Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #85
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Does a ported supercharger including the 103mm throttle body require headers?
This raises the interesting question of, which single mod provides the most HP/$?

Surely headers are near the top of the list.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #86
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
This raises the interesting question of, which single mod provides the most HP/$?

Nothing is cheap on these cars. For a forced induction vehicle though, typically increasing boost is the most cost effective HP mod which means a pulley swap, however because the stock exhaust manifolds are so restrictive on these cars, it pretty much becomes necessary when increasing the boost. Headers are not cheap, nor is installation if you pay someone to do it and hen you must also have the PCM tuned which adds more cost. The way these cars are designed, its almost like there are no cheap effective HP mods without some expensive supporting mod to go with it. Even after you go full bolt on, then you have to go into the engine to add a cam for more fuel, even if you didn't want a cam, it becomes a necessity to continue to increase power.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #87
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
With respect to Headers, just remember that they pose warranty challenges and almost always make the car less drivable. There are also often issues with heat in the engine bay (requiring ceramic coating or heat wrapping) and non-– OEM gasket fittings. So while headers may be very effective, you will be happiest if you know what to expect.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #88
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
So while headers may be very effective, you will be happiest if you know what to expect.
I haven't noticed any negative effects of my Kooks. On the other hand they look good, sound good, and add 15 hp or so
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.

Last edited by JSH; 05-04-2021 at 06:54 PM.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #89
Z OH 6

Quote:
With respect to Headers, just remember that they pose warranty challenges and almost always make the car less drivable. There are also often issues with heat in the engine bay (requiring ceramic coating or heat wrapping) and non-– OEM gasket fittings. So while headers may be very effective, you will be happiest if you know what to expect.
I don't know if less drivable is a good description of the cons. There are some tradeoffs if you install uncoated headers, but a good ceramic coating goes a LONG ways to preventing heat buildup in the engine bay. My 2" Kooks have the ultra extreme 2500 degree coating and its cooler in the engine bay than the stock manifolds by far but it did come at a hefty expense ($800). I'm not aware of any gasket issues that I've heard of. Bottom line in my opinion, headers aren't cheap at all, factor in that you will also need a tune as well which is an additional cost and you can't reuse the OEM catalytic converters, so you'll have to go catless or high flow cats (additional expense). The only real negative I see other than cost is that headers will hang a little lower than the stock exhaust which means ground clearance could potentially be an issue but won't for most.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 05-05-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #90
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
How would headers make the car less drivable? More heat? Just wrap them or coat them. Non oem gaskets? Ok..... don't see the issue there.

What I think of for daily use issues would big a big ass cam. Exhaust is at the bottom of my list on making a vehicle less drivable.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #91
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
How would headers make the car less drivable? More heat? Just wrap them or coat them. Non oem gaskets? Ok..... don't see the issue there.

What I think of for daily use issues would big a big ass cam. Exhaust is at the bottom of my list on making a vehicle less drivable.
Have you ever had headers on the car? I have on many cars. They leak, they throw off heat, they cause drone, etc., etc., etc. They also posed emissions and warranty issues in applicable states, including my State of California. Another way to think about it is that manufacturers do not often "leave a lot on the table" in terms of power/drivability. In other words if you want to increase the power or an existing set up, you will likely sacrifice drivability and reliability. Of course, moving to a larger capacity supercharger, additional fuel and a tune (warranty and breakage issues aside) modifies the existing set up to allow more headroom.

What comprises an acceptable modification will vary from person to person and especially from state to state. People in some states (for example Texas) seem to be more willing to accept big camps, no catalytic converters, etc. in a daily driver.

My point is simply that the person choosing the modification should just understand what they are getting into.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #92
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Have you ever had headers on the car? I have on many cars. They leak, they throw off heat, they cause drone, etc., etc., etc. They also posed emissions and warranty issues in applicable states, including my State of California. Another way to think about it is that manufacturers do not often "leave a lot on the table" in terms of power/drivability. In other words if you want to increase the power or an existing set up, you will likely sacrifice drivability and reliability. Of course, moving to a larger capacity supercharger, additional fuel and a tune (warranty and breakage issues aside) modifies the existing set up to allow more headroom.

What comprises an acceptable modification will vary from person to person and especially from state to state. People in some states (for example Texas) seem to be more willing to accept big camps, no catalytic converters, etc. in a daily driver.

My point is simply that the person choosing the modification should just understand what they are getting into.
Yes. I had full exhaust on my 6 spd 06 GTO. Living between NC and GA I never had any issues from it, 0, nothing. No exhaust leaking, no droning (though that's mainly cat back/axle back exhaust root cause), no overheating or noticeable heat difference, etc., etc. I didn't have any heat wrap or coating.

My point is that headers do not cause any significant issues to the car being drivable. It made it perform better and had 0 side effects. A cam is what I consider something that'll affect a vehicle driving aspect or a very stiff clutch.

Living in California, people might as well just drive hybrids or EVs. California even hates OEM parts. They stopped the selling of Camaro's...... just saying.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:08 AM   #93
Sickspeedkuwait

Drives: '17 ZL1 M6
Update for my setup and some tests

Added a braided snow WMI (40/60) using a single 9GPH nozzle.

Fuel adjustment only for cooling purposes (Summer is HELL here)

95F temp & 93 octane

Same tune - 626whp (AFR was in high 10's) WMI ON
Map 1 - 676whp (AFR High 11.8-11.9) WMI ON
Map 1 - 661whp (AFR 12.3-12.4) WMI OFF
Map 2 with 1.5* of added timing - 685whp (AFR 11.8-11.9) WMI ON

Goal was to add this for cooling only and not be dependent on meth whatsoever since I am against these kits as a fuel source and ultimately ran out of options
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2022, 01:24 AM   #94
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Great thread. Why did you ever stop posting!
Old 06-07-2022, 05:12 AM   #95
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Any drivability issues going with a larger TB?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:20 AM   #96
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Any drivability issues going with a larger TB?
None that I've seen since mine was installed. My car was tuned with the larger TB also.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:05 AM   #97
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
When we switched the car over to a 103, it acted like it didn't even care. It could be because we fought with an over-ported LT5 TB earlier, so some of the homework was already done, but moving to a 103 didn't change much. The torque model is off, because calculated HP has gone up crazy, but drivability-wise - no biggie.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:44 AM   #98
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post

Thats a great question... I would guess a FlexFuel kit would win hands down?
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote