Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 08-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
The front-most and rear-most pinch welds should work for the respective wheel (front / rear) but may not be quite enough to lift the entire side of the car without twisting it. And, on the 'vert, the second front pinch weld (behind the first) is inaccessible due to the cross members underneath for rigidity. These would be the most common points to use to lift the entire side of the car from one place...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #30
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt View Post
Here are pics of the spare in the trunk with the top down. Note there are already cutouts for tools or tow hook.

We come from long distance motorcycle touring. Even with the top down and lugging a spare tire, we still have more room than we've had in years.

In the blurry shot I was trying to show how much clearance you've got. One shot shows spaced gained on each side and now there's a pretty decent size place for the groceries. The silver box looks important so I'll protect that and anchor the tire down. We travel in a lot of remote places, I like to be able to at least try and get myself out of trouble.

The last shot is a set of w/t for sale up the road. I don't need them but I want them...
Thank you for the helpful info and pics. How are you bypassing the divider?
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #31
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The front-most and rear-most pinch welds should work for the respective wheel (front / rear) but may not be quite enough to lift the entire side of the car without twisting it. And, on the 'vert, the second front pinch weld (behind the first) is inaccessible due to the cross members underneath for rigidity. These would be the most common points to use to lift the entire side of the car from one place...

I lift it on the first weld and put a jack stand under the bolt that holds the cross bar.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
As far as the spring spacers, the owners manual says the SSLE and ZL1 (non 1LE) may need them installed. Don’t want to find out... but will carry anyway.

The verts trunk storage leaves much to be desired, so carrying a tire for a road trip isn’t really impacting how I’d travel. A couple duffel bags strapped in the back seat will work nicely.

You do make an interesting point about jacking with a flat. The jack provided by modern spare is a toss up as to whether it will fit or not (with a flat, on ZL1). However, the structure is so rigid I know you can jack from a different pinch weld and in effect, lift the entire side of the car some. I’ll add a block of wood or structural foam to my kit... jack a bit, install block, lower jack, move jack to appropriate location for wheel removal.

A spare may not be for everybody, I just know that waiting for help is not my style.
Good point about the trunk not being used anyway.

Those spacers are something you probably won't be concerned with if you ever need a tow. Tow trucks use ramps etc to reduce the angle so a couple inches isn't going to make much difference. From the factory it was needed for loading on trains etc. But if you have them by all means throw in with the spare.

Reason I know about the jack is I had a blow out on my 5th Gen ZL1 once and had to drive to a shop and get a wheel/tire. Then had to go back and get a different "low profile" jack.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #33
3Putt

Drives: 2020 SS
One last thought on the Modern Spare. I like it and will carry it when going out of town but it is heavy. I removed it yesterday, got in the car, and had to adjust the side mirrors down just a hair. I'm going with a flat repair kit in town.

I removed the organizer, the repair kit fit perfect, jumpers and tow hook in the bag and more room to stash stuff. Will make sure nothing slides around.
Attached Images

3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #34
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
You’re right, it is a bit heavy, I can’t imagine its less than 40lbs.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote