#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #29
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig View Post
The problem with the Corvette for me and many of my contemporaries (45 year old GenXer here) is that the Corvette screams baby boomer crisis machine. THe Camaro is so much cooler and actually affordable for younger buyers. Even the ZR1 is a total beast and I could have afforded one, but I just cannot see myself in an old man's wet dream come true. I actually owned 2 Vipers before precisely because they weren't Corvettes. Don;t get me wrong, the Corvette is an insane performance machine but I get more comments and looks from the Camaro, especially from younger folks than my father ever got in his cheesy Corvettes and I ever got in my Vipers. I think the future is LT5 Camaro. I would keep my 18' ZL1 but if an LT5 Camaro comes out, instant trade! But I won't go Corvette. Chevy needs to pay attention to this buyer segment.
I’ve never bought a car to impress people or make a statement. I bought my first Corvette (an LS3 C6) when I was in my mid 20’s, and didn’t give a damn what anyone thought. It was all about the performance potential — light weight car that can make a ton of power without much effort. That car made 720 rwhp and could run with an Alpha 9 GTR.

That said, I don’t think the C6 and C7 (at least the Z51/GS/Zxx models) carry the midlife crisis stigma like older generations. At least not any more than the 6th gen Camaro carries the mullet cut, Pabst blue ribbon drinking, wife beater wearing stigma.

I’d love an LT5 powered Camaro, but I also doubt it’s going to happen.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #30
dickh

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue ZL1 A10 coupe
Hello 396SSrat:

Well sonny, I'm going to be 70 in three weeks and I can get in and out of any vehicle on the road, including Corvettes. And I drove my 2018 ZL1 176 at the Texas mile, so I'm not yet feeble. I will admit to being down to once a day for sex, but I'm working on increasing my average.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #31
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickh View Post
Hello 396SSrat:

Well sonny, I'm going to be 70 in three weeks and I can get in and out of any vehicle on the road, including Corvettes. And I drove my 2018 ZL1 176 at the Texas mile, so I'm not yet feeble. I will admit to being down to once a day for sex, but I'm working on increasing my average.

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #32
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Hello 396SSrat:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #33
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettmess24 View Post
I find the exact opposite in my experience and I’m 39...to me the ZL1 doesn’t even compare in the looks dept...and let’s not even start with the Camaro stigma!

I prefer the road course over a drag strip.

Also agree chevy will not put the LT5 in the Camaro while the ZR1 is being sold...unless they say F it all here is our Z28 answer to the GT500....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huge fan of the Grand Sport Vettes. That said I'm confused by the "road course over a drag strip" comment. The 6th Gen ZL1s hold their own at the track. The image below shows production car lap records at Big Willow Springs...
Attached Images

BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #34
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
LT5 Camaro???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDivine76 View Post
Huge fan of the Grand Sport Vettes. That said I'm confused by the "road course over a drag strip" comment. The 6th Gen ZL1s hold their own at the track. The image below shows production car lap records at Big Willow Springs...

You answered your own question. Pretty good for a car down almost 200HP.

Don’t want to start with same driver, same conditions etc. etc. the ZL1 is an awesome car and I might order one but the Grand Sport is more fun to drive for ME. I prefer NA and a manual but the ZL1 will be an auto unless I go 1LE.

Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #35
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
You answered your own question. Pretty good for a car down almost 200HP.

Don’t want to start with same driver, same conditions etc. etc. the ZL1 is an awesome car and I might order one but the Grand Sport is more fun to drive for ME. I prefer NA and a manual but the ZL1 will be an auto unless I go 1LE.

I didn't post my comment to suggest somehow that the ZL1 is better than the GS. In fact, I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to buy a GS now. I was only making the comment to refute the stereotype that Camaros are only straight line cars and that if you want something that turns you need a Corvette. Both are good and both have their buying segments.

That said, every objective review with data confirms the ZL1 handles extremely well in addition to having the LT4...it's more than just a one trick pony. Showing the excerpt from the big willow times is a complement to both the GS and the ZL1...not exactly bad company. I will also say that while it does have more power as you point out HP isn't everything. If it were there would be Hellcats and Demons on the list...but there aren't. As a final note, both the GS and the ZL1 did have the same driver - it was Randy Pobst as part of the Motor Trend testing.

Again, not making a judgement about which car is the right one for you, both are great. Just correcting the stigma that ZL1s (6th Gen Camaros for that matter) don't do well on a road course, they have come a long way in recent years.
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #36
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
I find the exact opposite in my experience and I’m 39...to me the ZL1 doesn’t even compare in the looks dept...and let’s not even start with the Camaro stigma!

I prefer the road course over a drag strip.

Also agree chevy will not put the LT5 in the Camaro while the ZR1 is being sold...unless they say F it all here is our Z28 answer to the GT500....

This is an exceptionally nice looking car.. Style is great.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #37
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
I can't imagine that engine in a Camaro with an A10....perma-chub!lol
The available horsepower even without a tune is amazing.
Ben's car is just a Beast!
Attached Images

Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #38
396ssrat

Quote:
Hello 396SSrat:

Yeah but you're a Texan.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #39
396ssrat

Quote:
Hello 396SSrat:

BTW, you are my junior in time.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #40
dickh

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue ZL1 A10 coupe
That being the case, we should gather together and exchange ideas to raise the daily rate of activity. By the way, the Texan comment was outstanding. And you won't be surprised to know how much my wife laughed when she saw this thread.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #41
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDivine76 View Post
I didn't post my comment to suggest somehow that the ZL1 is better than the GS. In fact, I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to buy a GS now. I was only making the comment to refute the stereotype that Camaros are only straight line cars and that if you want something that turns you need a Corvette. Both are good and both have their buying segments.

That said, every objective review with data confirms the ZL1 handles extremely well in addition to having the LT4...it's more than just a one trick pony. Showing the excerpt from the big willow times is a complement to both the GS and the ZL1...not exactly bad company. I will also say that while it does have more power as you point out HP isn't everything. If it were there would be Hellcats and Demons on the list...but there aren't. As a final note, both the GS and the ZL1 did have the same driver - it was Randy Pobst as part of the Motor Trend testing.

Again, not making a judgement about which car is the right one for you, both are great. Just correcting the stigma that ZL1s (6th Gen Camaros for that matter) don't do well on a road course, they have come a long way in recent years.

I agree with you 100%!

Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #42
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Hello 396SSrat:
Wow! Good come back. Let us know how it goes and also your formula for success. This thread will then be ripe to be a sticky for most of us.

This LT5 ZL1 version is important for the HP race and Chevy's cred. But unless the ZL1-R has some new twists will it be worth the $15-25K? upgrade for 100 HP for current ZL1 owners? Especially when the ZL1 is already so good and 100 hp is a few $K away. Not for me anyway. At some point when is too much too much?