Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
tejesh83

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Does a supercharger help or hurt resale value?

I've never owned a muscle car before my 2SS, but part of the appeal to me was the huge aftermarket of parts available. Just curious, those with experience modding their previous cars, which parts/mods have helped versus hurt resale value the most in the long run? I'm especially interested in hearing from those who've down engine/power mods.

I'm an intermediate DIYer / gear head. Any mod I do, I will likely do myself, which should save the cost of labor. The ProCharger kit caught my eye because it seems to be a bolt on mod and even comes with a tune. Say I slap this on myself and keep it for ~5years. Will I be able to charge a premium when I go to sell the car, and how much do you think I'll get for it?

In my last car, I installed an oem body kit, oem spoiler, aftermarket rims, aftermarket audio, tint, and a short shifter. The OEM stuff held up well, and bumped up my resale value about $500 (~50% what i paid for the parts). For the rest, I probably got a few hundreds bucks out of it, but it felt like I was just giving it away based on what I paid for the parts. In any case, I enjoyed them while I had them =)
Old 02-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
After 5 years i dont think youll get a dime back , and if selling privately many will walk on you as they think the motor has been flogged. There's a good way to tell: go down to your local Chevy dealer and find the used car manager, describe a car that's five years old and ask him what it would be with an SC and without it. I think you'll be surprised.

In general, performance adds don't add to the resale. Sometimes they can detract.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Modded vehicles will add a couple grand over the "blue book" value of a car but not to a dealership, to the right private buyer and depending on what all you have added. Aftermarket wheels, cosmetic stuff usually people don't care. If you tell them the car used to be 455hp but now is 700, that is much much more important that wheels and even then most will walk away hearing that and the word "modded" but if you find THE right buyer... You may just get some money back which is still laughable compared to what you have actually put in. I have sold both my evos (modded as hell) privately over 5k the "kbb" value. Now, I did dump 20-30k into both evos... So in the grand scheme of things, you won't get jack out of modding lol.

Glen's suggestion just might work for you to see it in person but you can always try autotrader or cars dot com. Any used car search engine really, for example: Just search a 2010 corvette supercharged and compare the price of that to a non supercharged one. There will be some difference but 2/10th of the price the guy spent on his vette lol.

Cars are all depreciating assets, you will never ever keep good value let alone make money on it unless... It's a very very special / "collectors" cars. #1 vins, uber old and rare cars etc.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
Usually they actually hurt resale value. Ask me how I know? I pissed 10K away on my last car adding the SC.
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:46 AM   #5
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Given the choice, I would never buy a vehicle that had been modded to those extremes. Especially a FI car that started life as a NA unless that car had a new motor built to handle FI.

Yes, I know that with careful tuning, FI on a high compression non-forged internal engine is "safe." But I have been at this for a long time, and nearly everyone goes fast for a bit and then ends up with a new motor purposely built.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
BSX_Camaro
Unleash the Beast!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Depends on who did the work. Example is if Lingenfelter did the work and its numbered and badged, you will get some added return.

If Joe's Automotive did the work and was tuned by Mac down the street, its a coin flip. All depends on the dealer/buyer.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
tejesh83

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Bummer...

I've worked on my own cars since I was a kid but have never had the opportunity to do any power mods. I won't be able to resist this time, despite the sunk cost =)

I'm leaning towards the Procharger kit, but if those who have done this before have suggestions for a cheap / reliable kit that will add some serious horsepower, let me know.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Dealers do not want your modded car and its hell trying to sell it personally, maybe not on a 5k car but on expensive cars,no one wants your modded car. Never again will i do it.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
Dealers do not want your modded car and its hell trying to sell it personally, maybe not on a 5k car but on expensive cars,no one wants your modded car. Never again will i do it.

Sooo true......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Some buyers don't want them either. They may be harder to sell then stock unless someone is just looking for one. I took a very big hit on my supercharged g8gt, it was perfect in every way, low miles and very fast but some will think since its boosted that its had the shit run out it and that's not always the case. I'd prefer to mod my own, but I have the ability to do the work myself, some don't so they'll buy your modded car or truck but won't want to pay you for what you'vd done. Welcome to the modded car world.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
doc212121

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS White/White
Simple, when you mod a car your doing it for yourself, thats it....Don't start modding to try to affect resale, mod to enjoy it. If you cant afford to mod it and not get your money back you shouldn't be doing it then.
doc212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's going to hurt unless the car is a highly desirable limited edition of some sort.

Let's look at it logically. Anybody could install a supercharger and get a tune. Imagine a TVS2300 getting thrown on two different Camaros. One is tuned by Billy Bob in his garage with a newly purchased HP Tuners. Billy Bob jacks up the tune, has 5 left over fasteners, and has one only one functioning headlight after the install. Meanwhile, the other Camaro goes to Nickey Chicago. This Camaro costs a lot more in work, has a lot of stickers on it, and is not one of those "built not bought" wonders we all appreciate, but that Nickey Camaro is a limited edition with work done by professionals who have years of experience building high-performance cars.

Now, let's say these two cars are for sale. Do you want Billy Bob's garage experiment, or do you want a Nickey Camaro?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #13
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
You know the easiest way to recoup costs? Try to sell it with the mods. If it doesnt, then take the mods off and sell it that way.

Tasteful mods help sell a car. Once you start getting into huge power adders that is a different ballgame.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
2016SS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Take the mods off sell them privately is the best sell the car stock I wouldn't buy a car if I knew it was already modded! But that's me.
2016 Camaro 2SS Summit built 3/28/16 delivered
2018 Camaro ZL1 cancelled by GM 😡
2019 Corvette 2lt Z51
2016SS is offline   Reply With Quote