Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Bryanh24

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Longtubes and borla

Has any one done long tubes with the borla s type catback? If so, how loud is it? Tuner told me it's very risky to do 2.30 upper without doing longtubes? Thanks.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
What's the risk the cats?

Wife has the Borla Atak and eforce on her SS As soon as Borla releases the Carbon tips for the Zl1 I will be running the same combo.. the SS fits but the tubes exiting the mufflers going to the tips are smaller diameter than the Zl1s.. The Borla tech says that the zl1 needs the larger diameter which personally I do not think it matters.

If your blowing the warranty with a pulley swap you need to go long tubes no cats unless you have to do a visual state inspection.. why not make the most power doing this later if changing your mind will cost more for a retune ect..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Bryanh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
What's the risk the cats?

Wife has the Borla Atak and eforce on her SS As soon as Borla releases the Carbon tips for the Zl1 I will be running the same combo.. the SS fits but the tubes exiting the mufflers going to the tips are smaller diameter than the Zl1s.. The Borla tech says that the zl1 needs the larger diameter which personally I do not think it matters.

If your blowing the warranty with a pulley swap you need to go long tubes no cats unless you have to do a visual state inspection.. why not make the most power doing this later if changing your mind will cost more for a retune ect..
Yes he said it's risky with the stock cats. Wasn't planning on doing longtubes just 2.30 upper pulley with cai and tune.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
I have Kooks long tube header with no cats and the Borla S-Type exhaust and it sounds amazing!
Old 09-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
Yes he said it's risky with the stock cats. Wasn't planning on doing longtubes just 2.30 upper pulley with cai and tune.
I'd like to see the horsepower difference compared to people that run no cats and headers for sure.. make for a cool topic, people are making right a 100 to the wheels.. w/o headers maybe a 20 or 30 hp difference? I think a shop told me the highflow cats are about 5 to 7 hp less than no cats.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Bryanh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
I have Kooks long tube header with no cats and the Borla S-Type exhaust and it sounds amazing!
Would you happen to have any vids?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
I did long tubes myself, but that was mainly for the sound and to maximize power on 91 octane (best we have). But I’d recommend checking out the pulley mod guide Weapon-X put out a while back. These are obviously just their opinions/suggestions, but it’s a good reference.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Pulley
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Would you happen to have any vids?

http://youtu.be/W5J7KNrBEoY
Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
Bryanh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
Oh I was the one messaging you in the youtube comments today!
Old 09-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

The S type with non NPP?

Old 09-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
Bryanh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
The S type with non NPP?
With NPP.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #12
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Quote:
If the stock cats are risky with 2 lbs additional boost and 40 whp more. Then what does the ZR1 use for the factory cats. I would suspect that a GM factory cat in boosted applications must be fairly similar in design. I dont think I buy that the stock cat is a restriction with 2 lbs additional boost. I think with 9.17 lower and 4 psi boost increase, then I might see the cats as a problem. The easier route is to just install a 2nd cat eliminator pipe like the Borla 60606.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
Bryanh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
If the stock cats are risky with 2 lbs additional boost and 40 whp more. Then what does the ZR1 use for the factory cats. I would suspect that a GM factory cat in boosted applications must be fairly similar in design. I dont think I buy that the stock cat is a restriction with 2 lbs additional boost. I think with 9.17 lower and 4 psi boost increase, then I might see the cats as a problem. The easier route is to just install a 2nd cat eliminator pipe like the Borla 60606.
My secondary cats are deleted with the catback. I dont buy it either I think the stock cats can handle it. I'm sure shops are just trying to get more money out of us. IMO.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #14
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Quote:
My secondary cats are deleted with the catback. I dont buy it either I think the stock cats can handle it. I'm sure shops are just trying to get more money out of us. IMO.
I dont know if they are trying to get more money out of us. In most cases they would rather over mod to make sure things are safe. The more you over mod the more money they make but there is a benefit to a safety factor. I would rather keep my mods low, and only what is needed to meet my goals. So I choose a more conservative mod path.

I think you are good with the 2nd cat deletes. I like keeping the stock headers as I think they are good pieces, and showed not to be a limiting factor on the SS cars. However,the blower cars need more flow out of the engine, so I believe that there is significant power to be gained with Long tubes.

I myself like the NPP exhaust, with stock headers, and the Borla 60606 mid/x-pipe. I can put it in Touring and its Stock quiet, way to quiet until your romp on the gas. In sport mode, its like track mode was before the 60606. In Track mode now it sounds like it should. To me its a perfect setup.

But I must limit myself to less boost increase with this setup. But you can get ridiculously fast, with this setup, and some CORN.... Might be next on the list.

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote