Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #15
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I just put these tires on my ss today. I gotta say, i was not prepared for the performance difference. I'm sure it'll just take some getting used to, but his car feels sloppy, slow to respond, and it makes me nervous to take a good corner. If i wanted a soft cushy ride I would have kept my Honda Accord. I'll give them a chance, but first impression is, its a totally different car, and I don't like it..... I don't see anything high performance about them.

Thanks...just scratched off my list.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #16
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Thanks...just scratched off my list.
I’m actually getting them swapped out for a summer only tire again, hopefully that gives me back the crisp responsiveness I’m used to. I shoulda just bought a set of ZL1 wheel and tire takeoffs like I wanted to.
Baddawg53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #17
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Yep I say be prepared for change of steering feel. I have Conti Extreme DWS up front and sport steering feels almost like I'm in tour steering. Still corners well but you cam tell difference from supercar 3.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #18
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I had them at 'cold weather' tires on my C7. Great tire, highly recommend. The do not, however, leave those nice black tire tracks when you feel like doing a hole-shot.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #19
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
I'd like to try the Michelin PS3AS+ but finding a store that carries the stock size is proving difficult, lol. That's why I'm going with the DWS06

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #20
majik755

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS Fiftieth Anniversary
I had the Conti DWS on my last car and they are a great All Season performance tire. Can't be compared to the summer performance tires, that's apples and oranges. The Summer tires were great in warm weather, but driving them when the temp drops below 40, the tires slipped like I was driving on water. The compound get soft and sticks in the heat, but is useless in cold. Living in Northern VA, I either have to swap tires when weather gets cold or stay with the DWS, which keep the car drivable all year round.
majik755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #21
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
I'd like to try the Michelin PS3AS+ but finding a store that carries the stock size is proving difficult, lol. That's why I'm going with the DWS06

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Try the BF G-Force Comp 2 A/S, they handle and perform much better than the DWS06, but they don't do quite as well in the snow.

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #22
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Cooper Zeon a good handling tire?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #23
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Some say the Cooper Zeons are the way to go.
I think I was the first to get the newest model Zeon all-seasons when they came out. If Cooper made the Mickey S/S tires in all season with longer tread life, this is probably what they would be.

The sidewalls aren't as soft as the Conti's, so they don't need as much warm up to get round before you roadforce them. My car will sit cold for 2-3 days at a time and the tires smooth out within 5 minutes (about how long it takes before the psi in the tires starts to climb).

After 10k miles on them, they have more than half their tread left. The wet weather is still the same as day two (day one needed some dry burnouts to get the sheen off of them). I would say these are better than the General AS-03's I had on the 2013 for all season duty. If I'm being honest, I want to try the AS-05's to see if they also improved as much as these latest Zeon's have.

The current generation Zeon's are what Roush uses on their Mustangs, but that isn't saying much because they put 275 tires on a 600hp+ vehicle just so it can break loose whenever the driver wants -- like a Hellcat.

If asked if I would buy these tires again, I would definitely say yes, but I wish they offered more sizes on the wider widths. A 305/30/20 or 305/35/19 would be nice.

Honestly, almost any all-season performance tire is going to feel better and handle better in real weather than the stock runflats do. I think it was kind of dumb to offer a poor performance runflat just to save 3 lbs by removing the tire inflator. Yes, the Camaro has great numbers completely stock, but you can change to so many other street tires and improve your numbers over what the factory provided.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #24
JaxChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Cooper Zeon a good handling tire?
Since it is an all-season, the shoulder doesn't wrap around as much as they do on a max performance summer tire. The downside to reduced shoulder is less lateral limit and a little stutter when it starts talking to tell you that you are near the limit. But that is the nature of all-season vs summer-only. You're not going to have 500 AAA treadlife and wet traction with summer tire shoulders that extend the lateral limit by rolling over. And 500 treadlife is never going to beat the straight line torque handling of something under 300 treadlife, not matter what the compound is made of.

If you like to drive your car year round or live in an area that sees rain frequently (Florida is a rainy place, Sunshine State is between showers) then you want all-season and firmer compound. Soft compounds become very slippery when they get wet.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #25
JaxChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
Yep I say be prepared for change of steering feel. I have Conti Extreme DWS up front and sport steering feels almost like I'm in tour steering. Still corners well but you cam tell difference from supercar 3.
The Conti's just have too soft of a sidewall. You're going to lose that direct steering feel when you go from rock hard sidewall to one of the softest all-season sidewalls on the market. It will always feel like mushy on those tires.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #26
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
I think I was the first to get the newest model Zeon all-seasons when they came out. If Cooper made the Mickey S/S tires in all season with longer tread life, this is probably what they would be.

The sidewalls aren't as soft as the Conti's, so they don't need as much warm up to get round before you roadforce them. My car will sit cold for 2-3 days at a time and the tires smooth out within 5 minutes (about how long it takes before the psi in the tires starts to climb).

After 10k miles on them, they have more than half their tread left. The wet weather is still the same as day two (day one needed some dry burnouts to get the sheen off of them). I would say these are better than the General AS-03's I had on the 2013 for all season duty. If I'm being honest, I want to try the AS-05's to see if they also improved as much as these latest Zeon's have.

The current generation Zeon's are what Roush uses on their Mustangs, but that isn't saying much because they put 275 tires on a 600hp+ vehicle just so it can break loose whenever the driver wants -- like a Hellcat.

If asked if I would buy these tires again, I would definitely say yes, but I wish they offered more sizes on the wider widths. A 305/30/20 or 305/35/19 would be nice.

Honestly, almost any all-season performance tire is going to feel better and handle better in real weather than the stock runflats do. I think it was kind of dumb to offer a poor performance runflat just to save 3 lbs by removing the tire inflator. Yes, the Camaro has great numbers completely stock, but you can change to so many other street tires and improve your numbers over what the factory provided.
Yep, it would be nice if there were more all season options in 305/30/20.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #27
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 79 View Post
Try the BF G-Force Comp 2 A/S, they handle and perform much better than the DWS06, but they don't do quite as well in the snow.
thanks for the info..i had DWS06 on my 12' Camaro that i got rid of and were decent, but this time plan to go with the BFG Comp2 A/S for my DD Daytona 392 car. I need a tire that does well in hard rains cause of the standing water and streams across the highways we get. As far as the Zl1, not sure what tire i will do for those when its time. The ZL1 factory tires are Ok in wet, but dangerous IMO with the heavy downpours.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #28
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
thanks for the info..i had DWS06 on my 12' Camaro that i got rid of and were decent, but this time plan to go with the BFG Comp2 A/S for my DD Daytona 392 car. I need a tire that does well in hard rains cause of the standing water and streams across the highways we get. As far as the Zl1, not sure what tire i will do for those when its time. The ZL1 factory tires are Ok in wet, but dangerous IMO with the heavy downpours.
On my 2016 GT, I had the stock pirelli summer tires and the BFG Comp 2 were better in every performance category (except for repeated laps on a track). It seems like the run flats that come with the camaro are equally as poor, so I plan to switch to the BFG Comp 2 this fall.

For hard driving on the street in all seasons, the only better tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, but they don't seem to make those in our size.

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote