Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Will Camaro Get the LT2 Engine Before 2023?

just curious. Or is it proprietary to the Corvette? Im thinking a version with wet sump and about 5 hp less than the C8. Also, will the iLT2's ntake fit under the Camaro's hood?
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Short answer is No.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Short answer is No.
Long answer is the LT2 is a slightly hopped-up version of the LT1:
-Changed camshaft profile on the exhaust side (for Z51 headers)
-Improved intake manifold (C7 hoodline restricted plenum space and some runner's length on LT1)
-Integrated dry-sump system
-Revised block to incorporate mid-engine configuration

The possibility for the LT2 intake to fit under the hood of the Camaro is questionable. It's likely, easily, possible with changed engine mounts to lower the engine (bu how much?). However, word is that the under-side of the LT2 intake is configured to the LT2 (keep in mind the intake faces the opposite way in the C8) and requires either a spacer or some modification to the intake to fit on the LT1 correctly.

The LT2 block will, simply, not mount-up easily in the Camaro as it was designed for mid-engine layout.

It would be cool to see GM make an "LT3" variant of the LT2 by applying the LT2 intake (or modified variant) and include the LT2 cam to provide an upgrade to the LT1/L87 for a specialty truck and upgraded Camaro SS.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
just curious. Or is it proprietary to the Corvette? Im thinking a version with wet sump and about 5 hp less than the C8. Also, will the iLT2's ntake fit under the Camaro's hood?
It's not just the intake, the LT2 block is different to work with the mid engine layout. I just say stuff the LT5 in one
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
The 2022 SS camaro will get the LT2....at least I pray so.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
As GM has just recently given a public eye wink at an upcoming electric performance vehicle I would suggest you have a better chance of the Camaro either becoming or bowing out for an EV more more than LT2. Especially with current sales, I don't see GM spending money to add or replace an engine.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
As GM has just recently given a public eye wink at an upcoming electric performance vehicle I would suggest you have a better chance of the Camaro either becoming or bowing out for an EV more more than LT2. Especially with current sales, I don't see GM spending money to add or replace an engine.
If the chevy decides to stop making the Camaro then I suggest they just convert over to full time making ventilators.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
The Camaros sales are sagging. It is already a superior all around performer than its 2 main competitors. A new engine option which offers only a modest HP increase than the current V8 will not offer a profitable sales boost. It may cause a few existing Camaro owners to step up, but I do not see it as having a profitable impact as far as market share is concerned. GM would have a better shot to recoup that investment if they offered it in a truck.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
If the chevy decides to stop making the Camaro then I suggest they just convert over to full time making ventilators.
We only have ourselves to blame for this. Why aren't people buying as many Camaros like they used to compared to the 5th gen days? It can't be all related to the pent-up demand excuse people like to throw out.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
We only have ourselves to blame for this. Why aren't people buying as many Camaros like they used to compared to the 5th gen days? It can't be all related to the pent-up demand excuse people like to throw out.
Cause maybe people don't want cars with defective transmissions. Love my Camaro but you have to admit Chevy kinda screwed the pooch with the trans and power steering issues. The price point is a little high for entry level buyers wanting a V8 until the LT1 came out.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
I Go To Costco

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Lot of people want a crossover or SUV these days.

EVs aren't quite there yet, but I hope GM does not follow Ford and make some abomination named the Camaro-E.
I Go To Costco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #12
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I mean, consider that GM killed off the Z/28 after it had seemingly been fairly deep into investigation.

Maybe GM will dump the LT5 into a ZL1 for something special, but I really don't expect them to do anything beyond paint and body (or anything that is an easy-button) to the rest of the Camaro lineup.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #13
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I really hope that the LT2 and LT5 don't make their way into the Camaro. I think that would awfully wasteful on their part. This isn't some perspective that I'm tossing out there because I'm a Corvette owner, it's because this platform is all but dead and them putting money into tooling, development and retrofitting different engines into the Camaro, at this point, seems like a terrible financial decision.

Maybe a few more cosmetic options (paint colors, stripes, etc.?) would make sense before the Camaro dies but, a whole new engine? For what? How much would that car cost? Where would it make sense and fit within the current lineup or if it replaced one of the models already available, how much of a premium would you be willing to pay for that car? How much would GM ask as a premium over their already poorly selling car? I just don't see how this would make any sense from a business perspective.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The Camaro will soldier on with the LT1 and the LT4 until the 6gen has the plug pulled on it. Chevy is putting the emphasis on SUVs, Crossovers and Trucks now since those are what types of vehicles people are buying. I don’t really see how the Corvette has survived the cut all these years but at least it’s still selling even in its eighth generation.