Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #29
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
When I was doing some reading about that Elantra N fiasco, one of the articles mentioned the test should be done only in modes that are persistent after a shutdown/startup, meaning track mode shouldn't be tested because if you shut the car off in track mode and then start it up, it is now in touring.

Now I don't know how true that is because I couldn't find any information on it. A stock exhaust system should not fail these tests but I feel they are more about revenue generation than actually doing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodack000 View Post
I want to be as clear as possible to help as many as I can. I was pulled over for loud exhaust. Cop sent me to the State ref here in CA. At the time of infraction I had LT headers, no cats running back to an MBRP set of mufflers.
Knowing I would fail the 95db test I put the exhaust back to stock minus the mufflers. I kept the mbrp on to see if it would pass.
Took it in and it not only failed the db test at 110db it failed for modified cats. Since I cut them off and put them back on they are now deemed used/not original.
State ref made me show proof on new rear cat purchase from Chevy which I will tell you is only sold as 1 whole piece. From the connection at the front cats all the way back including the muffler. $2200 after core. Had to also show proof of install, pictures an all before I could get a re test.
Took it down today fully 100% stock. You guessed it FAILED!!! They will test in all 3 modes it ran at 99, 97, and 96.
State ref looked at me and said I don't know what to tell you. It's stock but it failed.
At this point I still can't pay the fines to get the car back on the road legally.
Looking into adding resonators to quiet it down and test again.
Right now in Ca if you buy a stock camaro and drive it off lot, get pulled over for loud exhaust it will fail the db test locking you up just like me. Absolute crap.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:23 PM   #30
1sickzl1

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6
CA is totally luck of the draw. I've had cops pass me, see my limo tint and loud exhaust and not care. I've also on the other hand been ticketed for "distracted driving" while I was at a stoplight at 6:45 a.m. on my way to work because I was holding a breakfast burrito in one hand. Unfortunately it's their word against yours and your word doesn't mean jack shit. Oh and I fought this in traffic court and still lost. Even after asking the judge where in the CVC does it explicitly state what I did was illegal. No answer. I then asked if the judge drinks a cup of coffee while driving or if they change the radio station, or even in a manual if they use their other hand to shift. Nope. Still guilty.

RF intake, Soler TB & TC, ADM v2 reservoir, AWE Touring non-resonated catback exhaust.

535 whp, 537 tq. SAE Smoothing: 5. DynoJet.
No tune. 91 octane.
1sickzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:07 AM   #31
Bodack000

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Where in the state was this?
Central valley near Modesto Ca. I just got it to pass at the state ref. I had to order 2 small mini mufflers and have them installed just before the muffler. Had about 12" of pipe to use. Even after setting the car back to stock and adding the mini mufflers it still came in at 94db. Barely passing.
Bodack000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:04 PM   #32
Lethal6.2LE

Drives: Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
[QUOTE=Bodack000;
Right now in Ca if you buy a stock camaro and drive it off lot, get pulled over for loud exhaust it will fail the db test locking you up just like me. Absolute crap.[/QUOTE]

Just a thought, but for a stock ZL1 could we just go into the infotainment system and set the exhaust to touring mode, or stealth and override the mode switch? Even if they go through the various setting with the mode selector switch the exhaust note shouldn't change correct?
Lethal6.2LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:45 PM   #33
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal6.2LE View Post
Just a thought, but for a stock ZL1 could we just go into the infotainment system and set the exhaust to touring mode, or stealth and override the mode switch? Even if they go through the various setting with the mode selector switch the exhaust note shouldn't change correct?
This is correct, but note that the car may not remember the stealth exhaust mode, at least mine defaults back to tour if I stop, then start it, no matter the exhaust mode override. If you can make sure the engine isn't ever killed during the tests once you set stealth mode, you'll be okay even if all drive modes are tested.

I am somewhat surprised, however, that a stock ZL1 would fail a warm start sound test, when cat warmup isn't even a factor. That on a cold start causes the biggest "bark" that is likely above 95 dB, warm starts in tour mode should be mild enough, but who knows, maybe the 2019+ tune isn't as stringent as the 2017-2018 one.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:23 PM   #34
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
do these rules only apply to cars registered And licensed in CA?
Old 05-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #35
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
do these rules only apply to cars registered And licensed in CA?

Yes, maybe. I'm a Marine but born and raised here so I'm licensed and registered here but my friends who are active duty keep their vehicles registered in their home states and don't worry about it.

A few years back, my buddy was coming to my house and was pulled over by the police in Temecula, down the street from my house. He is licensed and registered in Florida, gave him some crap about his exhaust and tint but ultimately couldn't really do anything.

Now if you are not military I am not sure how it would work.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:20 PM   #36
Blend_When_Entering

Drives: Whiney Dodge Charger
Thanks cellsafemode for all the info and testing. Very useful to me.
2023 1SS 1LE M6
2023 2SS 1LE A10
2023 ZL1 A10
See you at Willow Springs
Blend_When_Entering is offline   Reply With Quote