Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 12-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #15
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMuscle View Post
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm leaning towards the 1LE at this point and putting the $12k towards some mods. I loved my 2016 SS, so I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it. Also like the interior of the Camaros better. Exterior I think the Corvette has the better back but the 1LE wins the front for me.

I'm "only" 26 and want to get into tracking cars and I honestly probably won't even know/feel a difference between a 1LE and GS for a veeeeery long time, would you guys agree?
As pointed out, if you are serious about getting into track driving - 110% SS 1LE. It is a friendly car to learn and screw up in and still gives you quite a large performance ceiling to grow in, even 99% stock*. Get a car with PDR, as that will help you a lot in learning.

*You will want to eventually upgrade pads, but you don't need to right away. You just need to swap to good DOT 4 racing fluid.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Back seat was the decision maker for me. Also have you seen the video below?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWYd3Jw2zn0
This.
These guys feature this 1LE in a few videos.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #17
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Here's the thing about Vettes (which I've never owned one) they always get ridiculed for some odd or unsettling behavior. Even the C8 is being criticized for too much understeer when off the throttle which is the opposite of how the older chassis apparently behaved. Pretty much noone ridicules anything about how an Alpha behaves. It has been lauder with tons of praise since it was introduced.

Sure Vettes are extremely capable machines, but they seem to require a very skilled driver to make them really shine. I would love of C6Z, but have no real desire for any other Vette. I will say that I looked at a new GS when I bought my 1LE and it was a very cool car.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #18
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I'd echo all the above responses and add:

1) Camaro 6 speed is much better than Vette 7 speed (better gearing and easier to shift as at least some folks tend to miss shifts with the 7 gear box)

2) the Camaro Alpha platform is one of the best handling suspensions in the world, very fast, incredibly well balanced and easy to push at the limit (subject to skill of course).
At the same time even some pros find the Vette a bit nervous at the limit.

3) Camaro OEM tires are very fast (more track vs street tire) yet inexpensive vs Cup2s (which offer virtually the same performance). So you'll be spending less $ on track consumables.

4) spend the money saved on the biggest mod there is: driver education. So, track fees, tires, fuel, fluids and brakes of course. If you're serious this will add up to a fairly big amount per season, so dont waste your money trying to improve this car as it needs absolutely nothing except for some cosmetic add ons to protect paint.

5) regardless of what you get, read the manual regarding break in procedure incl fluid changes. This is important not as much for the engine but electronic diff, which works very hard in these cars.

6) bottom line: SS 1LE is a mirror of GS mechanically (suspension excepted) with a bit more weight but 2 extra seats, for tons less money.

Thanks everyone, greatly appreciated! This finally swung me over to go with the 1LE! Thanks TrackClub. I think I will feel more comfortable with a 1LE being a Track Newbie and like everyone pointed out $12k buys a lot of consumables and education! Now it is on to the color selection. Im thinking black or white
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #19
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Thanks everyone, greatly appreciated! This finally swung me over to go with the 1LE! Thanks TrackClub. I think I will feel more comfortable with a 1LE being a Track Newbie and like everyone pointed out $12k buys a lot of consumables and education! Now it is on to the color selection. Im thinking black or white
Congrats on your decision! You really can't go wrong with a 1le imo.

The only outstanding decision would be trim level: 1SS vs 2SS. The latter are considerably more $ where i live.
Personally i like 1SS with PDR (an absolute must imo) since i dont care about stereo quality, or heated/ventilated seats etc. As a matter if fact i will be getting a new 2020 1SS 1LE either early, or late next year...

White looks nice but is a pain in the ass keeping clean at a track. So i will be going with dark grey or black.
Double Expel in front of rear wheel wells (the nose is a plastic composite anyway) and GM side skirts plus ZL1ADDONS permanent lift pucks (another must) and their mud flaps. That's it! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #20
RynoSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I've owned both and you made the right choice with the 1LE. I had nothing but nightmares with my C7GS. Quality control is not Corvette's strong suit. Electrical, mechanical, transmission, torque-tube replacements, etc. I'll never own another Corvette again.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #21
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoSS View Post
I've owned both and you made the right choice with the 1LE. I had nothing but nightmares with my C7GS. Quality control is not Corvette's strong suit. Electrical, mechanical, transmission, torque-tube replacements, etc. I'll never own another Corvette again.
You speak the truth. I am not sure what it is about Corvette, but quality is constantly an issue.

I have owned 6 of them both C5 and C6's, granted none were the C7's, but out of the 6 I have had, 3 were bought back on the lemon law.

I am actually not a very big fan of GM in general (although you wouldn't know it by how many I have had), and sometimes I have to pinch myself that the SS 1LE was ever made the way it was. The engineers definitely won the battle against the bean counters on the SS 1LE. They actually went P-car philosophy with it and over engineered it and made all the components stout.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #22
RynoSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
You speak the truth. I am not sure what it is about Corvette, but quality is constantly an issue.

I have owned 6 of them both C5 and C6's, granted none were the C7's, but out of the 6 I have had, 3 were bought back on the lemon law.

I am actually not a very big fan of GM in general (although you wouldn't know it by how many I have had), and sometimes I have to pinch myself that the SS 1LE was ever made the way it was. The engineers definitely won the battle against the bean counters on the SS 1LE. They actually went P-car philosophy with it and over engineered it and made all the components stout.
It's funny you mention P-car because I consider myself an unashamed 911 fanboy (especially air-cooled, and especially the 993). I completely agree with you. If you can look past the cheapish interior plastics, the Camaro Team definitely over-engineered the 1LE and I find it a lot more fun than the Grand Sport. It doesn't feel like an American car at all and, in a lot of ways, it's better than anything from Germany.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #23
GermanMuscle

Quote:

The only outstanding decision would be trim level: 1SS vs 2SS. The latter are considerably more $ where i live.
Personally i like 1SS with PDR (an absolute must imo) since i dont care about stereo quality, or heated/ventilated seats etc. As a matter if fact i will be getting a new 2020 1SS 1LE either early, or late next year...

White looks nice but is a pain in the ass keeping clean at a track. So i will be going with dark grey or black.
Double Expel in front of rear wheel wells (the nose is a plastic composite anyway) and GM side skirts plus ZL1ADDONS permanent lift pucks (another must) and their mud flaps. That's it! Cheers!

Thanks! I was thinking 1SS, because I am in the same boat as you as far as not caring about the bells and whistles! Plus i live in Florida so no need for heated seats or steering wheel. I saw some new 2019 1SS 1LE advertised for $37k that sounds like a great deal to me, especially considering I was close to buying a $52k Grand Sport. I saw some pics of a black SS 1LE that thing looked sinister. I think I will be going black.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #24
GermanMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoSS View Post

Yeah the SS that I owned was problem free, so Im hoping the Camaro Gods will be nice to me this time as well I'm so excited for the new car. Yeah and I red C7GS has problems with cracked rims as well.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #25
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks! I was thinking 1SS, because I am in the same boat as you as far as not caring about the bells and whistles! Plus i live in Florida so no need for heated seats or steering wheel. I saw some new 2019 1SS 1LE advertised for $37k that sounds like a great deal to me, especially considering I was close to buying a $52k Grand Sport. I saw some pics of a black SS 1LE that thing looked sinister. I think I will be going black.
Yep they do look sinister in black. The color matches the car's character very well imo. Great time to be bying s car given upcoming Xmas deals. Happy shopping!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #26
TrackClub

Btw i came from a C5Z which i tracked for some 10+ yrs issue free. Only a clutch needed to be replaced, bit that's to be expected. Plus stage2 tranny work on a just in case basis. The car is still being tracked by a new owner and still going strong with original motor, albeit he wrecked it a bit recently...
Old 12-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #27
Nabush

Drives: 2017 C7 GS M7 / 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Hi,

I have both a 17 SS 1LE and a 17 C7 GS

Very similar cars overall.

Obviously the C7 GS with Stage 2 aero looks a lot better/special.

C7 GS is not faster in straight line stock for stock, somewhat the motor is stronger in the Camaro, probably because of the better headers. When you mod C7 starts to get faster

C7 GS brakes are much stronger, despite being the same in front (noticeably bigger in the rear)

C7 GS corners faster/more grip, feels significantly lighter and is significantly faster overall on a lap, but is significantly harder to drive at the limit. Pretty oversteery but manageable. In Autocross the difference is pretty big, Camaro feels pretty big and heavy on tight courses on my local SCCA Club, but it is very easy and still fast. C7 GS feels more at home and posts faster times.

I'm furious about the C7 GS gearing. I have a MGW shifter, shift are very firms but quite fast, but 2nd is a litte too short, too much of gap between 3-4 gears all other gears are way too long. The 6 speed Tremec in the SS 1LE is better and better geared (up to 4th), no shifter mods needed.

Steering feel of the SS 1LE is superb, the C7 is perhaps a little behind in feel but is even more razor sharp and precise. The CUP2 ZP have a terrific feel and sharpness, the Eagle F1 Supercar 3 are really good and have a better lifespan, they are at the level of the PSS ZP which come on the FE6 Grandsport (which are good)

Traction is overall better on the SS 1LE, unless the C7 GS has CUP2 ZP.

Seating position is great in both cases.

Honestly both cars are great. The C7 GS is better track car because of the weight, ultimate grip, braking and overall performance, but the SS 1LE is easier and pretty close. Lot of people say C7 is snappy, it's not true, it requires quick reactions but it is easily manageable and pretty progressive. Alignment is really important on this one, especially rear caster.

Driving feel is very close also.

For 20k of price difference it is not really worth it unless you like the look and the look of the other (way more attention in a Corvette) or you are looking at absolute performance

I'm making my C7GS more and more a track dedicated car, and my SS 1LE is my daily.

I have some ZL1 1LE needs sometimes though...A guy in my local SCCA club has one with a newly installed 850HP package, I need to try that . BTW my C7 GS is faster than the ZL1 1LE in Autocross...
Nabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #28
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

Trackclub, you always provide a lot of insight which I enjoy reading.

I was wondering why you don't have a ZL1 variant of the Camaro. You clearly like tracking and yet your next car will not be a ZL1 trim. It appears prefer the LS1 over the LT4. Do you have a specific reason for this?

Sorry for the hijack, it appears the OP has made his decision.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote