Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
A8 Trans Fluid Change Advice

So I am going to do a trans fluid change in my A8 auto 2017 SS. I don’t know if it had the TSB flush done so I am going to do it just in case.

I know the procedure; warm car, drain fluid, drop pan, change filter, clean, make sure car is level, pump in new fluid, run car to warm fluid to temp, run car through gears for 3 seconds, keep car running in neutral and open fluid level drain.

I have 12 quarts of the Mobil 1 blue label fluid. I know that dropping the pan and filter will take out about 7 quarts.

How much fluid drains out from just opening the level drain with the car off?

I want to used as much of the fluid I have as possible to replace as much of the old fluid as possible.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
If it was filled right from the last service or when the car was built, none.

When I did my fluid/filter change I didn’t warm the car up to operating temperature before sucking out the old fluid. It wasn’t completely cooled down either because I had driven it about two hours before I started.

Now do you mean how much fluid came out after putting the new fluid in and warming up the trans? 3oz. is what I got.

I measured every ounce that came out and tried to get it as close to the same amount going back in and a little more for the “drips” that kept falling while cleaning up the pan.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:43 PM   #3
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
So I am going to do a trans fluid change in my A8 auto 2017 SS. I don’t know if it had the TSB flush done so I am going to do it just in case.

I know the procedure; warm car, drain fluid, drop pan, change filter, clean, make sure car is level, pump in new fluid, run car to warm fluid to temp, run car through gears for 3 seconds, keep car running in neutral and open fluid level drain.

I have 12 quarts of the Mobil 1 blue label fluid. I know that dropping the pan and filter will take out about 7 quarts.

I want to used as much of the fluid I have as possible to replace as much of the old fluid as possible.
I’ve written this in many A8 threads but here goes again...

Just take it into a dealer and tell them you have the shudder. The TSB specifically states “no verification beyond customer complaint is required”. If it’s a ‘17, you should still be under your PTW.
The flush is way more involved than 12 quarts and just draining it. It takes the dealer 20, and involves a very specific procedure where they are running the engine to let the trans pump flush the fluid, while simultaneously pumping new fluid in and draining (IIRC).
If you have to pay for the procedure, it’s about $450 total, well worth not having to drain-fill-run-drain-fill.....which you’ll have to do to totally flush it without the proper equipment the dealer has. Plus the cost of 25+ quarts you’ll go through by doing it the backyard way!
If a dealer gives you a hassle, take it to another. Show them the TSB where it says no verification required if they “test drive” it and tell you they can’t duplicate the issue.
I had mine done as preventative last Fall. First dealer said they needed to verify it and needed the car for a week. I said no thanks and took it to another. They also said they had to test drive it, but it was raining later that day and my car has never been driven in rain and I told them I didn’t want it driven in the rain. I pointed out the wording on the TSB and they did the TSB without (I believe) driving it. GM paid them, why would they care?!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:45 AM   #4
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
I’ve written this in many A8 threads but here goes again...

Just take it into a dealer and tell them you have the shudder. The TSB specifically states “no verification beyond customer complaint is required”. If it’s a ‘17, you should still be under your PTW.
The flush is way more involved than 12 quarts and just draining it. It takes the dealer 20, and involves a very specific procedure where they are running the engine to let the trans pump flush the fluid, while simultaneously pumping new fluid in and draining (IIRC).
If you have to pay for the procedure, it’s about $450 total, well worth not having to drain-fill-run-drain-fill.....which you’ll have to do to totally flush it without the proper equipment the dealer has. Plus the cost of 25+ quarts you’ll go through by doing it the backyard way!
If a dealer gives you a hassle, take it to another. Show them the TSB where it says no verification required if they “test drive” it and tell you they can’t duplicate the issue.
I had mine done as preventative last Fall. First dealer said they needed to verify it and needed the car for a week. I said no thanks and took it to another. They also said they had to test drive it, but it was raining later that day and my car has never been driven in rain and I told them I didn’t want it driven in the rain. I pointed out the wording on the TSB and they did the TSB without (I believe) driving it. GM paid them, why would they care?!
This times 10! Let the dealership do it because as stated it is not just drop the pan, drain it and refill like you could years ago. I would rather know it was done right the first time then to second guess it.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:12 AM   #5
Spaceme1117

TP2SS and dmcmahan60 I appreciate the advice on the TSB flushing. I have considered having that done.

However, I have had too many bad experiences with Chevy stealerships that I don't trust any of them to even check the tire pressures on my car without FUBAR'ing it.

So I would rather do a partial flush myself instead.

I actually have not experienced any transmission shudder so my car may have already had the flush done (I am not the original owner).

I am going to do an oil change and diff fluid change and so I figured I would to the trans as well. For piece of mind partly also. (I just feel better knowing my car has all fresh fluid when it is a used car).

Just was looking for info on the best way to get as much fresh fluid in outside having the TSB done.

Regardless, I appreciate all your advice and insight.

And thanks for posting the info. I know that these questions have been asked and answered several times over. People always say to use the search function but unless you put in the exact wording as other people have posted, the search doesn't find it.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:23 AM   #6
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
TP2SS and dmcmahan60 I appreciate the advice on the TSB flushing. I have considered having that done.

However, I have had too many bad experiences with Chevy stealerships that I don't trust any of them to even check the tire pressures on my car without FUBAR'ing it.

So I would rather do a partial flush myself instead.

I actually have not experienced any transmission shudder so my car may have already had the flush done (I am not the original owner).

I am going to do an oil change and diff fluid change and so I figured I would to the trans as well. For piece of mind partly also. (I just feel better knowing my car has all fresh fluid when it is a used car).

Just was looking for info on the best way to get as much fresh fluid in outside having the TSB done.

Regardless, I appreciate all your advice and insight.

And thanks for posting the info. I know that these questions have been asked and answered several times over. People always say to use the search function but unless you put in the exact wording as other people have posted, the search doesn't find it.
Take it to a Cadillac dealer then. My Caddy dealer said he’d do the tsb for me on my SS when I took my wife’s CTS in for it last year when the shudder started on it. I got to talking with the writer and said I wanted to do the tsb on my SS even though it wasn’t shuddering, and he said just bring it in and he’d take care of it. That was going to be my next move if the Chevy dealer refused to do it. The flush is the same regardless of GM brand.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:42 AM   #7
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Good luck with your endeavors and any dealership should be able to use your VIN number to see if it has been done. As TP2SS said take it to any GM dealership and they should make it right. Good luck young man
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #8
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Any dealer should be able to input the VIN and see ALL of its past services. I checked my CarFax report, mentioned many services, but not a flush since the new fluid came out. Took the car to a Cadillac dealership, he input the VIN, lo and behold, it HAD the flush done already. Now granted, if it was not done at the dealer it will not show, but I bet 99% of the flushes for that problem was done at a dealership.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Another vote to take it in for the TSB and make sure you point out that they don't need to drive it to verify!
Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #10
Camaro Rules

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Lightbulb

I just had mine done...Although I had a Bad experience...I would Highly advise...taking it in!

Even the...Dealerships...professional mechanics...broke the tool that is used...on mine! I had to leave it...overnight...until they got a new tool.

It is not an easy process.. I have the TSB and it has all the...Requirements and pictures...
I have been working and doing repairs, fluid changes... on my cars...for 30+ years and I would not want too...attempt to do this...unless I would have...No other choice.

Good luck...if you do try...on your own...let us know how it...went!

That being said...

Does anyone know...who has had it done...Is there a break in type period or anything should be aware of? I wouldn't let them drive it...afterwards...I was told to take it easy...as the transmission...need to relearn to shift.

I drove it home...Easy and the temp...didn't get above 150 I think lol...Hard to get an exact reading on...Transmission Fluid Temp Garage. lol

I never did get the...Shudder...but I do feel a big difference in it...much smoother shifting and seems a bit tighter.

Glad I found the TSB for it, here on Camaro6!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:00 AM   #11
Doc Oc

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Take it to a different dealer if you don't trust the local one. No point paying for all that and going through the labor when chevy will do it for free. And if you screw it up, you're not covered. If they do, you are. It's a no brainer.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:24 AM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
How about:
1) call a dealer and have them check for previous flush by your VIN. Find out exactly which fluid they used to refill.
2) If it was done, and you still want peace of mind, maybe drain through the fill tube using a vacuum device. I'm assuming you can get a drain tube to the bottom of the pan this way. Measure what you extract, then refill. Then you will have had the flush plus a partial change.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:20 PM   #13
zirad54

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, MRC, NPP,
why are you trying to fix something that isn't broken? if you don't have the shudder and the car is not due for a trani flush, leave it alone and consider yourself lucky. By doing a partial flush you may induce issues that were not there before.
zirad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #14
Spaceme1117

My car is approaching the 45K mark and is due for a trans fluid and filter change.

And the TSB does not including changing the filter; only a trans fluid flush.

Going to do the change tomorrow.

Thanks.