Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2020, 10:41 PM   #15
Avrotholz

Drives: 2015 camaro SS 1LE
So from what I understand the alignment can be adjusted by loosening the clevis bolts and adjusting by hand can somebody send a picture of the clevis bolts just so I can see exactly what I’m going to show them
Avrotholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:21 PM   #16
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSammy View Post
You remove the bolt once your desired camber is reached and spindle bolts are locked down, so it’s not a missing part, more like GM allowed us to use a simple bolt as a precise alignment tool. IMHO this is one of the better alignment setups for easily achieving a tight spec alignment.
Ahh ok, it doesn't stay in there - just for adjustments.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #17
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrotholz View Post
So from what I understand the alignment can be adjusted by loosening the clevis bolts and adjusting by hand can somebody send a picture of the clevis bolts just so I can see exactly what I’m going to show them
In post #5 you can see one of the bolts sandwiching the strut to the knuckle just under the tapped adjustment hole. The other bolt is approx 4-5 inches below that one. Hope this helps. If the shop you are going to isn’t familiar with any of this, you may want to consider a shop that is.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #18
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Ahh ok, it doesn't stay in there - just for adjustments.
Correct
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:25 AM   #19
Avrotholz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSammy View Post
In post #5 you can see one of the bolts sandwiching the strut to the knuckle just under the tapped adjustment hole. The other bolt is approx 4-5 inches below that one. Hope this helps. If the shop you are going to isn’t familiar with any of this, you may want to consider a shop that is.
I have the lifetime alignment with firestone so I’m going to try to get it done there I’ll see how it goes
Old 05-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #20
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
If a shop has no idea how to adjust this camber, they're going to be clueless at the rear. Time to find a better shop.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #21
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrotholz View Post
I have the lifetime alignment with firestone so I’m going to try to get it done there I’ll see how it goes
I have a similar one from Goodyear. Mine is 3 years unlimited. They got it exactly with the specs I brought in...well, kind of. The only thing ehy couldn't get spot on was the rear camber.

Because I lowered mine so much I could not get any better than -1.5º camber in the rear. So I have to order camber bolts to get another degree or so of room to get as close to 0º as possible. If you don't bring your own specs they will go by factory specs, but most places will allow you to use your own specs, within reason of course.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Because I lowered mine so much I could not get any better than -1.5º camber in the rear. So I have to order camber bolts to get another degree or so of room to get as close to 0º as possible. If you don't bring your own specs they will go by factory specs, but most places will allow you to use your own specs, within reason of course.
There's at least a chance that when they started to adjust camber that the toe adjuster was set in a location that would not allow as much camber adjustment as was needed/desired. Adjusting toe messes with camber and vice versa, so it is possible for one of those adjustments to be limited by the setting in the other.

This was explained a few years back in one or more posts by JusticePete and I think contained in "the Book". Worth a search.

Norm
Old 05-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #23
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There's at least a chance that when they started to adjust camber that the toe adjuster was set in a location that would not allow as much camber adjustment as was needed/desired. Adjusting toe messes with camber and vice versa, so it is possible for one of those adjustments to be limited by the setting in the other.

This was explained a few years back in one or more posts by JusticePete and I think contained in "the Book". Worth a search.

Norm
Per the shop manual, the front camber adjustment is done before the toe. The manual does not discuss using the threaded hole to adjust camber.

The rear camber is locked in using the eccentric washers on the lower control arm. One of these is under a bolt, the other is under a nut. The nut is single use, with pre-applied "micro encapsulated" thread sealant. So before starting, make sure your shop has these on hand. As with the front, the camber is done before the toe.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #24
cdb95z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Per the shop manual, the front camber adjustment is done before the toe. The manual does not discuss using the threaded hole to adjust camber.

The rear camber is locked in using the eccentric washers on the lower control arm. One of these is under a bolt, the other is under a nut. The nut is single use, with pre-applied "micro encapsulated" thread sealant. So before starting, make sure your shop has these on hand. As with the front, the camber is done before the toe.
It does mention using the threaded hole. I have the 2014 Camaro GM service manual. In the wheel alignment section, Front Camber Adjustment, with a picture,

-"Install the service only camber adjusting bolt (M10x1.5x40) into the threaded hole at the top of the knuckle and gentle (sic) tighten until it is snug against the strut body."

-"Loosen the strut to knuckle bolts"

-"Adjust the front camber to specifications using the camber adjusting bolt..."

-"Tighten the strut to knuckle nuts to 59lb/ft plus 180*"

-"Remove the service only camber adjusting bolt"

As mentioned, at the front, the toe is always adjusted after the camber. Any movement of front camber will change the toe. But not the other way around. You can move your toe and it won't change the camber.

BUT, at the rear, any movement of camber will move the toe and any movement of the toe will move the camber. To get the rear where you want is a delicate dance, but it can be made perfect. It takes patience and a gentle hand.

Last edited by cdb95z28; 05-12-2020 at 09:20 PM.
cdb95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:13 AM   #25
Avrotholz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
It does mention using the threaded hole. I have the 2014 Camaro GM service manual. In the wheel alignment section, Front Camber Adjustment, with a picture,

-"Install the service only camber adjusting bolt (M10x1.5x40) into the threaded hole at the top of the knuckle and gentle (sic) tighten until it is snug against the strut body."

-"Loosen the strut to knuckle bolts"

-"Adjust the front camber to specifications using the camber adjusting bolt..."

-"Tighten the strut to knuckle nuts to 59lb/ft plus 180*"

-"Remove the service only camber adjusting bolt"

As mentioned, at the front, the toe is always adjusted after the camber. Any movement of front camber will change the toe. But not the other way around. You can move your toe and it won't change the camber.

BUT, at the rear, any movement of camber will move the toe and any movement of the toe will move the camber. To get the rear where you want is a delicate dance, but it can be made perfect. It takes patience and a gentle hand.
After you install the camber bolt and loosen the strut knuckle bolts, do adjust the camber by tightening/loosening the bolt? Or do you adjust it by moving everything by hand?
Old 05-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #26
cdb95z28

The natural tendency of the knuckle, when the two strut bolts are loose, is to move in toward the strut. And this is with the tire loaded, on the ground. There is a chance the knuckle will need some persuasion to move but I haven’t had an issue.

The best bet is to remove the wheel, install the adjuster bolt, but do not tighten too much when it contacts the strut, just snug. Loosen the two strut bolts. Then reinstall the wheel, leave car off jack. You want the car to sit at ride height to get to your camber numbers.

If the car is on the alignment rack, a good tech can loosen the strut bolts while the car is at ride height with the wheels still on.

Once at ride height and the alignment machine is setup on the car all you do is loosen the adjuster (to add negative camber) or tighten to (remove negative camber). As long as the bottom of the adjuster bolt is in contact with the strut at all times there is no need to move anything by hand. The weight of the car keeps the adjuster bolt preloaded against the strut.

Once you have achieved your desired camber, tighten the two strut bolts. Again, a good tech can at the very least get a tight snug on them without having to Jack the car up (which loses the weight on the adjuster bolt). If he gets a very tight snug on it, he can be confident that the camber will stay were it should when he jacks the car up and removes the wheel to torque the strut bolts. Once torqued he then removes the adjuster bolt.
The strut bolts must be torqued !

There is enough room if working underneath the car from an alignment rack to loosen and tighten the strut bolts. I used a powerful 1/2” drive air impact with a swivel to loosen And tighten mine.

Also, each rotation of the adjuster bolt equals approximately .4 degree of Camber movement .
Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 AM   #27
cdb95z28

A good tech will always confirm the results of his work.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #28
Avrotholz

Thanks for all that info that’s exactly what I needed