Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Get an auto, then get it tuned along with all the mods and drive with the paddle shifters all the time, trust me it is fun, I have owned many Camaros and my 5th gen L99 is my favorite.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
He must be out at the dealer ordering an L99... no replys yet from the OP!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Hey Slacker,
I am in the same position as you with my back. It has been that way for the last two years. In fact, I will be having back surgery very soon (second one). So I know about the pain. Words cannot describe it.
This time it has really slowed me down. There for awhile I couldn't even drive. But now as long as I take it easy and watch what I do (which is hard for someone like me. Not being able to do what you want sucks) I can still drive the Camaro A6 just fine. In fact, it is the most comfortable ride that I have driven. I wouldn't trade it for anything and I don't think it is any less fun than the manual transmission.
So, as others have said, if the manual is too hard on you get the auto. You won't be disappointed. And you can still have that permagrin.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Get the auto man. My back has been jacked up since 06' and my right shoulder had a torn rotator cuff in 08' i never got surgery for. I just did physical therapy for 6 months and it healed well enough to not bother me most of the time. Anyways, i love my L99 and have no pain issues in the car. Working on it is another story.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Sorry about your back problem. I also know what you're going thru, it's difficult I know. Yeah, an Auto may not be the same, but certainly better than doing without. I've always said if or when I can't shift anymore, I'll just trade her in and get an Auto. If having to drive an Auto, other than a corvette I don't know of any other car I would rather drive than a Camaro.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #20
CamaroSSRSL99
Heartbeat of America

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS, 1967 Camaro
Have you driven an L99? DO IT! Use the tap shifters and sports mode. Then when you realize "WOW!!!", go buy one. The main reason that I didn't buy a manual is because of my back. There was no way I was going to go without a Camaro, if I was still able to drive an automatic. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
paultheman2007
SWFLGENS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
There is nothing wrong with Today AUTO in sports Car i mean they make auto for people who either cant drive Manual or they are tired of shifting so much AUTO can get as much HP as a MANUAL in today world

SWFLGENS on facebook.
paultheman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Sorry man... my dad has back issues... lifted his motorcycle over the hood of his car when he was young, dumb and full... well you know the rest. Been battling it ever since.... been 40 years now.

I hurt my back playing baseball when I was 13. Didnt tell anyone. Finally at 30 I got tired of dealing with it, went to the doctor... here I have a birth defect and one of my vertebrae (SP?) is like 5mm out of wack... nothing going to kill me but I have to watch what I do.

I feel for you and the pain you have IT SUCKS. Whne mine acts up, I cant bend over to pick anything up, thankfully it doesnt effect my driving but it effects my sleeping :(

As for the automatic... I am sure it would be close to the same.... give it some time and maybe go drive one.
I also have a slipped vertebrae ,When it acts up I get referred pain in my left ankle.I have been getting deep tissue massages and hanging upside down on an inversion table.Doing these two things seems to keep it in check.
Anyway for this reason I have an automatic trans.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #23
Mark's SS

There seems to be allot of messed up Camaro owners out there. I guess that is what we get for working hard all of our lives so that we can have nice things like our Cars.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
Thanks for the support. I guess I'll have to try the auto then, I just don't know. I've had the 6 speed for 2 years and really had it down pat. I actually had them pull the Hurst shifter and Heritage Grill off the car before I sold it...just in case Either way, it's going to be a while before I can even sit in a Camaro I think. I went to Houston today and found myself looking at every Camaro I saw to make sure it wasn't mine....even though I sold it, I still think of it as mine!

Isn't the ZL1 going to offer an auto? Maybe if I my wife is sorry enough for me she will look the other way for that..

I feel bad for ANYONE with disc injuries. I never really knew how much it could hurt, but the last 3 months have been terrible. I'm trying to motor through the pain so I can avoid surgury!

Pics of her before she left me:
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
Mark's SS

Nice looking ride. My son just bought a 2SS Summit White with IOM stripes and IOM interior.
The little ****! I had to wait allot of years for mine and he is only 21. Something is wrong with this picture.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #26
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
As long as it's comfortable sitting in a Camaro get an automatic. I hurt my back about twenty years ago and it comes back once in awhile. The last couple of weeks ago it started to a hurt a little , but feels good in the Camaro.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #27
Diabel1969

Drives: 2010 2SS, A6
i've always had a screwy back since I was in my teens and tuned up a punk throwing him into a puddle.. about 8 years ago got rear ended and did a good job on it, 3 herniated discs (L3,L4,L5) and one bulging in my neck, 3 fingers on my left hand numb, and 2 on my right (nerve damage both hands). Didn't get crap out of the accident, but what do you expect when your hit by a state truck on state time.. Spent the better part of a year in physical therapy and it did wonders for me, so much that I haven't been to my chiro in 5 years now, and i'm able to drive stick cars without any problem and ride my harley. I only have to watch what physical work I do. Try PT, it may really help you out, but don't give up on the stick yet......
1988 Chevy Monte Carlo SS (soon to be LS powered)
1978 Chevy Malibu torn apart pending rebirth...
1999 Chevy Cavalier (gas mileage work beater)
2010 Chevy Camaro SS (orange crush)
2000 Wellcraft Excalibur 260 sport cuddy 502 BBC bored to 509, with a few extra goodies done to it....
Still Shoppin' for a Challenger SRT8 6 speed
Diabel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #28
bigted83
They call me captain slow

Drives: 2010 camaro lt
Sorry to hear about ur loss, I don't have back problems but I have knee problems on both and thiers days they hurt so bad it almost makes me wanna cry
bigted83 is offline   Reply With Quote