Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #1
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Self install FBO will it start?

If I install FBO (CAI, Manifold, TB, Headers) myself, will the car start and be driveable to a nearby tuner or would it have to get remote tuned?
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
itll be drivable but i suggest disabling the codes before starting the car as the emissions stuff won't go away.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:12 AM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
itll be drivable but i suggest disabling the codes before starting the car as the emissions stuff won't go away.
Exactly. Set all the cat related codes to “No Error Reported” before starting the car.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMuscle View Post
If I install FBO (CAI, Manifold, TB, Headers) myself, will the car start and be driveable to a nearby tuner or would it have to get remote tuned?
Do one mod at a time, drive it , test it, no cel, do the next one etc etc. If you do everything at one time and the car doesnt run correctly or a cel comes on, you will not know what is wrong. Drive the car a couple of days for each mod, If a cel comes on or not running right, you know its the mod you just did.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
I think OP is asking if it has to be remote tuned immediately..

I would say you can drive it to your normal tuner but it will throw all kinds of emissions codes. Have your tuner work his magic to ignore all emissions codes once you get there.
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaligood View Post
I think OP is asking if it has to be remote tuned immediately..

I would say you can drive it to your normal tuner but it will throw all kinds of emissions codes. Have your tuner work his magic to ignore all emissions codes once you get there.
You should always be able to drive the car before you tune it. But the OP would be smart doing one mod at a time, drive it , let the car learn what it needs to learn, after a couple of days and no cel, do the next mod, drive, drive, restart etc, go on to the next mod etc etc.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It will be driveable but Post 2 and 3 are spot on. If you drive the car before addressing the CEL's that will come on due to the headers on a 2017+, you will never get them to go away. They will be stored as permanent codes and will not go away until you put the car back to stock and it completes it's emission test. So if you live in a inspection state that plugs into the ECU then you will fail inspection. I don't believe Florida is an inspection state so it may not matter to you.

Personally I would install mods, get base tune with the o2 codes disabled, flash base tune, then go log data and send log to tuner so tune can be revised. So I would use remote tuning from somebody like Pray, GPI, Rickifast, or Jenetty.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #8
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Do one mod at a time, drive it , test it, no cel, do the next one etc etc. If you do everything at one time and the car doesnt run correctly or a cel comes on, you will not know what is wrong. Drive the car a couple of days for each mod, If a cel comes on or not running right, you know its the mod you just did.
This is the way.
Cmon guy
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #9
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaOrange View Post
This is the way.
Cmon guy
For me it is , I do not have a scanner to read codes, I do not like to depend on outside help with these ultra high tech modern cars of today. The diagnostic procedures and equipment needed to diagnose electronic, fuel, and air intake issues is beyond my backyard scope of things. I have to keep things as simple and uncomplicated has possible or stop doing old school type mods on modern computerized tightly controlled cars.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:06 PM   #10
GermanMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
It will be driveable but Post 2 and 3 are spot on. If you drive the car before addressing the CEL's that will come on due to the headers on a 2017+, you will never get them to go away. They will be stored as permanent codes and will not go away until you put the car back to stock and it completes it's emission test. So if you live in a inspection state that plugs into the ECU then you will fail inspection. I don't believe Florida is an inspection state so it may not matter to you.

Personally I would install mods, get base tune with the o2 codes disabled, flash base tune, then go log data and send log to tuner so tune can be revised. So I would use remote tuning from somebody like Pray, GPI, Rickifast, or Jenetty.
Is there a downside/disadvantage to do remote tune vs a dyno tune?
Old 05-30-2021, 09:42 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMuscle View Post
Is there a downside/disadvantage to do remote tune vs a dyno tune?
Dyno tuning is the best as long as the car is street driven and the tune is verified. Remote tuning usually requires a little more time to get right on more extensive setups. However with basic bolt-on somebody like Pray can usually have the tune 90% on the first attempt.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:24 AM   #12
GermanMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Dyno tuning is the best as long as the car is street driven and the tune is verified. Remote tuning usually requires a little more time to get right on more extensive setups. However with basic bolt-on somebody like Pray can usually have the tune 90% on the first attempt.
And the other 10% would happen with data logging and sending it to the remote tuner?