Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 09-04-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Backup Plan for no Run flats?

What's everyone's backup plan when you are running non-run flats? Is it worth buying the GM tire inflator kit? Is it better to buy a compact spare? Are you just rolling the dice and hoping you don't get a flat?

Mine isn't my daily driver but since I'm switching to MRR017 wheels and non run flats I'm thinking perhaps I should have some kind of plan in place.

Thoughts?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I have a roadside assistance plan for local problems. I carry a compact spare kit for long trips.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I have a roadside assistance plan for local problems. I carry a compact spare kit for long trips.
I do have AAA but would ultimately avoid them towing me for a simple flat if possible...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 09-04-2023, 01:04 PM   #4
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
I ordered a spare for my SS 1LE that will fit on the front and rear. Black wheel with tire rated for 81 MPH. No matter what trim you have they off a spare for you Camaro with optional jacking kits. If You have the 1LE, follow the prompt to get the correct wheel that clears the Brembos.

https://modernspare.com/
Old 09-04-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
I ordered a spare for my SS 1LE that will fit on the front and rear. Black wheel with tire rated for 81 MPH. No matter what trim you have they off a spare for you Camaro with optional jacking kits. If You have the 1LE, follow the prompt to get the correct wheel that clears the Brembos.

https://modernspare.com/
Mine is a 2SS (non-1LE)

Old 09-04-2023, 01:19 PM   #6
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Mine is a 2SS (non-1LE)
Then get the non 1LE spare
Old 09-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #7
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
gm inflator kit for everyday however,

I have this in the trunk and it fits in the Styrofoam
(same exact kit as the GM for $100 less)
https://www.amazon.com/AirMan-ResQ-T...ef_=ast_sto_dp

a modern spare for the long road trip
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:27 PM   #8
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
another thing to consider, I removed the small grill insert
that covers the factory tow hook mount.
Sort of a PITA to remove.
Could be frustrating to remove without breaking it while the the tow guy waits on you
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post

Ok, this might be the answer, I was always under the impression the sealant ruined the tire/TPMS sensor (like the old "Fix-a-Flat") but this one says TPMS safe and washes out with water to clean the tire...

Old 09-04-2023, 02:52 PM   #10
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post

Thanks - good find. Ordered.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #11
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Ok, this might be the answer, I was always under the impression the sealant ruined the tire/TPMS sensor (like the old "Fix-a-Flat") but this one says TPMS safe and washes out with water to clean the tire...
I agree. THIS osunds like the most practical and easy to use solution that also requires minimal space in an already small trunk. And the fact that it is also the recommended OEM solution, for multiple auto manufacturers, tells me it should work reasonably well. And the price on Amazon, even on Amazon Canada, is reasonable - way less (80% less) than the complete "Modern Spare" mentioned earlier.

I consider ease of use and safety to be really important, since with modern tire reliability, most drivers have little or no experience with changing wheel/ tire assemblies, on a narrow road shoulder, at night, and trying to unthread wheel lugnuts that were torqued to 150 ft lb when installed.

This kit seems easy to use. It does not even require removing the valve stem. This seems to me to be the SAFE way to address a flat tire.

Yes, it won't solve the problem if your tire has severe, non-repairable damage, but that happens WAY less frequently than a normal "flat tire", and I have had only 2 flat tires in my entire 56-year driving career.

In my view, this kit moves a "trip-stopping" or "very unsafe" tire problem from the "rare" category to the "ultra rare" category, and I can live with that.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 03:02 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
I agree. THIS osunds like the most practical and easy to use solution that also requires minimal space in an already small trunk. And the fact that it is also the recommended OEM solution, for multiple auto manufacturers, tells me it should work reasonably well. And the price on Amazon, even on Amazon Canada, is reasonable - way less (80% less) than the complete "Modern Spare" mentioned earlier.

I consider ease of use and safety to be really important, since with modern tire reliability, most drivers have little or no experience with changing wheel/ tire assemblies, on a narrow road shoulder, at night, and trying to unthread wheel lugnuts that were torqued to 150 ft lb when installed.

This kit seems easy to use. It does not even require removing the valve stem. This seems to me to be the SAFE way to address a flat tire.

Yes, it won't solve the problem if your tire has severe, non-repairable damage, but that happens WAY less frequently than a normal "flat tire", and I have had only 2 flat tires in my entire 56-year driving career.

In my view, this kit moves a "trip-stopping" or "very unsafe" tire problem from the "rare" category to the "ultra rare" category, and I can live with that.

Jim G
I agree completely, I ordered this kit as well... I figured had I bought a 1LE this is the exact solution I would have had regardless, so for $60 it is the best answer in my book...