Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #15
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Do V6 1LE's have aggressive pads? Maybe you need to use them and get glaze off? Just a thought before you go too far looking for an anomaly...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #16
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
If you think it's related in any way to wheel rotation, put one corner at a time in the air and spin the wheel by hand. You'd be surprised at how horrendous some noises can be with such a minor issue...

https://youtu.be/iwx0HxDw-_8
Great video!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:27 AM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Great video!
lol! That had to be the most horrendous noise I've ever heard that was little more than just a noise... It seems pretty unlikely that A) that tiny little stone could have gotten in there in the first place (without also being able to fall back out through the bottom - seems the shield might have been able to be designed a little better) and B) that it would have ever done any damage before it had gotten pushed out on its own.

Can you imagine parking your car with zero issues and then when you drive off you hear that?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #18
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
Do V6 1LE's have aggressive pads? Maybe you need to use them and get glaze off? Just a thought before you go too far looking for an anomaly...
I was wondering the same thing! It has the SS Brembos on the front but regular rears. I have to run an errand today and I'll try "bedding" the pads a bit to see if that helps. The car has less than 3000 miles on it so this is definitely a possible cause.

If all else fails, it's still under warranty so I can have the dealer take a look.

Thanks again!
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #19
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
What he said!
Old 04-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #20
Silent_H_

I just went out and bedded the brakes (wow they are strong!) but the sound is still there. I think I'll take it in and have the pros take a look! Could even be a bad wheel bearing or something.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #21
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
To me, it just sounds like the brake pads rubbing on the rotor. You hear it at low speeds because the ambient noise levels are lower and brake pads never really 'lift off' the brake rotor when not in use, they just drag. Driving alongside a brick wall or something reflective, you would hear it far more clearly.

Given the large rotors and more aggressive pad compounds, it's likely a bit more audible than most other cars. I have spun the wheels of a few of my cars when up in the air and you can hear the brake pad rubbing on the rotor slightly making a metallic friction noise.

I'd recommend getting some water and misting the rotor (or throw a touch of dish soap or car wash soap in the bottle) and spinning the wheel. It should quiet down once you reduce the friction between the pad/rotor combination.

Just my guess at this time!
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #22
Silent_H_

Update for anyone who cared: dealer took a look at it and said everything is normal. No hanging calipers or anything. So apparently it's just normal brake noise. I guess aggressive brakes make aggressive sound!

Thanks again for all the advice! You guys are awesome.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #23
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post
Update for anyone who cared: dealer took a look at it and said everything is normal. No hanging calipers or anything. So apparently it's just normal brake noise. I guess aggressive brakes make aggressive sound!

Cool! Now, go enjoy. ��
Old 04-15-2021, 07:19 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post

Glad to know.

I'll be honest, I didn't hear anything much from the videos you posted, but I know that you can get different noises at different speeds. I don't hear anything from my brakes (well, except that ONE time... lol) and the car stops solid and smooth.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #25
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Glad to know.

I'll be honest, I didn't hear anything much from the videos you posted, but I know that you can get different noises at different speeds. I don't hear anything from my brakes (well, except that ONE time... lol) and the car stops solid and smooth.
Yeah it was quiet in the videos. When I drive next to a parked car or something though it really sounds like something is wrong. Either way, glad to know everything is good to go.