Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Cobra Miracle MF towels are the best! Yes they're made in Korea.

Here's the link:
http://autogeek.net/miracletowel.html

I bought them when they were having a buy-one-get-one free special. I have 6 in my surplus.
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
well blow drying the car is great....BUT you still need high quality MF towels when you polish, and wax your car to buff it out and the ones mentioned already are great. I even have some of the lower quailty MF towels just for my wheels.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 05-10-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
OrangeFury
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT, 1974 Corvette
Was just out looking today locally and it's impossible to find Korean towels (and these were chain stores not mom-and-pop local stores). Thanks for the links, now I know where to order. I did try the leaf blower method today (my new Camaro got her first wash) but it seemed to take longer than I thought.
OrangeFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I tried out the leaf blower yesterday and it ended up looking like hell - streaks and spots all over. I guess it doesn't work that well for a black car - I rewashed it and dried with my Adam's microfiber drying towel and it looked great.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
leaf blower works awesome on mine
Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 AM   #20
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I tried out the leaf blower yesterday and it ended up looking like hell - streaks and spots all over. I guess it doesn't work that well for a black car - I rewashed it and dried with my Adam's microfiber drying towel and it looked great.
I highly recommend not using a leaf blower to dry your car. two reasons:

1. You're disturbing all that dust and debris on your driveway and surrounding areas which is gonna settle right back on the finish of your freshly washed vehicle . (believe me....your casa isn't as clean and dust-free as you may think)

2. If a piece of debris gets sucked into the intake of the leaf blower it's gonna shoot out of there like a canon, aiming right for your finish.
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
^ you just washed your car, the area around it will be wet...no blowing dust, dirt etc...just use the blower on the top half to remove bulk of water and then towel dry little water left...nothing to get sucked in...living on the edge!

I use this at the pay and spray as no plug in etc..

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BUB182Z.../dp/B001UQ6WKU
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #22
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post

1. You're disturbing all that dust and debris on your driveway and surrounding areas which is gonna settle right back on the finish of your freshly washed vehicle . (believe me....your casa isn't as clean and dust-free as you may think)

2. If a piece of debris gets sucked into the intake of the leaf blower it's gonna shoot out of there like a canon, aiming right for your finish.
Thats why I put a filter and a bag on mine to prevent sucking up debris.

Second you have to use some smarts when using a blower you are not going to dry the entire car with the blower or you will have water streaks. Next I don't blow anything that is lower than 12 inches above ground, and I keep the blower perpendicular to my body. You don't want to be blowing down onto the ground as yes it will kick up dust and debris.

Lastly as stated don't do your entire car only do the body lines and areas that a MF will not reach. Especially around the trunk and tail lights.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #23
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
I purchased, sight unseen (you know how us Camaro owners are - only the best for our babies) via a previous thread a couple months ago and actually found a great drying towl.

Email Abe below. Scroll down to the "Huge White Waffle Drying Towel", they are currently 50% off per towel. They are huge (20x40) and are great dryers. You will want to wash them (cold water, liquid detergent - no softeners) first otherwise, you'll get "fuzzies" but they easily blow away.

Trust me you will love these for drying. I "polish" using Zaino blonde towels.

http://www.socalshopguy.com/microfibers/

Have a great Monday everyone. Lori
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #24
Tecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
I purchased, sight unseen (you know how us Camaro owners are - only the best for our babies) via a previous thread a couple months ago and actually found a great drying towl.

Email Abe below. Scroll down to the "Huge White Waffle Drying Towel", they are currently 50% off per towel. They are huge (20x40) and are great dryers. You will want to wash them (cold water, liquid detergent - no softeners) first otherwise, you'll get "fuzzies" but they easily blow away.

Trust me you will love these for drying. I "polish" using Zaino blonde towels.

http://www.socalshopguy.com/microfibers/

Have a great Monday everyone. Lori
What I use and great CS as well
Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 AM   #25
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Looking at a towel and actually feeling one is two, totally different things. The pictures at those links do absolutely nothing to tell you how good the towels are. That's why instead of taking anyone's word for how good a towel is, I buy them and compare them first hand. I have the Autogeek towels, the Adam's Super Plush Blue and new white towels, the Zaino white and blond towels and the large drying towel that was talked about in this thread.

Since you cannot touch the towels that I have to see for yourself, I decided to take some pictures of the towels that tell more about them than the lousy ad pictures show. Let's have a look!

The Zaino Blond Border-Free Towel

My over all opinion? The best towel that Zaino has ever offered, although I can no longer find it on their website. I ranked it tied for first. The reason it tied is because some folks like a thick or plush towel and this one is thin. I love a thin towel when I am removing swirl removing compounds like SHR, M105 or ZPC or polishes like FMP and Zaino's polishes. These towels allow me to feel if there is any polish or compounds remaining on the finish. They are like a extension of my hand. If you Zaino guys did not get any of these and Sal is no longer carrying them, you have sadly missed out. This towel is outstanding and to top it off, it is edgeless. A major plus.

Here are some picks:

Packaging (just in case someone thinks that I would lie about buying all this stuff...)

Thickness: not very, but that's okay when used as I described above. It appears thicker than it is in this picture.

Edge: Perfect. It's edgeless.

Nap: Low plush. Again, perfect for removing product when you need to make sure all the product is off the car.

The Adam's Super-Plush White Towel

Now if you want plush, this is the towel that out-plushed them all. This towel tied for first with me also because this is what I like to use to remove wax residue. The plushness of the towel keeps me from micro-marring the last step that I do which is removing wax residue. I have found that the thicker the towel, the better they are at that purpose. I do not use this towel for anything else, just removing wax. I have thin towels similar to the Zaino towel above for removing polishes and compounds.

Here are some pics.

Thickness: It is the mack daddy! That puppy has depth!

Edge: It somewhat has an edge, but I can't figure out how it is created because I didn't see any thread. It could be that I can't see for crap or that there isn't one to see. (by edge, I mean something with stitching). By have a thicker center around the edge, it actually keeps the edge from coming in contact with the paint which is kinda ingenious!

Nap: Super soft and very plush. This explains the cost. I don't scour the web looking for the cheapest thing I can find, I simply buy what has been proven to be the best product offered. Nothing is too good for my pride and joy.

The Cobra Indigo Polishing Cloth

This is AutoGeek's best and softest towel. Compared to the Adam's and Zaino towels, it is nowhere near as soft, however, it doesn't pick up everything on the ground if dropped. This is a thin towel that I would use to remove polish and compounds but I seldom use them anymore. I put these in third place.

Here are some pics.

Thickness: Not thick at all but as I said before, that has its advantages with me.

Edge: Outstanding edge as it doesn't unravel or have any stitching.

Nap: Very low nap. Not a towel I would use for removing wax residue.

Now Adam's was trying out a towel that I loved. It was similar to the Zaino blond towel in that it was edgeless and very soft. It landed in second place but I don't think Adam's will be carrying it. I use these to remove compounds and polishes. I was lucky in that I got a stack of them before they ran out.

Thickness: Not thick at all but very soft (made in Korea).

Edge: Totally edgeless!

Nap: Plush, but not too deep.

Adam's Old Plush Blue Towels

These have been replaced but I will include pics so you can compare them with the new white ones. You can also compare them to what is being offered at other sites that were posted in this thread.

The last towel that I have is the Zaino white towel. It didn't come with a label and like I said before, I can no longer find it on Zaino's site. I didn't care for it because it would grab everything off the ground if dropped (just like those crappy Costco, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's and Auto Zone microfiber towels do). Adam's had one last year but discontinued it, thank goodness. Neither the Adam's nor the Zaino towels were as bad as the made in China towels but I still didn't like that flaw. If you dropped that thing, you may as well get rid of it. That is DEFINITELY true with those auto store towel. They are truly garbage.

As you can see, I'm a towel whore. You can never have too many.

So there you go. You now have enough information to make up your own mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer78 View Post

I have never seen and electric leaf blower powerful enough to suck anything up off the floor! That is definitely not a concern of mine. Also (as someone else said), the ground will be wet around you car so dust won't be an issue. The ground stays wet around my car for hours but then, I'm in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teccboxx View Post
Thats why I put a filter and a bag on mine to prevent sucking up debris.

Second you have to use some smarts when using a blower you are not going to dry the entire car with the blower or you will have water streaks. Next I don't blow anything that is lower than 12 inches above ground, and I keep the blower perpendicular to my body. You don't want to be blowing down onto the ground as yes it will kick up dust and debris.

Lastly as stated don't do your entire car only do the body lines and areas that a MF will not reach. Especially around the trunk and tail lights.
I use the flooding method as some of you have seen in my videos. That eliminate most of the water. Couple that with washing in my garage and water spots and streaks are of no concern whatsoever.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #26
Tecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Looking at a towel and actually feeling one is two, totally different things. The pictures at those links do absolutely nothing to tell you how good the towels are. That's why instead of taking anyone's word for how good a towel is, I buy them and compare them first hand. I have the Autogeek towels, the Adam's Super Plush Blue and new white towels, the Zaino white and blond towels and the large drying towel that was talked about in this thread.
If you are going to attack those towels you should at least compare them and not other brands not mentioned. I work more than I eat, drink, and crap so I cannot post pictures of these two currently but will as soon as I can.

If you want plush the re-thickulous towel is way thicker and softer than the Adams white and at half the price. As is the grean monster aka the Uber Monster from pak shak which is as thick if not a tad thicker as the AW. The two best towels on the market made in korea, thick, soft, lasts and again half the cost of Adams. Plus the service is as good as Adams, Greg at Detailedimage is excellent as is Renney from PakShak.

Not that the Adams white isn't a great towel as it definatly is, just way overpriced, I don't skimp on my products especially if they touch my paint. If it was the same cost as the old blue then that would be a different story.

Ahh there that garage thing again, I need to try one of those things out one of these days
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #27
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
When you buy those puppies, post them up! I never said anything bad about those towels, I just offered towels from manufacturers who are well known on this forum. Between the three, you can't go wrong.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #28
Tecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
When you buy those puppies, post them up! I never said anything bad about those towels, I just offered towels from manufacturers who are well known on this forum. Between the three, you can't go wrong.
I will definatly post some pictures when/if I get home tonight or as soon as I can.