Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 11-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
SpeedDemon77

Drives: Garnet Red 2017 2SS
Unhappy Starter Wont Turn over and Smoke

Ok, So i just drove out 1 hour, parked for about 3 hours then got back in the car and started it up just fine. I drove an hour back and had zero problems, I stopped the car turned it off and then got back in about 2-3 minutes later. When I tried to start it, it was very slow, I didnt think anything of it as the car does do this from time to time. Well it just kept going and going before my radar claimed low voltage I looked over and said oh shit, I turned off the engine. I then had a friend try to so can see what was happening and the alternator was turning but not turning the starter over and then it started smoking. It smelled of burning plastic and it came from the rear left side of the engine. I left the car in the parking lot for now but im just wondering if anyone has this problem, what it is and what I need to fix. Thank You!

Last edited by SpeedDemon77; 11-18-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: *It was the rear right side of the engine not engine bay
SpeedDemon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
My best guess is that if the smoke and smell was from the passenger side of the engine towards the rear - then the starter burned up. Bummer!

I have this slow crank issue as well. So far the car has always started but it will crank very slow once the engine is fully warmed up and then do a stop/re-start within a few minutes. I cross my fingers for a successful start every time this happens. Its not a comforting feeling.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome and repair solution.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
SpeedDemon77

Will do! Thanks for the info and i agree! I cross my fingers every time too lol.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:17 AM   #4
12camlt

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have had this same issue. Car is in the shop now. Tech says bad starter and are replacing. Hope this works!
12camlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
I had this happen to me as well.
It was the starter.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Yeah, after you let smoke out, electronic component rarely ever works well again.

I've had starters die, but it was used part and after most mortem inspection, there was internal corrosion, like part came from flood car.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
12camlt

My starter was the issue. When the dealer pulled it they said the electrical connection was partially broken and therefore trying to draw more amps from the other connection points or whatever. All I know is the car fires right up now and no hesitation. I realize my car was always bad with its starts....considering an extended warranty now cuz the car is 3 yrs old and has this many problems. Would have cost almost $1200 outside of warranty for a starter!!!
Old 02-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I toasted my starter, and I know of at least one more toasted starter. I changed it myself in about 90 minutes and it was $200 rebuilt. The dealer ripped GM off, cause it ain't 1200 to change a starter even at dealer gouge.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
12camlt

Weird. They told me they had to lift the car, pull out the catalytic converter and then drop a cross brace to get to it. Sounds like they were giving me a load of BS.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:27 AM   #10
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Cross brace yes, 10 minutes r&r I have headers, still $1200....don’t think so...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
SpeedDemon77

So after all this time, Everything is finally fixed..... I live in Daytona Beach Florida and the local dealer are really a couple of asses. They had my car over 4 times, returning it claiming that nothing was wrong with it and that it was my customs wires or oh my air intake(For whatever reason every time it wouldn’t start it flicked a check engine light for the air intake) blah blah blah.The first time it happened it smoked and wouldn’t start, I started it the next day and drove it directly to them. They claimed nothing was wrong. So the next week I drove it to party fair, went to start it wouldn’t start, had to get it towed to them. Nothing wrong, this happened two more times. Then one day before I was supposed to go back to the NE, I drove it to checkers with some friends I ate, went to start the car and it did its usual LONG extended sad crank and then it went CLICK. I was like crapppppp, I got out and told my friend to try and start it again while I Was looking at it and it clicked on the press of the button and a spark came out. I called a tow truck and towed it back to a safe place. Right when it came off of the tow truck I tried to start it and it started... SO my flight is the next day I went to bed woke up and walked to the car, started it and drove it to Orlando. I drove it to an off airport parking company and I left my car with them I get back one month later and the battery is a little bit low but the Starter wont even turn over anymore. It was officially completely DEAD. Still sitting in the space I left it. So I called AAA and they said they would tow it only 25 miles... So I said tow it wherever I don’t even care, pick a dealership that’s closer to the east coast. They towed it to Carl Black Chevrolet in Orlando and the customer service I received is amazing, they gave me a call the next day telling me how they received it, then proceeded to give me a daily update up to when the car was ready for pickup. When I went to pick up the vehicle they offered to wash it and I told them no because I always hand wash it but they Identified the problem as a low battery(sitting for 1 month) and a shitty starter, replaced both on warranty and had it ready for pickup in a reasonable time. I have to thank them, because they did a great job. Sorry for so much writing but its been a long time since I’ve posted so I have a lot to write My newest adventure is that I was coming back home when I was going maybe 30 downshifting with the A8 in manual and when it went into first gear it like prematurely shifted made quite an interesting exhaust note flicked a check engine light and reduced engine power while proceeding to turn the vehicle off so I’m limping it into my driveway that’s how close I am. I then Put it in park and try to start it. It wont start(like when you hold the power button and all the power but not engine), after I gave it like a 2 min break I tried to start it again and it started right up. I drove it to Carl Black right then. After a 1 hour drive the car seemed pretty normal when I got there they said that they would prob be able to get it in tom, shop closed in 45 minutes. I said alright let me think. I thought... Well its gonna be a $100.00 day to get back and $100.00 to get back here so ill just drive it home. It seemed pretty normal. I got him to check what the check engine light was for and it was for the Engine Intake Manifold. So that’s my new adventure but after starting it 3 starts it has disappeared now. So if it happens again Ill be sure to just give it to them. I apologize for the long wait, it has only just been completely fixed(Hopefully )
Old 02-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Wow! What a saga! I'm glad you got back home at least. I hate it when a car is probably ok but you have worries and doubts every time you go to start it. I'm sure you feel the same way. Best wishes that you have this behind you now.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
SpeedDemon77

Thank you @SSDan. Sorry it too so long to post an update :P
Old 02-11-2022, 08:33 AM   #14
adnan92

Drives: Camaro 2ss 2016
Hesitation during idle or starting? My car also has rough idle plus slow cranking

Last edited by adnan92; 02-11-2022 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Lack of information
adnan92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, smoke, smoking, starter