Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #15
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Just e85 alone should have been more than that, and I went full bolt on. Only thing I can think of, is maybe they used a correction factor on the first dyno but not the second, maybe.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #16
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Yes I put up my baseline dyno and after everything dyno. According to their dyno I only gained 18hp, that's why I'm so confused. Same dyno, same guy, temperature was actually about 20 degrees cooler on the last dyno run as well. Also, I'm a manual, so I should've been higher that most autos, but I'm lower. The car feels super fast, I feel that I just threw $200 down the toilet though as I wanted to see the before and after, which wasnt what I thought it was going to be.
my bad... I guess I kind of just skipped through half the post.

But you are correct..... just the E should of reflected that gain... let alone everything else. and if anything, their dyno reads high, going off the baseline.

Did you datalog the car while it was on the dyno, or have the ability to do it now? Something has to be off.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #17
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I think you are getting too caught up in reading what other people are saying their car dynoed with similar mods, who knows how their dyno was set up or what factors were used. Use a dyno as a tool to tune and a track to measure the cars performance, I'd bet your car is fine, mine dynoed similar numbers with similar mods.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #18
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
I think you are getting too caught up in reading what other people are saying their car dynoed with similar mods, who knows how their dyno was set up or what factors were used. Use a dyno as a tool to tune and a track to measure the cars performance, I'd bet your car is fine, mine dynoed similar numbers with similar mods.

Stock Longblock

Old 12-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #19
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
The guy is telling you his dyno is off so the readings aren't worth a $hit. Take it to another dyno if it calms your nerves...

You say the car feels great.... thats what you want....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
Just trying to placate him a tad, I don't get caught up in my car dynoed this vs that but our cars did dyno similarly.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #21
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Just trying to placate him a tad, I don't get caught up in my car dynoed this vs that but our cars did dyno similarly.
it doesn't change the fact that he only picked up 17 rwhp from adding a ported throttle body, ported intake, 1 7/8 headers, and e85. similar numbers don't mean squat, even if his numbers are the same as yours. What matters are GAINS, which is why you get a baseline (this falls back to why dyno's are a tool... to measure gains). gaining 17 rwhp from those mods, there is something that isn't up to snuff, even if his numbers are the same as yours. to think otherwise is kind of silly.

Stock Longblock

Old 12-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #22
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
unless it’s really messed up, the car all but has no choice except to pick up - a lot. it looks like the scaling is different between the dynos, who knows what else is, too. find a close race you had before modding and try it again. that’s what we did back in the day when $125 dynos were expensive and foreign.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
Umbriel

Quote:
it doesn't change the fact that he only picked up 17 rwhp from adding a ported throttle body, ported intake, 1 7/8 headers, and e85. similar numbers don't mean squat, even if his numbers are the same as yours. What matters are GAINS, which is why you get a baseline (this falls back to why dyno's are a tool... to measure gains). gaining 17 rwhp from those mods, there is something that isn't up to snuff, even if his numbers are the same as yours. to think otherwise is kind of silly.
I was just saying mine dynoed similarly because he was thinking it sounded low. He also said he dynoed a year apart from each other, that is way too far apart to compare who knows what happened between dynos. He also states it read really high the first time and he is right, 430 rwhp on a stock Camaro? Looks to me like the first dyno was off in a big way the wrong direction and now it is reading correctly. Take it to a track and find out what it's MPH is and then complain it isn't right.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #24
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
I was just saying mine dynoed similarly because he was thinking it sounded low. He also said he dynoed a year apart from each other, that is way too far apart to compare who knows what happened between dynos. He also states it read really high the first time and he is right, 430 rwhp on a stock Camaro? Looks to me like the first dyno was off in a big way the wrong direction and now it is reading correctly. Take it to a track and find out what it's MPH is and then complain it isn't right.
Lol too much time between dyno runs? Do you even know how a dyno works? The amount of time between runs is irrelevant.... that's why we have correction factors.

It's pretty simple. Go in logs and check timing, AFR, and make sure all cylinders are firing. Those are pretty simple to check and would rule out a lot of possible problems

Stock Longblock

Old 12-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #25
Umbriel

Quote:
Lol too much time between dyno runs? Do you even know how a dyno works? The amount of time between runs is irrelevant.... that's why we have correction factors.

It's pretty simple. Go in logs and check timing, AFR, and make sure all cylinders are firing. Those are pretty simple to check and would rule out a lot of possible problems
Yeah I know how a ****ing dyno works, anything could have happened to the car, the Dyno etc in a year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #26
Booher

The little difference between the two, is, at least what I think is, he used a correction factor with the stock dyno,(which made it higher)and didnt with the new numbers (which caused them to be low) . I read up a bit on the dyno dynamics unit, and it's common for people to do 1.1 as the multiplier. There is a shop in cali that does 1.3, their argument is so its close to the dynojets surrounding them. If I were do use 1.1 it changes the hp to 485, which is about where it should be I think. Does this sound plausible? You are right though, I really shouldnt worry about numbers, but, it's hard to tell someone I'm nearly all full bolt ons with this number, the people I have told think I'm lying about what parts I put onto the car. I guess, now is a good time to challenge them to a race eh? Lol, I had ted from janetty racing tune it, so I'm sure it was done right, but it never hurts to check. Can hp tuners show a misfiring cylinder? My wideband showes high 13's to low 14's. I had a spark plug wire fall off once while getting a data log and the car had a different idle. It was the rear passenger boot, fixed it and it hasnt ran like that again, doesnt hurt to double check em all again though. Some good ideas, thanks guys
Old 12-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #27
Booher

If I divide 423 by 1.1 I get 384, which is a little low for a manual I think, but within the realm of possibilities. Haha, right heater! Installs oil catch can and gains tons of hp rofl
Old 12-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #28
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
it is my belief that anyone in the performance game measures by mph. dynos are good for tuning and putting a power number on a gain. but we don’t race dynos, so...grab a lane.