Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #3529
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
And if the Corvette team is truthful in saying the Z06 is nearing the limit of the current configuration's performance potential, something drastic may have to happen.
That time when world class exotic beater isn't somehow enough....

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #3530
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Remember how quickly people got over it though?
I still haven't.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #3531
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Remember how mad people were when the C7 didn't have round taillights? And again, people got over it.

You're never going to make everyone happy. And if the Corvette team is truthful in saying the Z06 is nearing the limit of the current configuration's performance potential, something drastic may have to happen.
Minor styling choices are one thing. Making the Corvette dramatically more expensive and less useful as an everyday car, simply because the upper tier is nearing the performance limit is extremely different. That goes against the core appeal of the Corvette for a huge chunk of buyers. I can't think many people bought Corvettes explicitly because the tail lights were round or because the headlights flipped up.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #3532
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
That time when world class exotic beater isn't somehow enough....
It's a world class exotic beater in the current time, but this time next year who knows what'll come out from Europe. It'll turn some people away but it'll also bring more people to buy it.

I think this might also be happening for racing purposes but that's probably not a major point to making the Corvette mid engined. Although with GTE/GT LeMans slowly turning back into GT1 it only makes sense to go mid engined

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Minor styling choices are one thing. Making the Corvette dramatically more expensive and less useful as an everyday car, simply because the upper tier is nearing the performance limit is extremely different. That goes against the core appeal of the Corvette for a huge chunk of buyers. I can't think many people bought Corvettes explicitly because the tail lights were round or because the headlights flipped up.
I think the price change will be a big deal if Car and Driver are to be believed with a entry price of around $80k, but with the Camaro now reaching into the 50's it would make me consider a Corvette currently over a Camaro. So this might be a move to protect sales of the Camaro and also move the Corvette into a much higher performance bracket. The Camaro 1LE might be pretty close to the Corvette (non Z06) in terms of performance, and the ZL1 might be as close of not closer than the 1LE because of the HP difference
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #3533
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
It's a world class exotic beater in the current time, but this time next year who knows what'll come out from Europe. It'll turn some people away but it'll also bring more people to buy it.

I think this might also be happening for racing purposes but that's probably not a major point to making the Corvette mid engined. Although with GTE/GT LeMans slowly turning back into GT1 it only makes sense to go mid engined

I think the price change will be a big deal if Car and Driver are to be believed with a entry price of around $80k, but with the Camaro now reaching into the 50's it would make me consider a Corvette currently over a Camaro. So this might be a move to protect sales of the Camaro and also move the Corvette into a much higher performance bracket. The Camaro 1LE might be pretty close to the Corvette (non Z06) in terms of performance, and the ZL1 might be as close of not closer than the 1LE because of the HP difference
And here I always thought that the accusation was that it was Corvette sales that GM was trying to protect, at the expense of the Camaro ...

Anyway, putting the engine in the back isn't going to dramatically improve a base Corvette relative to a Camaro SS. The improvements in traction would probably be partially offset by weight gain (rear-mid engine cars have a tendancy to weigh more than front-mid). The Corvette would handle better, but anyone looking for the better handling car would be getting the Corvette now anyways.

And price ... I'm thinking that 80k would be very optimistic. I'm thinking 100k, if there is still a base model which could very easily be dropped due to pointlessness. If the goal is maximum performance, why even bother with a car that won't benefit much from the mid engined layout? It could very easily be only a Z06 type car, at 150 grand & thats it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #3534
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/e...9-ats-cts.html

Revised ATS/CTS trim packaging, revised CTS grille and rear fascia, ATS 2.5L model dropped.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #3535
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a reason this mid-engine car shouldn't be a Cadillac? The big issue with this car is the price, and Cadillac is trying to be seen as a legitimate luxury carmaker, where price isn't an issue like it is for Chevy. If they left the Corvette at its current price point and layout, and gave the mid engine chassis to Cadillax, they would be free to charge $100K a pop for them and go head to head with the R8 and 911. The XLR didn't work because it didn't have any significant edge on the Corvette, but if Cadillac had an exclusive performance platform, that would really show how serious GM is about them.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #3536
FenwickHockey65

There's a decent case for the midengine car being a Cadillac as well.

We'll just have to wait and see. It could go either way.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #3537
derklug1

Drives: 2016 GT350
I fear that the Corvette will get priced beyond what the typical Corvette buyer will pay, and so the upper levels that are made possible by the sales of the base models will go away. The only other option would be for GM to accept that they are going to lose money on the Corvette, but keep it in production as a Halo car.

That would be a sad day for all of the guys who have been waiting for that last kid to get out of the house.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:25 AM   #3538
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
It's one hell of a performance limit, for a lot less money than most cars it is competing with.

Right, enthusiasts (like folks on this forum), are a small percentage of overall buyers.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #3539
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Remember how mad people were when the C7 didn't have round taillights? And again, people got over it.

You're never going to make everyone happy. And if the Corvette team is truthful in saying the Z06 is nearing the limit of the current configuration's performance potential, something drastic may have to happen.
That is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post

Yeah, but there are plenty of people who want a Corvette just because its a Corvette. It's an insane performance bargain and me as an example, the Corvette just does it for me. I have always loved Corvettes. If it jumped out of my price range, I wouldn't get a Camaro instead I would just be mad that the Corvette isn't what it has been for the last 60+ years

Quote:
And here I always thought that the accusation was that it was Corvette sales that GM was trying to protect, at the expense of the Camaro ...

Anyway, putting the engine in the back isn't going to dramatically improve a base Corvette relative to a Camaro SS. The improvements in traction would probably be partially offset by weight gain (rear-mid engine cars have a tendancy to weigh more than front-mid). The Corvette would handle better, but anyone looking for the better handling car would be getting the Corvette now anyways.

And price ... I'm thinking that 80k would be very optimistic. I'm thinking 100k, if there is still a base model which could very easily be dropped due to pointlessness. If the goal is maximum performance, why even bother with a car that won't benefit much from the mid engined layout? It could very easily be only a Z06 type car, at 150 grand & thats it.
That is what scares me about a mid engine Corvette. Performance wise it might be amazing, but if it makes the base model out of reach for Corvette buyers what good is it?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #3540
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Is there something inherently more expensive about mid engine or is it just most mid engine cars are exotic? I mean, if GM can build a mid engine base Corvette and keep it in the 55-60k range, I think that would be a big deal.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #3541
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Is there something inherently more expensive about mid engine or is it just most mid engine cars are exotic? I mean, if GM can build a mid engine base Corvette and keep it in the 55-60k range, I think that would be a big deal.
Car and Driver says most of the increased costs to consumer would emerge from the fact that GM would basically have to develop a new platform for the midengined car rather than use the decades old Y-body.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #3542
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Car and Driver says most of the increased costs to consumer would emerge from the fact that GM would basically have to develop a new platform for the midengined car rather than use the decades old Y-body.
Didn't they spend a billion dollars on the C7? I may be way off but I thought I read they spent a ridiculous amount.

I found this in an article from January 2015.

I didn't want to move out of our price class, but Tadge explained that while the transmission would cost more, the list price would increase by no more than $5000. Imagine an American-built car with the proportions of a Lamborghini at that price point …that's pretty appealing.

Last edited by Bhobbs; 06-30-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions