Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-28-2017, 01:39 AM   #463
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
For my future plans, (like adding running a bit wider wheels/tires in the rear, -3.0 F / -2.5 R Camber, lowering the overall height a little bit, gaining some more clearance between the wheels and the struts) this suspension fits the bill. I hope this can be owned as a full suspension upgrade kit (struts, sway bars, endlinks, bushings..etc) or at least the parts will be available to purchase individually.

Since it won't be my daily driver, I don't mind losing the MRC's adjustability to achieve those goals I mentioned for track use. I also sat in a DSSV suspension car before (1LE with full Z28 suspension aero conversion) and ride didn't really bother me at all. Having higher spring rate suspension doesn't necessarily mean a crappy ride. I also sat in 12k Ohlins and my previous Ohlins came with 10k sptings but the ride was great on the street,In fact I was about to replace them with 12k/10k Swift springs just before I decided to sell it Of course not as good as the MRCs obviously but way better than my factory STI suspensions which come with much lower spring rates.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:46 AM   #464
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
NP for a track car. But clearly not a good choice for a DD/commuter. BTW why do you plan on such a huge R camber?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:01 AM   #465
glamcem

Roads and tracks in my area are not that bad and I was using my track build / Rotrex BRZ as DD with no issues. If I lived in East coast it would've been different maybe

I will need more camber to be able to run the R comps at their full potential (and suggested camber from the manufacturers) and because good set of R comp tires are expensive and I would like to extend their life as much as possible at track.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #466
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
1.1g lateral grip, camber plates, hard mounted subframes, threaded front struts, adjustable rear stabilizer bar. Interesting Al O. said the chassis rake is used to reduce front lift. I look forward to seeing how the rake measures.

Very nice....if you're a track rat.

I think what's going to surprise people that check the box just because it's the "most extreme Camaro" is they'll find that it's actually extreme and not just a marketing phrase. I'm picturing these cars being put up for sale with a couple miles on them within weeks of the first deliveries just like when the Lotus Elise came out.

Agreed on all points...I'm just hoping people pay attention and dealers ask that question: "Are you sure" before placing the order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Not many folks understand that GM didn't "do a great job developing these dampers" but rather it was a Canadian company called Multimatic. They did it for Z/28 and FYI they also build Ford GT supercar for Ford (vs Ford proper). They also race a few cars in various pro series. An amazing unit with locations around the globe.

Also, I think I heard Al say 1.5G "all day long" which is tremendous. But he is clear this is NOT a DD. Not even close given its suspension which will excel on any track but will also rattle fillings out if street driven as a DD. Yet I would buy one in a flash if $ were no object.

Lastly, I totally respect Al for telling "the truth" about something that has been my pet peeve for years: carbon brakes are really just for marketing. FINALLY!!! He has balls and tells it how it is. BRAVO!
Camaro team has a good working relationship with several well-respected parts companies around the globe. What's really cool, like he explained with the Goodyear 3R tires...is that these companies work in tandem with Camaro team to tune and calibrate their equipment so the parts, but more importantly the CAR, can be the best it can be.

1.1G all day long - I'll be eager to read the peak figures out on track.

Carbon Ceramic brakes certainly have benefits; they're lightweight, heat-dissipating...but they come at a HUGE cost, and it's just not worth it when the iron rotor system they're using is capable of stopping this car without overheating. I'm reaaaaaallly curious to see what a set of race-oriented pads can do with these rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I also sat in a DSSV suspension car before (1LE with full Z28 suspension aero conversion) and ride didn't really bother me at all. Having higher spring rate suspension doesn't necessarily mean a crappy ride.
This is the exact setup I drive daily right now.

It's actually quite composed, and incredibly precise...until the road gets rough, or a pothole is encountered...it's at that point you learn why they warn everyone that this suspension is not a good daily driver for everyone. But there's a difference between a stiff ride...and a harsh ride. DSSV, Z/28...is not "harsh" in the least.

Bottom line is: you have to know what you're buying in the ZL1 1LE, and why you're buying it to appreciate the reason for the stiff ride, and forgive it.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #467
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Carbon Ceramic brakes certainly have benefits; they're lightweight, heat-dissipating...but they come at a HUGE cost, and it's just not worth it when the iron rotor system they're using is capable of stopping this car without overheating. I'm reaaaaaallly curious to see what a set of race-oriented pads can do with these rotors.

This is the exact setup I drive daily right now.

It's actually quite composed, and incredibly precise...until the road gets rough, or a pothole is encountered...it's at that point you learn why they warn everyone that this suspension is not a good daily driver for everyone. But there's a difference between a stiff ride...and a harsh ride. DSSV, Z/28...is not "harsh" in the least.

Bottom line is: you have to know what you're buying in the ZL1 1LE, and why you're buying it to appreciate the reason for the stiff ride, and forgive it.
Total agreement from me. I'm actually glad they stayed with iron brakes. As cool as I think they are, replacement costs on the carbon ceramic brakes would have kept me out of the ZL1 1LE.

I also have the Z/28 DSSV's on my 2014. I have camber plates in the front which make the upper strut mount a solid mount. The ride is just as you describe. I daily drive it, in fact it is heading off for One Lap in about a week.

What I really like about the ZL1 1LE is that it has everything I would normally bolt on to a track day car. Good power, good brakes (with cooling), aero bits, BIG wheels and tires, camber plates, an adjustable rear bar, ride height adjustment (in the front anyway), lots of coolers for the mechanical bits...

and a track warranty.

I love my 2014 on track and like it on the street, but I can't wait for this car! I'm not good at waiting.
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #468
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwille View Post
Total agreement from me. I'm actually glad they stayed with iron brakes. As cool as I think they are, replacement costs on the carbon ceramic brakes would have kept me out of the ZL1 1LE.

I also have the Z/28 DSSV's on my 2014. I have camber plates in the front which make the upper strut mount a solid mount. The ride is just as you describe. I daily drive it, in fact it is heading off for One Lap in about a week.

What I really like about the ZL1 1LE is that it has everything I would normally bolt on to a track day car. Good power, good brakes (with cooling), aero bits, BIG wheels and tires, camber plates, an adjustable rear bar, ride height adjustment (in the front anyway), lots of coolers for the mechanical bits...

and a track warranty.

I love my 2014 on track and like it on the street, but I can't wait for this car! I'm not good at waiting.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #469
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Why was this moved from the 1LE section?

I would assume all 1LE talk would be there, LT, SS and ZL1...moving it to the ZL1 section pretty much goes against why a specific 1LE section was made in the first place.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #470
TrackClub

I suppose this thread got moved for the same reason the 1LE tire thread got moved. And ditto some others. It seems the Mods won't allow our community to discuss anything here but 1LE specific subjects ONLY. So much for the "community".

As far as the ZL1 1LE brakes...they are the same as ZL1 brakes, which are the same as on 1SS 1LE - correct?

And agree, any car is a sum of parts often developed by various companies from around the world. And big kudos to Camaro Team for reaching out for the best. But as a Canuck, it erks me just a wee bit when folks give Camaro team full credit for DSSV technology, which was developed (for the car) and supplied by Multimatic. And hence a word "multimatic" should not be used to describe the shocks. Just like "gm" should not be used to describe the car's magnetic suspension (which GM invented and patented a long while ago). Just sayin'

Lastly, carbon ceramic brakes may have benefits for street use, where their longevity is described as "a life time". But for the track it is a totally different story and anyone planning on using them for track duty should read Brembo's official longevity estimate, which is actually very short.
And hence an incredibly expensive proposition.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #471
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I suppose this thread got moved for the same reason the 1LE tire thread got moved. And ditto some others. It seems the Mods won't allow our community to discuss anything here but 1LE specific subjects ONLY. So much for the "community".
Actually, up until recently, the "1LE section" was labeled 'SS 1LE', and this thread may or may not have been moved before that got adjusted. Besides that, any ZL1 1LE news is ZL1-related, just as much as it may be 1LE related...and there is a specific ZL1 forum, too. It's far easier to rationalize pulling the SS 1LE stuff out of the "general Camaro" forum.

But honestly, I don't know the precise reason for moving it, since it wasn't me. Not a huge deal, either way.

Quote:
As far as the ZL1 1LE brakes...they are the same as ZL1 brakes, which are the same as on 1SS 1LE - correct?
No, actually the ZL1 brakes use large calipers (similar to last gen Z/28) and the rotors are 15.35in. (390mm) up front.

SS 1LE features similar calipers to last-gen ZL1 and 14.6in. (370mm) front rotors.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #472
TrackClub

Thx for the brakes info!
Cem - I think when tire manufacturers speak about camber it is largely for F vs R. I have run aggressive camber before but always kept it about 1 apart F vs R. Just a hunch but if you go with such aggressive camber on R the car may not rotate well. High R camber suites mid and R engine cars better. Then again zero experience with 1LE yet so forgive my arm chair expertise here LOL!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #473
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
...No, actually the ZL1 brakes use large calipers (similar to last gen Z/28) and the rotors are 15.35in. (390mm) up front.

SS 1LE features similar calipers to last-gen ZL1 and 14.6in. (370mm) front rotors.
Same pad shapes though, right? The 1405 pad in front and 1718 in back?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #474
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Same pad shapes though, right? The 1405 pad in front and 1718 in back?
That, I do not know.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #475
glamcem

I also think that it would be better if this stayed in 1LE sub section. Since this suspension is specific to ZL1 1LE, it will be very hard to navigate because the posts will be in ZL1 discussions section instead
Old 04-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #476
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Actually, up until recently, the "1LE section" was labeled 'SS 1LE', and this thread may or may not have been moved before that got adjusted. Besides that, any ZL1 1LE news is ZL1-related, just as much as it may be 1LE related...and there is a specific ZL1 forum, too. It's far easier to rationalize pulling the SS 1LE stuff out of the "general Camaro" forum.

But honestly, I don't know the precise reason for moving it, since it wasn't me. Not a huge deal, either way.

I never remember seeing it called "SS 1LE"? It always had LT content from day one too.

IMO all 1LE content needs to be in once place...LT, SS, ZL1, whatever...all the track package cars should share the 1LE section.