Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #29
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I felt this way immediately after test driving a new manual 5.0 mustang. Nothing but, sloppy, loose, drive train, and gutless under 5,000rpm, not to mention fender gaps wide enough to kick a field goal through... piss poor assembly and quality control was what I got out of it.
I tried to sell him on a BRZ or an 86, no deal. Of course if I wanted to I could just say this is it, take it or leave it. However, the point is to give him his high school dream car....we'll see. I'm waiting to see what the guy who wants $25,500 says since I asked if he could beat $24,400.

What is your area 1LEornothing? Maybe I need to drive to get one. I just did a nationwide search and the lowest ask I could find was $21,462 down in Florida, my best right now is 22,154 plus all the fees and taxes taking me to $24,400.

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 03-09-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:24 AM   #30
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I tried to sell him on a BRZ or an 86, no deal. Of course if I wanted to I could just say this is it, take it or leave it. However, the point is to give him his high school dream car....we'll see. I'm waiting to see what the guy who wants $25,500 says since I asked if he could beat $24,400.

What is your area 1LEornothing? Maybe I need to drive to get one.

Have you looked at a used V6 Mustang? I believe you can find them recent enough to still have a warranty. They may not have the torque of the Ecoboost but they sound much better IMHO. It's still a very good performance car in its own right.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #31
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:

What is your area 1LEornothing? Maybe I need to drive to get one.
I'm in the south east, but I do travel significantly for my new purchases. I've found incredible deals at high volume dealerships across Georgia and Florida all in different counties and purchased on different years.

I drove nearly 800 miles round-trip for mom's new jap econobox a few years ago. Every dealer near me wanted $15K no wiggle room whatsoever. Found the same F'ing car for $10,200 across the state. Took the trip, happened to be a high volume dealer, process took much longer than average with the traveling, but in that situation I saved $4,200 sacrificing a free day traveling further away to purchase.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #32
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Have you looked at a used V6 Mustang? I believe you can find them recent enough to still have a warranty. They may not have the torque of the Ecoboost but they sound much better IMHO. It's still a very good performance car in its own right.
I have. I like the sound better, but some of the styling cues they added on the grill and the hood aren't on the older V6 models.

I'm really just trying to take advantage of what looks like a pretty small price differential between new and used. If I can pay $1,500 more and get him a new car rather than one that is a couple of years old with 20-30K miles on it, I'll be all over that.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #33
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
I have. I like the sound better, but some of the styling cues they added on the grill and the hood aren't on the older V6 models.

I'm really just trying to take advantage of what looks like a pretty small price differential between new and used. If I can pay $1,500 more and get him a new car rather than one that is a couple of years old with 20-30K miles on it, I'll be all over that.
New, whatever you choose, don't think it over, especially how these types of cars get driven. You want to buy new.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #34
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
New, whatever you choose, don't think it over, especially how these types of cars get driven. You want to buy new.

Yep for me I will ALWAYS buy a sports/performance car as new.

For a high-school or college kid though? Frankly I'd be buying them a compact car. Something boring to get from point A to point B. I dunno who is going to pay the insurance in the OP's situation but it's going to be brutal. However if they have the $$$ then more power to them!
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #35
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Ecoboost Mustang is fine. I have test driven one before with the old A6. Not sure about the engine longevity, do some research on that.

As others said, I would also factor insurance into the cost. Just ask for a quote before you pull the trigger. Young driver with no experience and a pony car could equate to high insurance cost.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #36
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Yep for me I will ALWAYS buy a sports/performance car as new.

For a high-school or college kid though? Frankly I'd be buying them a compact car. Something boring to get from point A to point B. I dunno who is going to pay the insurance in the OP's situation but it's going to be brutal. However if they have the $$$ then more power to them!
He's earned it. He had to maintain an A average over his first two years of high school despite a heavy load of honors and AP classes. He's sitting on a 4.11. If he keeps that above a 3.7 over the next two years he gets a free ride to college.

So this is a deal for me too. I pay $200 a month for insurance for three years, plus buy this car, but I don't have to pay for college.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #37
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
Camaro turbo 4 cyl.
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #38
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorrs View Post
Camaro turbo 4 cyl.
He said that was to close to what I have.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #39
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but obviously the Challenger will be a bit more practical with space and a AWD option. Not sure if that matters or not to you, but thought it was worth mentioning. Before my V6 Camaro I had a 2016 V6 Mustang. Got that for about 23k brand new. I love the V6 and T4 option muscle cars for general daily drivers. More fun than any Camry, Accord, etc..and just as affordable overall
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #40
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but obviously the Challenger will be a bit more practical with space and a AWD option. Not sure if that matters or not to you, but thought it was worth mentioning. Before my V6 Camaro I had a 2016 V6 Mustang. Got that for about 23k brand new. I love the V6 and T4 option muscle cars for general daily drivers. More fun than any Camry, Accord, etc..and just as affordable overall
I don't know, a V6/2.0T Accord with manual actually could be some fun as well. FWD is not the best for performance, but in incremental weather, it could be good for an inexperienced driver.

And if we are talking about a Mustang here, the manual in the Mustang feels like a family sedan manual anyway. You aren't missing out much. The A10 in the 2.0T Accord shifts pretty fast from what I have heard, too.

Those mid-size with the more powerful engines can pull somewhat decently nowadays. Where they lack in powertrain(FWD open diff), they make up with the better interior(weak point for all pony cars).

The only thing is that the 6-6(meaning V6 w/M6) Accord Coupes can cost a lot of money, too much IMO. The new Accord 2.0T manual, on the other hand, could potentially be had for a deal if they aren't selling.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #41
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I don't know, a V6/2.0T Accord with manual actually could be some fun as well. FWD is not the best for performance, but in incremental weather, it could be good for an inexperienced driver.

And if we are talking about a Mustang here, the manual in the Mustang feels like a family sedan manual anyway. You aren't missing out much. The A10 in the 2.0T Accord shifts pretty fast from what I have heard, too.

Those mid-size with the more powerful engines can pull somewhat decently nowadays. Where they lack in powertrain(FWD open diff), they make up with the better interior(weak point for all pony cars).

The only thing is that the 6-6(meaning V6 w/M6) Accord Coupes can cost a lot of money, too much IMO. The new Accord 2.0T manual, on the other hand, could potentially be had for a deal if they aren't selling.
I totally agree. Ironically my girlfriend has a 2019 Accord Sport with the A10. It's very impressive and is almost as fast as my V6 Camaro, handles almost as well, and is obviously far more practical. I almost considered buying one before we met, but at the end of the day I wanted RWD and something that looked much cooler IMO.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #42
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP nice choice for your son. The Challenger is good looking and condidered cool. And it is a bigger car with moderate speed. So it is a safer car for the youger set. But still quick enough to be fun. That new one OTD@ $25K looks good to me. But I do not know much about Challenger pricing. A Fun, safe good looking car, and with new no hassles.