Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Rear Speakers

Has anyone disassembled the convertibles plastic trim to access the speakers adjacent to the rear seats? If so is there a quick "how to" you can share?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
trukgirl

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Conv, 2015 Silverado CC
Send a message via Yahoo to trukgirl
I'd like to do this too... the rear speakers are not near as good quality sound as the front! The only thing I'd like to replace on the car.

Past Camaros:
2012 1LT Silver Ice
1989 RS 305v8 Medium Maui Metallic Blue, T tops
trukgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
River

Drives: RS
Anyone yet?
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Anyone yet?
Yes - it's a piece of cake. I have a 1SS, so the base system. The rear sail panels covering the speakers are removed by simply using a sharp edged trim tool.

Take the tool and press relatively hard around the outer edges, you'll find a sweet spot to begin lifting the insert, releasing the brass tabs. Take your time, be aware that some of the clips tabs may catch on the inner portion of larger sail panel. You'll see what I'm talking about. Once removed there's 4 screws holding the speakers in.

The base speakers and stock amp are cheap pieces of junk. GM should be ashamed. Don't bother changing the speakers without adding separate amp. It will make no difference, the amp is underpowered and not well isolated.

BTW, the speaker size denoted for our cars is wrong on websites I visited. If I remember correctly, they say they’re 5.25 inches. Nope, they're 6.5 inches ( be very careful about depth, you have little room for raised tweeters). As well, the retaining screws did not line up with my new speakers, so I had to install new clips.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 11-06-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
River

Drives: RS
Thanks Chutzpah,

The rear side speakers are not suitable for the stock radio and indeed sound like a pair of junk. I think the quality can be improved by changing the speakers a little bit. I am going with Kenwood 1665S that have high sensitivity and are supposed to work well with stock radios.

I am not into subwoofers, just want to improve the midrange a little bit. Right now I have to set the fader completely to the rears to tell they actually exist.
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Thanks Chutzpah,

The rear side speakers are not suitable for the stock radio and indeed sound like a pair of junk. I think the quality can be improved by changing the speakers a little bit. I am going with Kenwood 1665S that have high sensitivity and are supposed to work well with stock radios.

I am not into subwoofers, just want to improve the midrange a little bit. Right now I have to set the fader completely to the rears to tell they actually exist.
Just an FYI, maybe you'll have better luck than me - I'm not into SW's either. I tried changing the speakers only with JBL GX602's. These are more sensitive to power input than the speakers you've selected... 2 ohm, as opposed to 4 ohm. At least for my 1SS, that made no discernible difference in sound quality or volume. I want to hear my stereo with the top down on the highway. I needed to buy a two channel amp to pump up those speakers. Good luck..
Old 11-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
Sorry to say all true! I have the Bose and poor sound and yes the rear sides are 6.5 but the speaker is a 5-5.25 speaker in a 6.5 frame. Yes the mounting depth is about 60 mm back flange. I just found from Amazon a mid woofer that is only 46 mm deep and are 4 ohm same as factory but can handle 100 watts and are 6.5 dia. I wanted more mid bass from the rear sides as well as removing all bose speakers and upgrading them and bypassing the poor bose amp. Cost a lot of $$ but way better.

But maybe if you wanted a better speaker for the factory amp and more of a mid say 100 hz to 3K this maybe the answer. Search Amazon for "Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X 6.5-inch Shallow Woofer System Subwoofers"

Christopher
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote