Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
DIY HID kit issue - The ol' one eye

Hey Everybody!

Since my car is asleep for the winter up here in the frozen north, and I may actually get some free time ... I was thinking about trying to tackle something that has been annoying me greatly with my HID kit.

Some of you might know that I installed BMW headlights on my car, and I've got HID's in the outer projectors. I built the typical DIY plug/play harness, which plugs into my factory driver side headlamp plug and feeds power to the ballasts in parallel.

The problem, as with many aftermarket harnesses for HID's, is that since the kit is closest to the driver side light it will always power up. But SOMETIMES it will not feed enough power to the passenger ballast and it won't light up. This is if I leave my lights in auto mode.

Now when I notice this I simply cycle my lights on/off and they come on fine, but it's something to do with the power available on startup that causes this I think. That the driver side ballast draws too much power and doesn't allow the passenger side enough to fire up. I'm tired of cycling the switch and I want to fix this.

One idea I had was split it into 2 harnesses. Where each light is controlled from the factory plug on that side of the car. It just means double the relays, which is not as clean as I'd like it to be.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? this is the first car I've experimented with HID's on.

Also, does anyone know if the high beam signal is a pulsed signal like the low/DRL? I may just eliminate the high beam relay entirely and use that relay for the other side harness. I don't have a scope though (or meter for that matter) that is capable of detecting pulses, just average voltage.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
seanjhon

Drives: 2013 camaro
Don't know if I'm understanding if u have same issue as I did but I installed HIDs on my camaro and had the flickering issue with one headlight. Bought a relay harness off of eBay, found a ground bolt behind fender, screwed ground wire. Then screwed the other wire to the positive outlet in engine bay and haven't had a problem since.

Look here starting at post 32
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=318717&page=2

Splicing and stuff gets tricky sometimes and I hear nothing but issues when people splice in aftermarket lights and such. I bypass all splicing and run all my accessories to their own switch and own power source utilizing relays and such.
seanjhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
I don't have anything spliced into the factory harness. My DIY harness plugs into the factory light bulb plug and powers the lights from there. Everything runs off my factory switches.

Interesting though, I will definitely try just finding a better ground near to the passenger ballast first.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
The high beam does not use the DRL power so no need for that relay.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote