Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #15
DaveJ89

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Bright Yellow
Yes, the wheel straps on the front of the trailer are all I used. They kept the car firmly in place. I didn't have any worries about using them alone, for the front. I ended up twisting up the safety chains to keep them from dragging and swinging around. I would have to look under the rear of my car again to see exactly where I wrapped the straps. I believe I went around the rear swingarms. As a stated by another member, the rear straps just keep the car from bouncing around and add some additional stability. Just need to avoid wrapping the straps around any brake lines or electrical connections/wires. I ended up buying the tie down brackets from a vendor at CamaroFest to make things easier in the future.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
What about using an 8 point system on the U-Haul trailer in addition to the wheel straps for the front that are already there?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #17
DaveJ89

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Bright Yellow
That is an option to, I haven't used those harnesses when hauling my car, but it would work to. Honestly once you tighten the over the tire straps/web around the front tires, you will see how well the car is held to the trailer. I covered 1600 miles over some rough highways and had zero issues.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #18
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
To be clear - I am not against using a plate, but there is no option to do so. DMV is closed, and neither state uses temp tags (MA doesn't even recognize them). I've already gotten input from a CT State Trooper telling me point blank that no plate or moving the plate from my other vehicle is 100% illegal. I could be stopped, ticketed, towed, and impounded. With most state functions shut down, it could be MONTHS before I would ever see my car again.

I get it, I read your first post. Clearly better safe than sorry, I just stated what I’d do. I know the risks.

There's no trade involved, so I only need to move the new car home. I can get it done and have already gotten a quote. Because of the distance, it is prohibitively expensive as it would offset a large portion of the break I'm getting on the car's price. There is no in-state option to get this car as it's hard to find in general - I just happen to be fortunate enough that my national search for a car yielded one that is "this close" to me. Again, I get it... sounds like you’re tight on cash.

It's getting trailered - I just need help with understanding the specifics of the safety chains so that I am completely prepared when I get to the dealer's lot on Saturday.
Well, good luck...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #19
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Just in case someone reads this thread down the road: attaching plates from another vehicle is a felony in Massachusetts, FYI. Definitely do not want to do that.

To the OP: do you know anyone with a good quality trailer you can borrow? Just seems like the U-Haul ones are a recipe for trouble IMO.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #20
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Just in case someone reads this thread down the road: attaching plates from another vehicle is a felony in Massachusetts, FYI. Definitely do not want to do that.

To the OP: do you know anyone with a good quality trailer you can borrow? Just seems like the U-Haul ones are a recipe for trouble IMO.
Just to clarify, attaching plates, obscuring plates or for instance not having a front license plate on when you should (which I’ve done Prior for a lot of years), is a misdemeanor, not a felony. Read the article below about attaching plates for a new purchase.

I’m not making light of anyone’s concerns.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...79906656%3famp
Old 06-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #21
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
To be clear - I am not against using a plate, but there is no option to do so. DMV is closed, and neither state uses temp tags (MA doesn't even recognize them). I've already gotten input from a CT State Trooper telling me point blank that no plate or moving the plate from my other vehicle is 100% illegal. I could be stopped, ticketed, towed, and impounded. With most state functions shut down, it could be MONTHS before I would ever see my car again.

There's no trade involved, so I only need to move the new car home. I can get it done and have already gotten a quote. Because of the distance, it is prohibitively expensive as it would offset a large portion of the break I'm getting on the car's price. There is no in-state option to get this car as it's hard to find in general - I just happen to be fortunate enough that my national search for a car yielded one that is "this close" to me.

It's getting trailered - I just need help with understanding the specifics of the safety chains so that I am completely prepared when I get to the dealer's lot on Saturday.

For about $400 you can have it delivered VIA truck. If you can't afford that, then buy a car in NC and be done. You're making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #22
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Just to clarify, attaching plates, obscuring plates or for instance not having a front license plate on when you should (which I’ve done Prior for a lot of years), is a misdemeanor, not a felony. Read the article below about attaching plates for a new purchase.

I’m not making light of anyone’s concerns.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...79906656%3famp
Your right, my bad for using the wrong term. But a criminal misdemeanor charge can technically mean jail time and a criminal record. Bad juju either way...
Old 06-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #23
ember1205
Hot Camaro

I stopped at a U-Haul location tonight and measured two trailers that they had on the lot. Both could accommodate a maximum width for the wheels of 79.5 inches while the specs on the car state a maximum width of 74.7 inches. So, while it isn't a lot of space on each side, it's completely doable.

For reference, the iteration I spoke with started that there are now three different car trailers, ALL of which are the gray galvanized steel. The GTWR of each is 6k, 7k, and 7.5k. The 7.5k version appears to be the newest version, but also has the coupler I would trust the least. So, I'm going to ask for the 7k model (this has the coupler that you screw down the clamp).

The width of the track is 19" and the space from the very front edge to the bar that the straps are permanently attached to is about 19" as well (it's 20" on the 7.5k trailer. I will be cutting 2x8's at 19", stacking two, and beveling the leading edge of the top one. A second 19" board will sit ahead of the bar to help raise the front as the wheel approaches the stacked boards.

I'm going to get some additional wood or together into "ramps" to put under the rear wheels of the truck to help with loading angle.

I'm going to leave the rear of the car "loose" - there isn't a good way to lash it down with straps and there's no way I'm putting that chain anywhere near the underside of the car. It's all smooth highway to get home, and I will be well under the speed limit.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:25 PM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetime View Post
For about $400 you can have it delivered VIA truck. If you can't afford that, then buy a car in NC and be done. You're making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.
There's not a chance in the world of getting it transported by truck for that price. It's 140 miles and rates are $4/mile plus fees (like tolls).

Why would I buy a car in NC? As, as stated, this specific car is basically the only one of its kind left for sale.

So, nothing about your response is accurate or helpful
Old 06-02-2020, 09:43 PM   #25
Chutzpah

Quote:
There's not a chance in the world of getting it transported by truck for that price. It's 140 miles and rates are $4/mile plus fees (like tolls).

Why would I buy a car in NC? As, as stated, this specific car is basically the only one of its kind left for sale.

So, nothing about your response is accurate or helpful
Can I ask how much it’s going to cost for the trailer rental, mileage charges, fuel, taxes, any extra insurance, tolls incorporating extra axles etc? I’m sure you’ve done your homework, so I’m intrigued to know how you’ll save by doing this yourself.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #26
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Can I ask how much it’s going to cost for the trailer rental, mileage charges, fuel, taxes, any extra insurance, tolls incorporating extra axles etc? I’m sure you’ve done your homework, so I’m intrigued to know how you’ll save by doing this yourself.
Trailer will total about $75 with taxes. Tolls will increase by about $10. Extra gas... Maybe another $30. No insurance additions required.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #27
Chutzpah

Quote:
Trailer will total about $75 with taxes. Tolls will increase by about $10. Extra gas... Maybe another $30. No insurance additions required.
I remember spending a lot of time and sometimes wasted effort, either because I had little $, or I just wanted to do something my way ( sometimes both). My guess is you’ll spend more $ on gas and worry about the ass end of the car not being secured (I know I would), hope to hell the wood you brought will do what you intended etc. Anyway you slice it, if you move forward with this plan, you’ll have to post up pics of the loading process / car.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:49 AM   #28
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
I remember spending a lot of time and sometimes wasted effort, either because I had little $, or I just wanted to do something my way ( sometimes both). My guess is you’ll spend more $ on gas and worry about the ass end of the car not being secured (I know I would), hope to hell the wood you brought will do what you intended etc. Anyway you slice it, if you move forward with this plan, you’ll have to post up pics of the loading process / car.
I evaluate cost and value separately. In this instance, I personally feel the value is too low to hire someone. I have towed a fair amount long distance on the highways. I'm comfortable with the risks I would need to take on to do this. The cost is very low ($100).

Yes, I won't know whether any of it will work until I try it myself, but I'm comfortable with that part of the risk because I have found so much really useful information from other threads in this forum about this very topic.

I plan to get some pics and maybe even video of the loading and unloading.