Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
New EPA regulations to prevent building a Racecar from a street car.

I dont know if it has been posted before but Roadkill just posted this to Facebook.

Read this, just came to us from SEMA.

EPA Seeks to Prohibit Conversion of Vehicles into Racecars
SEMA To Oppose Action As Threat to Modified Racecars and Parts Suppliers

Washington, DC (February 8, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled "Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2."

The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the "motor vehicles" that Congress intended to regulate.

"This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles," said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. "Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion."

SEMA submitted comments in opposition to the regulation and met with the EPA to confirm the agency’s intentions. The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal. Working with other affected organizations, including those representing legions of professional and hobbyist racers and fans, SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary.

The EPA has indicated it expects to publish final regulations by July 2016.

What do you think?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Doubt this will happen, and if so, good luck fully policing it.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I think it's time to start cutting government agencies down. The EPA is simply looking to justify its existence and keep the money rolling in.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Well, GM, Ford and Fiat may like this. They could possibility sell more factory built race cars then. This is very huge if it happens.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It will either get pared back, get sprinkled with a variety of exceptions/clarifications, or not passed at all.

But getting passed as summarized there? Not going to happen.

Of course ... the actual legislation being proposed might not even plan to restrict things the way that its alleged to in that little piece. Wouldn't be the first time something posted on Facebook was less than 100% accurate ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08...-into-racecars

I recon it's real, straight from SEMA.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I just saw it on Facebook... While I do appreciate why such legislation and laws exists, some are just wanting me to bang my head on a support beam till I die...
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun1le View Post
https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08...-into-racecars

I recon it's real, straight from SEMA.
I'll revise my statement:

Wouldn't be the first time something an industry advocacy group was less than 100% accurate ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #9
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I'll revise my statement:

Wouldn't be the first time something an industry advocacy group was less than 100% accurate ...
Good one! lol
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 AM   #10
EricTheCamaroGuy

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Because of so much opposition of the proposed EPA law, they probably will not be very successful.
EricTheCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #11
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
so they want to take on not only those who take cars and turn them into track machines, but also race teams and car manufacturers who take their road cars and turn them into race cars to sell to the public? That's at least what I'm seeing here as their aim.

Good luck. I think they would have better luck actually enforcing laws already in place
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
RaceFuel

Drives: A boring sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
so they want to take on not only those who take cars and turn them into track machines, but also race teams and car manufacturers who take their road cars and turn them into race cars to sell to the public? That's at least what I'm seeing here as their aim.

Good luck. I think they would have better luck actually enforcing laws already in place
I read it that if it's been VIN'd and registered on the street that it will be barred from being converted into a non-street legal race car.

Stuff like GT350R-C's, Z/28.R's, Cobra Jets, COPO's and such would still be legal and allowable since they're not able to be registered as street vehicles.

This is just the EPA desperately trying to remain relevant in a country where the majority of the people dislike them.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #13
alexlj92

Drives: 2014 Black 2SS
Its not a law it is a regulation. It technically doesn't have to pass anything, The EPA just creates it and it will take someone challenging it in court to get it reversed and by the time the court system reverses it (or parts of it), the industry will be irreversibly changed (as typically you have to abide by the regulation until it is reversed unless you can convince the court to hold it until the process is over).

The EPA has been doing this with power companies for years there is one such instance happening right now where the courts recently refused to halt the requirement for increased emission reduction protocols while the trial process goes on. So by the time it is reversed the power companies will already have paid to make the changes or gone out of business ipso facto even if the regulation is ruled to be illegal/unconstitutional the changes have already been made and the EPA gets their way anyway. The same could very well happen here.
alexlj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFuel View Post
I read it that if it's been VIN'd and registered on the street that it will be barred from being converted into a non-street legal race car.

Stuff like GT350R-C's, Z/28.R's, Cobra Jets, COPO's and such would still be legal and allowable since they're not able to be registered as street vehicles.

This is just the EPA desperately trying to remain relevant in a country where the majority of the people dislike them.
Ahh I gotcha now and totally agree on them trying to remain relevant. I don't think this will pass
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, epa, modding, petition, signature request