Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-09-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Arrow FEELER: CUSTOM CRASH BAR

Hey Team,

As discussed in another thread, I was interested in a custom crash bar solution that didn't block airflow, allowed for better aesthetics with perhaps better low speed impact security based on the addition of a lower bar.

This solution would have provisions for the tow hook, and brackets for the brake ducting. Clearly there is no current solution, and I'd like to figure this out...

Question; when finished with mine, would any of you be interested in purchasing one? If I can get enough pre-orders, we will have better buying power for the fabricator.

Everything would be fabricated from steel, and would ship raw finish, so you can powder coat, or paint to the color of your choice.

Thoughts?
Any mass interest?
Attached Images

ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 11:36 AM   #2
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Let's see the final product, then I think you will be able to determine true interest. I'm intrigued though.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 01:15 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
+2

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 03:23 PM   #4
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
So you’re looking to create a CHP push bar type steel bumper? Maybe I need to read the other thread….

Last edited by Camfab; 09-09-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 05:04 PM   #5
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Definitely interested depending on final product and price.
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:37 AM   #6
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I am not an engineer but, if GM could have done something different they would have. Of course they had to comply with federal crash tests. I think insurance companies might not pay damages in an accident if this front bar got removed or modified. Still would like to see if there is an alternative.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:57 AM   #7
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I am not an engineer but, if GM could have done something different they would have. Of course they had to comply with federal crash tests. I think insurance companies might not pay damages in an accident if this front bar got removed or modified. Still would like to see if there is an alternative.
Hey Smokin, with all due respect, I think you are giving GM way too much credit... I could think of 10 things right off the top of my head, that they COULD have done, to make these cars better, and did not... homelink button right off the top would have been super easy... but nooooooo

I agree, the bar I have in mind, may not fare as well as the stock bar, but that is not the reason for this upgrade and nor was it for the others who have designed a similar, but lacking alternate solution. I'm just trying to take it one step further and move the bars out of the way completely, add provisions for the tow hook, and air ducking... I'll be sure to post photos once done... stay tuned, and thanks for the interest!
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:34 AM   #8
bootss

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Hey Smokin, with all due respect, I think you are giving GM way too much credit... I could think of 10 things right off the top of my head, that they COULD have done, to make these cars better, and did not... homelink button right off the top would have been super easy... but nooooooo

I agree, the bar I have in mind, may not fare as well as the stock bar, but that is not the reason for this upgrade and nor was it for the others who have designed a similar, but lacking alternate solution. I'm just trying to take it one step further and move the bars out of the way completely, add provisions for the tow hook, and air ducking... I'll be sure to post photos once done... stay tuned, and thanks for the interest!

Or not making the damn side skirt one part with a painted rocker.

Or making the clips for the carnards better

Or using a better hood wrap

Yeah, i could think of a few.
bootss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #9
ZLElvira
Waiting 4 A Point By!

Drives: 2020 ZLE, C8 Z06-Z07 2LT Carbon
I have no idea why they call it a "Crash Bar" as every ZL1 I have seen in a front-end crash, that huge cooling encumbrance did absolutely diddly-squat!!!

I plan on removing mine and making a mount for the air-oil cooler, removing the joke of a engine coolant to plate heat exchanger mounted on the side of the block.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #10
Camfab

Ok, now I get it. You’re removing an existing internal structure, sorry I envisioned some clunky exterior piece, lol! Since I really haven’t studied the part, my question would be, does that piece actually provide structural integrity to the chassis as well as providing some kind of integrated crash crumple design. I don’t think that the term crash bar necessarily means it’s designed to mitigate damage to the car, it’s likely a part designed to ensure what ever destruction takes place saves the occupants.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #11
Owl3

Drives: 24 Sliverado 1500 ZR2, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Ok, now I get it. You’re removing an existing internal structure, sorry I envisioned some clunky exterior piece, lol! Since I really haven’t studied the part, my question would be, does that piece actually provide structural integrity to the chassis as well as providing some kind of integrated crash crumple design. I don’t think that the term crash bar necessarily means it’s designed to mitigate damage to the car, it’s likely a part designed to ensure what ever destruction takes place saves the occupants.
the objective of that part (on all vehicles, not just the Camaro) is to absorb the energy of a front end crash by collapsing instead of sending the force onto the occupants
Old 09-10-2023, 03:06 PM   #12
Rapid_blue_zl1_22

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLElvira View Post
I have no idea why they call it a "Crash Bar" as every ZL1 I have seen in a front-end crash, that huge cooling encumbrance did absolutely diddly-squat!!!

I plan on removing mine and making a mount for the air-oil cooler, removing the joke of a engine coolant to plate heat exchanger mounted on the side of the block.
I did the PWR/C&R oil cooler and deleted the stock oil cooler (heater) on my car. It works great so far, but I haven't had it back on track yet. I went a non-conventional route and deleted the auxiliary radiator instead of the Auxiliary intercooler. So far I haven't noticed any change in engine coolant temperature, if anything it is better than before. The thought was, deleting the OEM oil cooler would heat the coolant less, making the aux radiator obsolete.

Performance: Kong X-Port OEM blower, 1 7/8" TSP headers (Polydyn coated), Corsa Intake/X-pipe/NPP Exhaust, LT5 95MM TB, DSX FlexFuel sensor, Dedicated Motorsports inline fuel filter, Katech Dual fuel pump, WeaponX Boost freeze chiller, WeaponX center and aux HX, PWR oil cooler, and Elite E-2X catch can. Tuned by Pat G 731 WHP on a Mustang Dyno.

Suspension/Brakes: Eibach lowering springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Full SPL rear control arms, DSC Sport suspension controller, Blackwing F/R brake cooling ducts.
Rapid_blue_zl1_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 11:06 AM   #13
Camfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl3 View Post
the objective of that part (on all vehicles, not just the Camaro) is to absorb the energy of a front end crash by collapsing instead of sending the force onto the occupants
I think that was my point, maybe I didn’t get that across. It’s not designed to save the car. Though it may also be providing structural integrity to the chassis as well.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:09 AM   #14
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Here is a picture of the part in question. Anyone have pic of it removed?
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote