sticky tires, which I read about after I ordered them, that can't tolerate being stored in freezing temperatures. I'm in the north east, so I'm swapping the near rears for the originals every October., and back again in April or May. I could do without that twice a year swap!

If I were to do it again I'd buy tires that could tolerate freezing temperatures. If I wasn't trying to minimize cost, I'd go staggered with different wheels, using 10/11 rims with the factory offset.

I like your idea of trying to get a rotation friendly configuration, you could go with 4 front wheels on 275s. But visually, I think you'll want a larger tire than 275 on the rear.

I ran nothing but drag radials on my 4th gen. Never driving in wet conditions but I am in CT so the winters here are not exactly warm. I never had any issues with my sticky tires. I used mostly mickey thompson s/s and a couple occasions toyo when they still made it. If it was a daily driver then I wouldn't run them in colder months when there's snow on the ground.

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 11:09 AM   #17
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
I ran nothing but drag radials on my 4th gen. Never driving in wet conditions but I am in CT so the winters here are not exactly warm. I never had any issues with my sticky tires. I used mostly mickey thompson s/s and a couple occasions toyo when they still made it. If it was a daily driver then I wouldn't run them in colder months when there's snow on the ground.
It was news to me as well, and some of the extreme performance tires that the factory ships with have the same cracking problem when in frozen temps. There are a few threads on this forum about it, one even with a picture of destroyed tires with the car on the delivery trailer.

I bought Yokohama apex v601. Tire rack has this (below) deep in their notes (which I didn't notice because of the way the page displayed with a scrollbar).

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage. Tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."
Old 09-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #18
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
It was news to me as well, and some of the extreme performance tires that the factory ships with have the same cracking problem when in frozen temps. There are a few threads on this forum about it, one even with a picture of destroyed tires with the car on the delivery trailer.

I bought Yokohama apex v601. Tire rack has this (below) deep in their notes (which I didn't notice because of the way the page displayed with a scrollbar).

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage. Tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."
I believe it. I saw it happen a time or two over on LS1tech over the couple decades. I also do remember reading what you posted as well.

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote