Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
water cooled IC

Any one anywhere have any experiences with air to water type intercooler?

As a for instance 77 degree day, 95 degree measured ambient, 140 degree IAT, with standing heat soak, and still 105 degree IAT at 60 mph.

Does anyone else think that a IC behind the radiator is just plain wrong?
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
geoffchad

Drives: 2013 ATS M6, 95 Z28 Conv M6 turbo
I had an Air/Water on my 95 Camaro Z28.

Air/water IC cores are vastly more effective from a heat-transfer perspective, but they also have a lot of thermal inertia (for better or worse).

I removed mine and went air/air because it was fussy, had leaks (non-OEM hardware) and ultimately was just more annoying to deal with as I stopped drag racing. If I'd been drag racing it was amazing because it had a giant tank in the trunk to fill with ice.

In regards to the alpha cars and the OEM cooling module, it's behind the condenser, not the radiator - GM has automatic software to cut the A/C based on throttle and RPM and if you want max power you shouldn't be using your A/C anyway - so from a reliability and assembly standpoint I have no issue with an OEM doing it this way.

Slapping a huge FMIC on seems like a great idea, but unless you have done a solid amount of design for airflow and done your engineering homework - then built prototypes and tested flow around and through the core with a thermal camera during real world testing, you may actually not see any benefit by moving it out front (ZZP vs Mishimoto).

And that doesn't even get into the fin density, tube/fin vs bar/plate, end tank design etc.
geoffchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
wookwook

i appreciate that! many better mouse traps attempted and reverted. Its not for a lack of trying! lol. All you said is agreed. Did some work in the AC industry a while back, and yes I havent looked even that closely under there to even see whats up. Havent had to yet cause I do know that the radiator and condensing unit are shedding heat and affecting the air to air heat transfer as things are. thats a 50 degree hike in standing IAT, vs under hood ambient and in my graph, no meaningfull reduction until the end of the 1/4 run. I have yet to figure up the cfm and heat content of the air mass, but I would love to get a figure on what an ammonia system could do. afaik - the theroy behind it is as in the RV world, it works using a heat source as the catalyst for the shedding of latent heat, as in you can cool a dorm sized fridge using the rv's propane (heating an element not as a refigerent!) so there is a heat source. The action of separating the methanol from the ammonia is the transfer of latent heat energy? i think. anyways it a passive system with no pumps just chemistry that creates it own cycle. OK thats pretty out there. yup and its toxic too.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
Thandel
ATS 2.0T

Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS
I’m not entirely sure on this and knowing design and engineering went into the design of the mishi one.. but being it is sandwiched between the condenser and radiator it certainly is going to pick up heat there. FMIC is the way to go in my opinion. I did my own front mount and temps dropped a lot.
I also had a dual core full aluminum rad made which was thicker than factory. The mishi is thicker and than factory and with my catch can setup I have no room to spare between the fan and my vans as it is.
Zzp is pricey so I just got the same size front mount and did the piping myself
Thandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #5
wookwook

just curoius does anyone know the high side pid for IAT coming right off the turbo? It almost seems like bypassing the IC is worth a try, just for shoots and goggles. ? bad idea?