Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
SilverHokie

Drives: 86 Camaro IROC LG4, 16 Subaru WRX
Clutch supposed to be this "soft"?

Hi,

Before I ask I will note that I did do a search and didn't find an answer and I acknowledge that I might have missed the appropriate thread. To appease the gods of "use the search feature" I will humbly ask someone to link if this has been answered.

I went on a test drive of the car I will be picking up this week. The clutch to me felt very soft without any resistance as I pushed it in. Took me two starts before I got used to it. I'm used to the purely hydraulic clutch in my IROC and whatever my WRX has. Both have the "feel" where you can feel the clutch plates engaging. The 2SS didn't have the same level of resistance in the petal.

Once I get her I can bleed the clutch, but before I do... any thoughts? Is this normal? The car accelerated like a bat out of hell with no slipping and gear changes were smooth and easy. Do I just need to get used to this?

(Yes, I know my IROC is not a 5th nor a 6th gen. I'm here as I am thinking about a newer convertible and I know from experience most of the Camaro forum members are helpful and understanding.... right?!?)
SilverHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
This is a twin disc clutch so the engagement could feel different than your other clutches if they were single disc. Other than that - clutch feel is so subjective that its hard for me to say that your clutch feel of "too soft" is a problem or normal. I"m going to lean to the side of saying that your clutch is operating normal and to drive it a while and see if you don't get used to it.

For me - I have had several manual transmissions from many different car makes and I find this to be the easiest, smoothest and most consistent clutch to operate of the bunch.

Enjoy your new Camaro!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
My clutch pedal feels a bit softer than expected as well. I dont think that's abnormal. My old bug eyed wrx had a heavier feel, then again, I replaced it with a ACT and then became a workout lol.
I think the oem one is designed to be smooth and kinda feathery to ease the driver and not make it a headache.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
The clutch pedal in these cars is light.
Much lighter then any WRx you have driven. I remember my 15wrx had a clutch pedal that felt like old skool v8 muscle cars it was so heavy. Your clutch in the Camaro is fine, it's just how they are.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #5
SilverHokie

Drives: 86 Camaro IROC LG4, 16 Subaru WRX
Thanks. After driving her home, and the wife around town definitely felt better and I got more used to how she drives.

(Yes, I know my IROC is not a 5th nor a 6th gen. I'm here as I am thinking about a newer convertible and I know from experience most of the Camaro forum members are helpful and understanding.... right?!?)
SilverHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:29 AM   #6
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Enjoy it !
Flowtie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Ive not looked at it in the camaro but the Mustangs have a spring in the pedal that is removable or can be replaced with a heavier spring to improve the pedal feel and or weight.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote