Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 12-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
Actually, it is in fact, built on the Y platform. It's improved, an evolution of the platform with a rear transaxle, but a Y platform nonetheless, which is my point. Not going to waste time buying books on outdated cars I don't plan to own smh.
The point is that "Y body" designation is so high level -design wise - it means nothing in this context. Note how many various cars carried this designation. Yet they shared nothing with Corvette except for engine and (original) driveline orientation. Apples and bananas.
That's like saying that Pontiac Fiero and C8 share the same platform
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Actually, it is in fact, built on the Y platform. It's improved, an evolution of the platform with a rear transaxle, but a Y platform nonetheless, which is my point. Not going to waste time buying books on outdated cars I don't plan to own smh.
And that's why you continue to be wrong. It's not an evolution of a platform, it was a totally new platform. sMh.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #17
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS View Post
And that's why you continue to be wrong. It's not an evolution of a platform, it was a totally new platform. sMh.
Do you understand what evolution even means? A human is a totally new creature relative to an ape, we are still considered an evolution. There's a whole lot more in common between two perimeter frames for front engine, V8, rwd cars with transverse leaf rear suspensions than there is between a chimp up a tree and the creature that created said Corvettes and can argue semantics on the internet...
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #18
TrackClub

You guys are stuck on a word "platform"?
A Caddy XLR rode on a Y body in early 2000s and it had as much in common with any Corvette as apples have with bananas Y body pretty much means V8 motor with RWD driveline, with NOT body on frame architecture. That's about it. Not much more to it.
The important thing is that C5 was a clean sheet design from the ground up. The fact both cars followed a Y body design architecture is a complete misnomer here: of course they did as both were V8 RWD not body on frame designs. The next clean sheet, from a ground up Vette design is a C8. And obviously it does not follow a Y body architecture as it is mid engined.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #19
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
You guys are stuck on a word "platform"?
A Caddy XLR rode on a Y body in early 2000s and it had as much in common with any Corvette as apples have with bananas Y body pretty much means V8 motor with RWD driveline, with NOT body on frame architecture. That's about it. Not much more to it.
The important thing is that C5 was a clean sheet design from the ground up. The fact both cars followed a Y body design architecture is a complete misnomer here: of course they did as both were V8 RWD not body on frame designs. The next clean sheet, from a ground up Vette design is a C8. And obviously it does not follow a Y body architecture as it is mid engined.
I'm mostly just messing with the guy. It's the company holiday party tonight and work is currently a ghost town, needed some entertainment
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
TrackClub

Well, it is the season...
All the best you guys!
Old 12-16-2019, 05:07 AM   #21
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Quote:
Do you understand what evolution even means? A human is a totally new creature relative to an ape, we are still considered an evolution. There's a whole lot more in common between two perimeter frames for front engine, V8, rwd cars with transverse leaf rear suspensions than there is between a chimp up a tree and the creature that created said Corvettes and can argue semantics on the internet...
I'm not arguing. I'm just telling you that the C4 and C5 Corvette are two different animals. That's not a guess.

Last edited by Baldilocks01SS; 12-16-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
OP I think it all comes to realistic goals and ability. Sure you can go out and buy a ZL1 1LE but where does your ability as a driver put you at? I personally own a SS 1LE and I'm no where near good enough to push that so far to the limit I'd need more. I'd get what gives you the lightest weight and most linear power band. But if you're at the driver level of a ZL1 1LE to take advantage of the Aero and extra power go for that.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #23
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Why is it exactly that you want to take it up a tier? This is the most important question to answer honestly.

The GS is what? A half a second faster than the SS1LE with a professional driver? So the reasons here are the cool factory and the status factor, but this comes with a lot of added costs when you go this route.

The ZLE is wayyyyy faster, and with way faster comes exponentially higher consumable costs. So if your goal to just to have a faster car? It doesnt quite have the status that a GS does and to people who dont track can even look a bit absurd. Did i mention the increase in consumable costs for a car this much faster?

So answer the questions of what you what. Status symbol, cool car, better track car, more track time.

If it were me i would be looking at paying the SS1LE off or increasing my track budget so I can hit more events, but my goals are to be a better driver and hit more events. I have only been hitting the track for 3 years and I know I have a long ways to go with my personal driving improvement and seat time before I could take full of advantage of car like the ZLE. There is the I want it because I can, and in my big power street cars days i would have gone for that but it just isnt me now.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
Why is it exactly that you want to take it up a tier? This is the most important question to answer honestly.

The GS is what? A half a second faster than the SS1LE with a professional driver? So the reasons here are the cool factory and the status factor, but this comes with a lot of added costs when you go this route.

The ZLE is wayyyyy faster, and with way faster comes exponentially higher consumable costs. So if your goal to just to have a faster car? It doesnt quite have the status that a GS does and to people who dont track can even look a bit absurd. Did i mention the increase in consumable costs for a car this much faster?

So answer the questions of what you what. Status symbol, cool car, better track car, more track time.

If it were me i would be looking at paying the SS1LE off or increasing my track budget so I can hit more events, but my goals are to be a better driver and hit more events. I have only been hitting the track for 3 years and I know I have a long ways to go with my personal driving improvement and seat time before I could take full of advantage of car like the ZLE. There is the I want it because I can, and in my big power street cars days i would have gone for that but it just isnt me now.
^^^ best post in this thread (imo).
Old 12-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #25
irmb

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEASYE View Post
I am possibly looking to step up to a ZL1/1LE M6 but with all these discount C7s I am also looking at a Grand Sport M7 (w/o the Z07 package and with a PDR).

I'm only looking to do about 4-6 track days/weekends a year right now and this car will also be a semi daily driver (3-5 days a week depending on weather conditions). I have read where the ride is harsh on the ZL1/1LEs but I am used to riding in big rigs/ construction vehicles etc. so that wouldn't bother me, the only hang up I would have about the ZL1/1LE vs. the Grand Sport is the weight difference in terms of handling and speed on the track.

The biggest hangups I have about the Grand Sport is still coming across so many people with Grand Sports or ZO6's and getting their wheels bent constantly and I have run across a few reports of people with Grand Sports overheating their stock engines on track days although I find this hard to believe since it's the same LT1 in our SS 1LE's and I assume the Grand Sport's cooling is very close to the SS 1LE.

For those that have or had both vehicles, what's your long term view point on owning, driving and tracking a C7 Grand Sport M7 vs. the ZL1/1LE M6
I've owned and tracked both 1le and grand sport quite extensively.

grand sports do no over heat. I've run them in triple digit heats - double sessions on track - so 40 minutes at a time. The brakes were smoking coming off track - but the engine temps stayed steady and never rose.

Grand sport is about 250 pounds lighter than the 1le and the weight balance is just slightly better.

both cars are great on track.

For me it comes down to cost, comfort, safety and usability.

Camaro wins in all those departments.
irmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #26
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEASYE View Post
I am possibly looking to step up to a ZL1/1LE M6 but with all these discount C7s I am also looking at a Grand Sport M7 (w/o the Z07 package and with a PDR).

I'm only looking to do about 4-6 track days/weekends a year right now and this car will also be a semi daily driver (3-5 days a week depending on weather conditions). I have read where the ride is harsh on the ZL1/1LEs but I am used to riding in big rigs/ construction vehicles etc. so that wouldn't bother me, the only hang up I would have about the ZL1/1LE vs. the Grand Sport is the weight difference in terms of handling and speed on the track.

The biggest hangups I have about the Grand Sport is still coming across so many people with Grand Sports or ZO6's and getting their wheels bent constantly and I have run across a few reports of people with Grand Sports overheating their stock engines on track days although I find this hard to believe since it's the same LT1 in our SS 1LE's and I assume the Grand Sport's cooling is very close to the SS 1LE.

For those that have or had both vehicles, what's your long term view point on owning, driving and tracking a C7 Grand Sport M7 vs. the ZL1/1LE M6
I tracked my '14 Stingray Z51, it didn't overheated the N.A. engine (same engine on the GS), the only thing that overheated was the dam automatic transmission. Get a manual transmission. Problem solved.
The one that overheated was the SC engine on the Z06.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #27
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
I would go for, in this order:

1.Camaro ZL1 ( I would skip the ZL1 1LE version, to harsh for DD)

2. Corvette Grand sport

3. Shelby GT350R

4. Camaro SS1LE

5. Camaro SS

All of them on manual transmission only. Just the automatic transmission on the ZL1 is worth it, but I prefer to shift my own.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #28
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
ZL1 1LE is faster out of the box, the Grand Sport has more potential. It is lighter, lower, and stiffer.

I'm personally a Camaro guy first, so i'd go with the ZL1 1LE. If you want more speed and plan on modifying the car, the Corvette is the way to go. We have a C7 Grand Sport running around with our LT 427, it is a monster on the track.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote