Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #29
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
ember, if you want a SS with NPP and you can find one that you like(color, options, etc) in the list of 20 or so then my advice is to buy it. NPP and MRC are good options to have and worth the extra money in my opinion.��
Old 05-27-2020, 07:06 AM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
ember, if you want a SS with NPP and you can find one that you like(color, options, etc) in the list of 20 or so then my advice is to buy it. NPP and MRC are good options to have and worth the extra money in my opinion.��
I would happily buy one with NPP, MRC, and in a color I like. They aren't out there in that combo, though.

Convertible, white, NPP, MRC, 6-Speed. You can have any four but not all five, new OR used. :(

There's a very good one near me with no MRC - seems the best candidate overall. I don't like the microfiber steering wheel on it, though. Same dealer has another just like it except it also has MRC but also adds Recaro seats. That second one has an earlier build date and I wonder if they would be able to deal more on that one (doubt it). I really don't like that steering wheel on either of them or I would be more aggressively chasing this dealer to give me a reasonable price on it.

Second dealer that isn't 'too far' away has one without NPP but everything else (including Adrenaline Red interior which I really like with Summit White). I just don't know that I'm willing to give up the NPP for MRC. The question that this car raises is: If I've never even driven a vehicle w/ MRC, will I know what I'm missing if I buy one without it to get NPP?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #31
LT4Greg

The Recaro seats are a nice upgrade in my opinion and you can live without MRC. I understand your dilemma though and the 2nd one you mentioned might be worth checking out.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #32
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
The Recaro seats are a nice upgrade in my opinion and you can live without MRC. I understand your dilemma though and the 2nd one you mentioned might be worth checking out.
I believe I would like either of the ones that the very close by dealer has, but it will absolutely come down to price.

I just don't know that I want the microfiber/suede anywhere in the car. The wearing of it is going to irritate me to no end.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #33
LT4Greg

It’s not that bad to deal with. I had a 2016 2SS that I bought new and kept it until last March 2019 when I bought a used 2017 ZL1 that has the alcantara that didn’t take long to get used to the feel of the steering wheel/shift knob or the inserts in the seats. You could always change later down the road the steering wheel and shift knob to the leather 2SS items. That’s what some folks on the forum have done.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #34
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
It’s not that bad to deal with. I had a 2016 2SS that I bought new and kept it until last March 2019 when I bought a used 2017 ZL1 that has the alcantara that didn’t take long to get used to the feel of the steering wheel/shift knob or the inserts in the seats. You could always change later down the road the steering wheel and shift knob to the leather 2SS items. That’s what some folks on the forum have done.
I've read a number of comments about how the microfiber material gets dirty easily and wears quickly and that wearing driving gloves is recommended. I am not buying this car for that kind of experience, so I don't want it.

I recognize that they could be replaced down the road, but that would be 100% at my expense and that's on top of paying more for it in the first place. I'm going to wait and see what the dealer comes back with before I make any sort of firm decision. The earlier build date on the one with Recaro's (plus its overall higher cost) would -seem- to mean that the dealer could deal a bit more on that one. Either way, I'm going to ask to have the upgraded steering wheel swapped with a standard one. Someone else can pay for that. lol

I'm going to also reach out to the next closest dealer that has the "perfect car" without NPP and see what he's willing to offer. I might just have to deal without having that exhaust since his car has everything else I would want and nothing I don't.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #35
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
On one hand I certainly understand waiting, and going after what you want. On the other, we all survived just fine without MRC and NPP for years and years, and didn't think twice. They're great, but I don't feel either would be a deal breaker for me, assuming the final price reflected that. Frankly the NPP, to me, is simply a gimmick. Mine is long gone. The MRC does make a difference, but I don't track the car, and if I were able to get a deal, I'd certainly give it up. I've blasted through some twisty country roads like I'm on rails, fully enjoying myself, only to later remember that I actually had sport and track modes that I forgot about!

....but there's certainly something cool about having a fully optioned car, with everything the way you want it, whether you need it or not!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #36
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
On one hand I certainly understand waiting, and going after what you want. On the other, we all survived just fine without MRC and NPP for years and years, and didn't think twice. They're great, but I don't feel either would be a deal breaker for me, assuming the final price reflected that. Frankly the NPP, to me, is simply a gimmick. Mine is long gone. The MRC does make a difference, but I don't track the car, and if I were able to get a deal, I'd certainly give it up. I've blasted through some twisty country roads like I'm on rails, fully enjoying myself, only to later remember that I actually had sport and track modes that I forgot about!

....but there's certainly something cool about having a fully optioned car, with everything the way you want it, whether you need it or not!
Why do I want NPP? Because I want to be able to "shut it down" around the neighborhoods. There's no reason to be braaaaaping your way past everyone's house, especially at midnight. So, while I would love a nice sounding exhaust when I'm actually driving it, I also want to be respectful of folks that are trying to sleep.

Why might I want MRC? Lots of folks talk about using it on the track and how much it improves the handling. I want the exact -opposite- from it... I want to throw it in touring mode and have it smooth out the bumps so that it is a well-behaved vehicle when I am NOT looking to be riding the rails.

With that said, I'm certainly open to being talked out of both options if it increases the inventory for me to look at AND would save me some money. lol
Old 05-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #37
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Why do I want NPP? Because I want to be able to "shut it down" around the neighborhoods. There's no reason to be braaaaaping your way past everyone's house, especially at midnight. So, while I would love a nice sounding exhaust when I'm actually driving it, I also want to be respectful of folks that are trying to sleep.

Brapping your way through the neighborhood is a throttle foot issue, not an exhaust issue. My AWE is much louder than wide open NPP "track" mode when I'm on it, but it's completely civil under 2000 RPMs and while cruising on the highway. I'm 44, have kids, and great neighbors. Not some college kid with straight pipes. Is it louder than stock NPP quiet mode? -Yes, but I think the idea you have in your head about the NPP Loud/Quiet, isn't how it actually is. Loud isn't LOUD, and the quiet isn't silent.

Quote:
Why might I want MRC? Lots of folks talk about using it on the track and how much it improves the handling. I want the exact -opposite- from it... I want to throw it in touring mode and have it smooth out the bumps so that it is a well-behaved vehicle when I am NOT looking to be riding the rails.

Most of the reviews I've read put the regular suspension quality above the MRC. -unless you're on the track. I can confirm this on the C6 Corvette platform, though I have no comparison on my 6th gen as I've only driven my MRC equipped car.

I mean look, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just giving you input as to why you might be able to do without one or the other. I'm not telling you what to do. You obviously want both, so don't settle. Get what you want!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #38
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Brapping your way through the neighborhood is a throttle foot issue, not an exhaust issue. My AWE is much louder than wide open NPP "track" mode when I'm on it, but it's completely civil under 2000 RPMs and while cruising on the highway. I'm 44, have kids, and great neighbors. Not some college kid with straight pipes. Is it louder than stock NPP quiet mode? -Yes, but I think the idea you have in your head about the NPP Loud/Quiet, isn't how it actually is. Loud isn't LOUD, and the quiet isn't silent.

Most of the reviews I've read put the regular suspension quality above the MRC. -unless you're on the track. I can confirm this on the C6 Corvette platform, though I have no comparison on my 6th gen as I've only driven my MRC equipped car.

I mean look, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just giving you input as to why you might be able to do without one or the other. I'm not telling you what to do. You obviously want both, so don't settle. Get what you want!
I'm not taking any of this as an argument - I see it as info and perspective, which is what I am seeking.

While I -think- I want both, I honestly don't know whether that's actually true and is why I'm looking for real-world info on these things.

If standard suspension behaves better in DD situations, then I don't see a need for MRC. What I have read touts MRC as having a better setup on both ends of the spectrum - track AND DD use.

On the exhaust side, I completely follow and understand what you're saying. The reality is that A) my driveway is uphill - so I'll have to put my foot into it "a little" when coming home and B) a portion of my road is uphill each way - so, again, putting my foot into it a little. I get that one can keep it civil by being light on the pedal, but given that I'm buying a 6 speed, I don't want to be overly lugging the engine if I don't have to. My thinking has been that flipping it to Touring and shutting down the outer tips will provide as much "muffilng" as possible while still allowing me to crank it back open once I'm out on the roadways to get the strong undertones back. I'm my rationale is completely flawed, then I just need to be made aware.

Thanks for chiming in with what you've been able to offer.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
nferr

Drives: CamaroRS, Cadillac CTS, MGB
MRC is great until it comes time for replacement. Then all you hear is crying. Been on the Cadillac forums a long time.
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #40
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nferr View Post
MRC is great until it comes time for replacement. Then all you hear is crying. Been on the Cadillac forums a long time.
Because of cost? Something else? A combo?
Old 05-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #41
nferr

Drives: CamaroRS, Cadillac CTS, MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Because of cost? Something else? A combo?
Cost. They go to the dealer who quotes them for $550 or so per shock plus the cost of installation. Now they have a $2500 bill or more just to replace shocks. The older versions like the old STS's are about $900 a shock!
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #42
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nferr View Post
Cost. They go to the dealer who quotes them for $550 or so per shock plus the cost of installation. Now they have a $2500 bill or more just to replace shocks. The older versions like the old STS's are about $900 a shock!
Gotcha. That's dealer selling at rack rate, though.

How often are these slated for replacement? I honestly don't remember the last time I've done suspension of any kind on any of my vehicles (granted, they don't last more than about 75k miles with most being gone by 50k).