Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-23-2024, 07:01 AM   #71
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
heads up, some thieves are now using ribbon cables with vampire taps to just pull the signals they need from the OBD2 wiring. They don't need necessarily the OBD2 dongle.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:37 PM   #72
roostere4

Drives: 1987 IROC, 2020 ZL1
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
heads up, some thieves are now using ribbon cables with vampire taps to just pull the signals they need from the OBD2 wiring. They don't need necessarily the OBD2 dongle.
Not great news! But also not completely unexpected!

As been noted in these forums previously if they really want to steal the car they will get it.

This is where the value and desire of the vehicles tip the risk reward equations. Unfortunately the Camaro seems to be a desired car and stock isn't too hard to steal. However as long it stays high on the desirable list thieves will put an equally high level of effort into stealing them.

This is where using multiple layers becomes more and more important. For example if using just a relay kill switch, it may be worthwhile for a thief to see if that is in play in the trunk or under the hood. Even if it means throwing the car into neutral and pushing to another spot to provide some additional undisturbed time for troubleshooting. If people don't think this would happen they should look at any of the numerous videos of challengers/chargers having their windows broken, thrown in neutral and pushed out of a driveway and then down a street with another vehicle.

So need multiple layers and make sure each of the layers are as hard to defeat as possible while also making use of the car for an authorized user as easy as possible. Can always put the car on blocks when it's not being used and it will be very hard to steal, however it is then also very hard to use. That's why as my basic measure I use IGLA, then other measures as deemed needed to slow and and deter Even more such as a brake lock.

And as part of this I will be adding the ability for IGLA to prevent keys from even being made to complement my OBD port lock, and plan for a possible dummy port since if the are now taping into the can bus directly they can do it anywhere and a relocated or dummy OBD port isn't going to help in these cases.

roostere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:17 PM   #73
Nitronut

Drives: Duramax, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...1&d=1711592202
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2024, 05:46 AM   #74
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostere4 View Post
Not great news! But also not completely unexpected!

As been noted in these forums previously if they really want to steal the car they will get it.

This is where the value and desire of the vehicles tip the risk reward equations. Unfortunately the Camaro seems to be a desired car and stock isn't too hard to steal. However as long it stays high on the desirable list thieves will put an equally high level of effort into stealing them.

This is where using multiple layers becomes more and more important. For example if using just a relay kill switch, it may be worthwhile for a thief to see if that is in play in the trunk or under the hood. Even if it means throwing the car into neutral and pushing to another spot to provide some additional undisturbed time for troubleshooting. If people don't think this would happen they should look at any of the numerous videos of challengers/chargers having their windows broken, thrown in neutral and pushed out of a driveway and then down a street with another vehicle.

So need multiple layers and make sure each of the layers are as hard to defeat as possible while also making use of the car for an authorized user as easy as possible. Can always put the car on blocks when it's not being used and it will be very hard to steal, however it is then also very hard to use. That's why as my basic measure I use IGLA, then other measures as deemed needed to slow and and deter Even more such as a brake lock.

And as part of this I will be adding the ability for IGLA to prevent keys from even being made to complement my OBD port lock, and plan for a possible dummy port since if the are now taping into the can bus directly they can do it anywhere and a relocated or dummy OBD port isn't going to help in these cases.

If you notice the guy in this video says only 5 dealers in the nation have access to the "key fob programming blocking" additional feature, and it's an additional cost. He appears to be in IL, but I wonder where the other dealers are.

I'm getting IGLA soon (car delivery today or tomorrow) and I'm going to point my guy to this video and see if he knows anything else.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:20 AM   #75
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
This is exactly what we need! I'd love to disable key reprogramming. I wonder how much it would cost?
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:57 AM   #76
Curr

Yeah I'm trying to get info from that guy about the "5 dealers that can offer this".. about who the other 4 dealers are, and whether he's going to share this information for the good of the people with cars at risk, or just be a greedy dirtbag and profit off it and keep the knowledge to himself.

I passed the video along to my IGLA dealer / installer (MA, and I'll email the NH dealer later today, too) to see if knows anything about it.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:14 AM   #77
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
they pivot, we pivot. That's why I'm removing those wires from being accessible, interrupting them ahead of the port itself.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:07 PM   #78
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
applying a vampire tap where? on the data wires on the OBD2 cable, so they use a homebrew thing with phone app or something, instead of a big fat tool with an OBD port? Not obvious from this description how this attack vector this defeats a dummy port.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:09 PM   #79
CamaroSue

Drives: 2019 Corvette GS, 2023 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
If you notice the guy in this video says only 5 dealers in the nation have access to the "key fob programming blocking" additional feature, and it's an additional cost. He appears to be in IL, but I wonder where the other dealers are.

I'm getting IGLA soon (car delivery today or tomorrow) and I'm going to point my guy to this video and see if he knows anything else.

So does this IGLA key programming block actually work and prevent the car from getting stolen? River Grove is not too far from me. But I'm not paying $1500 for something that does not work.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:32 PM   #80
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Starting about 1:55

clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:47 AM   #81
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSue View Post
So does this IGLA key programming block actually work and prevent the car from getting stolen? River Grove is not too far from me. But I'm not paying $1500 for something that does not work.
I'm in New England, so no idea. It's something he's been able to program into the IGLA, so it could be legit.

Call him and discuss it.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко