Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
Can't make up my mind about headers and Tune

I posted this in the general discussion but thought I would get more specifics from the regional group.
looking for folks from MD to chime in about passing emissions with LT and high flow cats or green cats.
I would like to get LT headers and a tune but I have a few concerns.
1) with less than 12,000 miles I am worried about voiding my warranty.
2) worried about passing Maryland emissions testing.
3) worried that it may be too loud as mine is my Daily Driver and I am on the phone (blue tooth) a lot.

I want the Performance gains of LT and Tune,
What are your thoughts for those that DD and need to be on the phone a lot ?

Anyone regret due to warranty or noise issues?

I already have CAI and ported TB.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
ok, some valid concerns.

1st, you will only void your exhaust warranty by putting on long tubes. You won't void the rest of the warranty until you tune it...

If you want to play, you will need to consider...You will pay if something requiring a upload of your tune is malfunctioning. Powertrain such as engine, transmission. Most bolt ons will still be covered under warranty. Find a mod friendly dealer.

2nd, Long tubes with an exhaust are very reasonable when considering sound. You do not have to cut the mufflers off like some do. Do not worry there.

Third, MD peeps, correct me if I am wrong...Emissions can be passed with long tubes as long as you are running cats. Correct?

So, what do you think? Getting LTs and a tune?
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Give us a call. We can get you taken care of. Everything will still pass and you wont have a problem.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
bhillakaiceberg

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 2017 1SS
Emissions in MD is no problem. As long as you don't have a CEL, you are fine. However, with that being said, if you want to go LT Headers, you will have to have it tuned (Warranty voided), therefore you wont have a CEL.

I have LT Headers, no cats, and a straight pipes and had no issue passing MD emissions. Mine car is a DD pretty much as well.

You have an L99 or M6??

2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Auto
9.29 @144.57mph ALL MOTOR SBE

#TEAMGPI Gwatney Performance Innovation

bhillakaiceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Joe Trib

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I have LT no cats and run borla atak, you wont have any problems as long as the car is tuned properly. as far as warranty yea who needs it.
Joe Trib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Long tubes and a tune here (from MD). Passed emissions no problem but I still have cats. I got the plug to verify no check engine light and a mirror under the car. No questions asked.

If you're going to go long tubes, you'll need a tune which means good bye warranty. If you are financially able to repair the car if something happens, then go for it. If not, I'd stick it out a bit.

I added a cam too when I voided mine. Figured might as well make it worth it.