Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Safe torque question

GM recommends wheel nut torque to be be 140 lb ft.
Had new wheels and tires put on with a touchless machine at a tire place yesterday. I vocalized said torque and it was on my work order at the top. Swapping out the lugnuts today and finding all are set at 70 with 2 being finger tight. Not looking to bash said tire place, am genuinely curious what is considered to be safe vs acceptable.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Most tire shops will or should tell you to come back after 25 miles to re torque the wheels after new wheels are put on. You wouldn't think they would be finger tight either way.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
I can say finger tight isn't acceptable for a vehicle that is actually driven. 70 is too low in my opinion. Safe for me would be 110-130lbs. But I would go 140 if they were stock lugs.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I always ask them to torque manually and don't accept the "we have the pre-set torque tools that don't allow our air wrenches to over-tighten." If they won't oblige, they won't get my business - it's pretty simple.

IMHO, it's completely reasonable to ask a shop to take three extra minutes on a $1,000 tire replacement job, especially where they already have to be careful of the rims. And any shop that's used to working on performance vehicles would possibly hand-torque by default anyhow.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
The torque values are there for a reason. Too low of a torque and you aren’t stretching the studs enough to maintain clamping force in all conditions. Too high and you risk permanently stretching the studs and premature failure. That said, all measurements have tolerances, but myself I stay +/- 5% on the torque, so 133 - 147 ft lbs.
Remember, they consider these to be track cars, so they didn’t just guess at that torque value.
But you can do what you want, it’s your car.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
Most tire shops will or should tell you to come back after 25 miles to re torque the wheels after new wheels are put on. You wouldn't think they would be finger tight either way.
Agreed. I'm glad I live 7.1 miles from that shop. I'm also glad I planned on putting on black lug nuts to match the wheels instead of using the OEM bright silver ones.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
The torque values are there for a reason. Too low of a torque and you aren’t stretching the studs enough to maintain clamping force in all conditions. Too high and you risk permanently stretching the studs and premature failure. That said, all measurements have tolerances, but myself I stay +/- 5% on the torque, so 133 - 147 ft lbs.
Remember, they consider these to be track cars, so they didn’t just guess at that torque value.
Don't forget that improper clamping force via torque can cause vibrations in the wheel, pulsing in the brakes, warping of rotors, and a whole host of other problems. Torque values should be measure when everything is cold and there should be no debris or lubricant of any kind on the threads of the studs or lug nuts.

I follow the Price is Right method... I come as close as I can without going over. I do a first pass just randomly tightening. Second pass to get within about 10-15%, then final pass to come as close as I can to the final value (140 in this case) without exceeding.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
You really expect mechanics to work at tire shops. I do all my own tire rotations. On my wife's Camry they stripped out lugs using the wrong size impact and too often the torque values were all over the place.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
You really expect mechanics to work at tire shops. I do all my own tire rotations. On my wife's Camry they stripped out lugs using the wrong size impact and too often the torque values were all over the place.
The OP had new tires and wheels put on. I don't know anyone with a tire and wheel removal machine in their garage. He had to take it to the tire shop. Unfortunately it wasn't a very good one.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
The OP had new tires and wheels put on. I don't know anyone with a tire and wheel removal machine in their garage. He had to take it to the tire shop. Unfortunately it wasn't a very good one.
Sadly. With a 4.8 rating, 300+ reviews on Google in a higher end neighborhood I expected more. Especially since there was a Maserati, Acura NSX and Nissan GTR being serviced. I'm guessing I got the one tech who didn't have a clue....

Surprisingly the wheels were not marred or scratched.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:42 PM   #11
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I’d pull my own tires and wheels (off the car and bring to shop), just me... with all of the boneheads out there, there’s a good chance of collateral damage, (incorrectly lifted, oil dirt or scratch somewhere). Never mind torquing...I’m sure some places will do it, but it’s not the norm.

Example: Just went for a State inspection on the Z, brought my mag pad and some rubber spacers and asked the guy to use for lifting / inspection. Says sure thing, brings car in the bay, grabs the pad and spacers, then look perplexed on where to place them. I step in and insert the mag pad for him... he looks under the car with a scared look and says, it only has 2000 miles, I’m sure your front end is fine. Personally, that made my day, no lifting... I KNOW he was going to lift it wrong without a mag pad or me watching him. He did manage to leave some type residue on my steering wheel, door and near inspection sticker..

Anyway, back to the OP / finger tight lug nuts. Total BS, shoddy work. I can see them loosen up a bit over a week or so, but not finger tight.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 06-21-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #12
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
in the past, i've encounter over torqued lug nuts way more than under torqued. Once they were so tight i really had to strain to loosen them with a breaker bar. Since then, i always loosen and tighten them with with a torque wrench so as i get home. Amazing something so simple and important is often not done right!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #13
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I’d pull my own tires and wheels (off the car and bring to shop), just me... with all of the boneheads out there, there’s a good chance of collateral damage, (incorrectly lifted, oil dirt or scratch somewhere). Never mind torquing...I’m sure some places will do it, but it’s not the norm.

Example: Just went for a State inspection on the Z, brought my mag pad and some rubber spacers and asked the guy to use for lifting / inspection. Says sure thing, brings car in the bay, grabs the pad and spacers, then look perplexed on where to place them. I step in and insert the mag pad for him... he looks under the car with a scared look and says, it only has 2000 miles, I’m sure your front end is fine. Personally, that made my day, no lifting... I KNOW he was going to lift it wrong without a mag pad or me watching him. He did manage to leave some type residue on my steering wheel, door and near inspection sticker..

Anyway, back to the OP / finger tight lug nuts. Total BS, shoddy work. I can see them loosen up a bit over a week or so, but not finger tight.
I brought them the wheels in the unopened boxes and tires still wrapped in plastic. I was tempted to do exactly what you said but I also needed them to take out the sensors from the OEM tires. Those also needed to be calibrated as the right side read left and vice versa.

I had the car home for an evening. 7 miles.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:09 AM   #14
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Thanks! I always wondered why the torque limit was as high. So if we are using 3rd party tuner lugs should we back it off a bit? I hope my DR lugs I bought from Drag star can hold the stock torque recommendation.

Now I am feeling like I should go out and re-torque all my cars to the recommended limits instead of my good enough arm torque.