Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #1
1ati2de

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Angry NOT very happy with GM! Dead battery on HWY 400!

Not a great night for me at all but could have been much worse! I have a 2016 Camaro SS and has some form of a charging problem that I now know. To start I had a clear film installed on the car 2 weeks ago and have been pretty busy not to drive the car. Last week (Saturday) went to start it and the battery didn’t have enough power to start it. Click click click.., got my battery pack and started the car and took it for a drive to charge the battery as the volt meter read 4 volts once it started and went to around 14 volts when driving because the car was sitting for a bit. Parked the car and decided to take the car for a drive last night and same issue again that it needed a jump, then the fun began!

Upon the second no start I decided to take it on the 400 to bring the revs up and give the battery a better charge. I went northbound on the 400 from Teston to King road.. or tried to. Upon passing the rest stop on the 400 our local OPP was merging on also and I did not see him. At this point I’m in fourth at about 150+ to get the revs up and unknown to me a Porsche is behind me in the passing lane as I’m in the centre lane. I do not know If he wants to play as I want to simply charge the battery and I did not see him and the traffic was light at this point in the late evening.

So at this point yes I get pulled over on the 400 by the OPP. I just filled my other car with gas and left my wallet in the car and yes I didn’t have any documentation on me at all and It looks like I’m going to have a very long night. The officer comes to the window and states I’m racing with the Porsche and I told him the truth, I’m charging my battery and had no idea a Porsche was behind me and didn’t see him and didn’t care at that point if he was. Very hard sell as I don’t have any information on me as he proceeds back to his car. I turn off my car and wait for the tow truck and comfortable seat in the back of the unmarked cruiser like I’ve experienced in my younger days. The Officer came back after running my plate 2 minutes later and tells me that he can give me 3 tickets right now and I agreed. He said drive safe and have a good night. Really good guy I tell you as I think he noticed my age and driving record that I was not full of $hit.

I was relieved (obviously) and my butt went back to normal as the Officer was really cool about the situation and let me go. He gets back to his car and I go to start my car and guess what… NOTHING! Battery is dead yet again and I have under 1000 kms on the car. I get back out of my car and I get the confused look from the officer as I go to the window and ask him if he can please call a tow for me as yes the phone is in the other car and It won’t start. He gets a little chuckle and calls a tow for me, the tow truck comes and the driver apparently couldn’t jump my car but when we towed the car to my place my pack started the car… shocker! Got hosed for $360 for the tow which GM will reimburse me and have to take the car on Monday to GM.

Not very happy at all as in my 32 years of driving I have never been stranded at the side of the road.. especially with a brand new car. Yes it could have been much, much worse but this should never have happened. I’ll see what the dealer says on Monday and post the findings. Thanks to the OPP officer as he was great in assisting me and staying with me till I was off the highway.
1ati2de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
jaysonstuart

Prob just a defective battery.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yup ...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
scrape

Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a bad battery to me. It is a pain to get at that battery too from what I saw.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Modern cars have a hard time charging a dead battery, if it was a little low they can but they just can't charge one pulled down really low. Put it on a real charger and see if it holds charge. Seeing your car was putting out 14 volts tells me the charging system is working.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Sorry about. Very disheartening when something goes wrong on a new vehicle. Especially one you are passionate about.
It is most likely an easy fix. Make a big stink and maybe you'll get something out of it.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
sstoronto

Drives: 2017 2SS.
Like mentioned above, ^^, hopefully it's just the battery....
Old 07-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Sorry to hear about your issues, hope it's just the battery...quick fix.

Why did you have to put out for the tow fees, what about the GM road side assistance that is part of your 3yr warranty? That's BS, even if you get reimbursed.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Sorry about that...This happened to me on my brand new Dodge last year. You have a defective battery, as you know warranty will cover it.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
1ati2de

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues, hope it's just the battery...quick fix.

Why did you have to put out for the tow fees, what about the GM road side assistance that is part of your 3yr warranty? That's BS, even if you get reimbursed.
Yes I have the roadside and CAA but the Officer was not going to wait as I was stopped close to the bridge. Was not going to press my luck either and the fake boost I got from the tow truck driver was a joke also that pissed me off even more.

Yes it is bad and my thought is the battery but its better to have it checked out to make sure. Don't need the aggravation in the long run.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
1ati2de

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Sorry about. Very disheartening when something goes wrong on a new vehicle. Especially one you are passionate about.
It is most likely an easy fix. Make a big stink and maybe you'll get something out of it.
Ya ill try that and see. GM Canada is basically useless at best but its always worth a try.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #12
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
I have had two new defective batteries in a row and also know of someone else that had that problem, hopefully the third will be good.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #13
1ati2de

Just got the car back and it was a faulty battery. All good with everything considering it could have been a lot worse. Going to the 50th Camaro meet in Michigan next month and all should be good.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
I had a feeling it was
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote