Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #1
Markm44

Drives: None
Used buying tips

Hello I am looking at a used 17 Zl1 with under 6k miles. The dealer is asking around $62k ish for it and was wondering what to look for as far as body work or who can be contacted to check the vehicle for accidents or any body work. Carfax is clean but shows about 3 owners due to it looking like the car is at its third dealership for sale now. It looks like it has been at a dealer then maybe sold at auction, went to another dealer and is now at another third dealer for sale. It looks like it was originally for sale with almost 1k miles less about 7 months ago. Should I be concerned that the car has not sold after this long and is on its 3rd dealership? Thanks
Markm44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
- ask for service records
- have a good mechanic inspect the vehicle (pads and rotors; leaks anywhere?; tire condition - no cracks;
- Test drive - any strange noises? how does it shift?
- Cracks in windshield?
- Does the paint match on all body panels? Any chips or deep scratches?
- Any noise while steering?
- Does the A/C and Heat work?
- Do all cameras work? PDR?
- Flat tire kit and tow hook in the trunk?

This is just basic stuff man but for the most part these cars are bulletproof.
NG329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #3
Markm44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
- ask for service records
- have a good mechanic inspect the vehicle (pads and rotors; leaks anywhere?; tire condition - no cracks;
- Test drive - any strange noises? how does it shift?
- Cracks in windshield?
- Does the paint match on all body panels? Any chips or deep scratches?
- Any noise while steering?
- Does the A/C and Heat work?
- Do all cameras work? PDR?
- Flat tire kit and tow hook in the trunk?

This is just basic stuff man but for the most part these cars are bulletproof.

Would it be a good idea to ask the dealer if I could take it to a Chevy dealership to have them fully inspect the car and mainly check for previous damage that was fixed? I probably wouldn't be the greatest to check for repaired damage. Do you also think that's a fair price as well?
Old 09-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markm44 View Post
Would it be a good idea to ask the dealer if I could take it to a Chevy dealership to have them fully inspect the car and mainly check for previous damage that was fixed? I probably wouldn't be the greatest to check for repaired damage. Do you also think that's a fair price as well?
I mean, you could ask but they may not want to go through all of that trouble. That car with that mileage will definitely sell.

$62k while it isn't a 'Steal', it doesn't strike me as unreasonable with that mileage.

To be honest, if reliability is a major concern for you (and it should always be), bump up your price range to $67k (it'll only be another $100/month) and you might be able to score a 2019 or even a 2020 which would still be within its manufacturer drivetrain warranty period.

Otherwise, talk them down another $2,000 and buy a 3rd party warranty. Either way they'll be happy because 3rd party warranties that dealers sell are marked up 100%.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I was offered $52,500 by Vroom for my '17 with 9500 miles a couple of months or so ago. But this kind of money would make me think harder about it.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #6
NG329

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I was offered $52,500 by Vroom for my '17 with 9500 miles a couple of months or so ago. But this kind of money would make me think harder about it.
Those online sites offer you the bottom line at the low end of the spectrum. If you were working with a dealer to buy another car off of their lot you would likely get a better deal from the dealer on your trade.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #7
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Hello I am looking at a used 17 Zl1 with under 6k miles. The dealer is asking around $62k ish for it and was wondering what to look for as far as body work or who can be contacted to check the vehicle for accidents or any body work. Carfax is clean but shows about 3 owners due to it looking like the car is at its third dealership for sale now. It looks like it has been at a dealer then maybe sold at auction, went to another dealer and is now at another third dealer for sale. It looks like it was originally for sale with almost 1k miles less about 7 months ago. Should I be concerned that the car has not sold after this long and is on its 3rd dealership? Thanks
Did you buy it? I would ask for the VIN and go to a GM dealer and ask for any warranty work done to that car or have the dealership get that for you. I bought my 2018 and carfax was clean. Car did sell at an auction which i didn't think much about it. Come to find out the oil pump had been replaced under warranty by GM at GM dealership. First owner sold the car after that failure and i am second owner. I have been told that usually when cars have failures covered under warranty, dealerships will sell the cars at auctions versus directly to other customers.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #8
Markm44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Did you buy it? I would ask for the VIN and go to a GM dealer and ask for any warranty work done to that car or have the dealership get that for you. I bought my 2018 and carfax was clean. Car did sell at an auction which i didn't think much about it. Come to find out the oil pump had been replaced under warranty by GM at GM dealership. First owner sold the car after that failure and i am second owner. I have been told that usually when cars have failures covered under warranty, dealerships will sell the cars at auctions versus directly to other customers.

No haven't bought it. It shows now on the dealer photo that this is the last chance to purchase before it goes to auction again. Lol
Old 09-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #9
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
What color and any options?

The market is starting to soften a little bit. Trade-in values on my 2021 ZL1 dropped about $4-5k in the last couple months as interest rates increased and inflation takes grip.

IMO $62k is high, even if the car is super clean $52-55k would be it for me. For reference, last year about this time my Chevy dealer had a 2018 ZL1 A10 Red Hot exposed Carbon Hood insert and PDR only 2,700 miles and it was listed for $59,900. Remember, that is a 6 year old car now.

I think you could pick up a newer model in the mid 60s. Most ZL1s have pretty low mileage since they do not make for great daily drivers.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #10
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
Those online sites offer you the bottom line at the low end of the spectrum. If you were working with a dealer to buy another car off of their lot you would likely get a better deal from the dealer on your trade.
Yup. I sold my 2021 Tahoe RST to Driveway and made about $12k more than I paid. Then I tried to sell them my 21 2SS 1LE with 165 miles on it. I ordered a 22 ZL1 to replace it. They offered me $42k and never factored in 1LE Package. Just kept telling me it was a 2SS.

Just checked the other day. I tried Driveway, Vroom, Carvana, CARMAX, KBB Instant Offer. I have a 21 Trail Boss LT WITH 4400 miles. Offered between $44-$47k. My 22 ZL1 loaded minus roof and PDR with 85 miles was offered $54-$58k and "Stumped our Algorithm" response. Please contact a service rep for further assistance.

It pays to shop around.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 11:07 AM   #11
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I would check if the ecm has been flashed. If it has, the car almost certainly has been previously modified and returned to stock to sell.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote