Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #15
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I would drill the studs myself if I were you, especially if you want to save the wheels.
Start with a centering punch and a small bit so your first hole is as close to center as possible, then go bigger. If it is not perfectly centered you will end up chewing up part of the lug nut collar but hopefully not the wheel.
I can promise you this will be a pain in the butt!
Consider billing the tire shop for you time and some drill bits.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #16
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I would drill the studs myself if I were you, especially if you want to save the wheels.
Start with a centering punch and a small bit so your first hole is as close to center as possible, then go bigger. If it is not perfectly centered you will end up chewing up part of the lug nut collar but hopefully not the wheel.
I can promise you this will be a pain in the butt!
Consider billing the tire shop for you time and some drill bits.
IMO, there's a 99% chance you'll destroy the wheels doing this anyways as you wont be able to perfectly center the hole, and it's a ton of material to drill out. If you remove the flange from the backside of the wheelstud by drilling, grinding or melting you could then push it out from the back towards the front through the wheel. Much less drilling that way too, but you'll have to remove the hubs.

Otherwise, I'd just order new hubs and wheels, give the old hub/wheel assemblies to the shop, let them see if they can save the wheels and bill them for new hubs, wheels and labor.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #17
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
IMO, there's a 99% chance you'll destroy the wheels doing this anyways as you wont be able to perfectly center the hole, and it's a ton of material to drill out.
DaveC could be right.
This is the classic "rock vs. a hard place" problem.
Document what you do with photos.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:10 PM   #18
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
DaveC could be right.
This is the classic "rock vs. a hard place" problem.
Document what you do with photos.
Yeah, it's one of the worst things I've seen happen of this type.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of simply replacing both the hubs and wheels with new ones and not even trying to take the wheels off. Let the wheel shop deal with trying to save the wheels if they want to, imo it may not be worth the effort unless you have a lot of spare time. If you pay a shop the labor may exceed the value of the wheels.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #19
Perezl2576

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Hey everyone, just an update and thanks for weighing in everyone. So the shop who sold me the lug nuts pushed it to their claims department who have denied the claim, They stated since I installed the rims myself that I over torqued the lugs on tot he car and is my fault. Yes I installed myself, but essentially the only thing I bought was the lugnuts from the tire shop which is what they recommended. So im SOL. I'm bringing it home today and will attempt to use some sort of pulley puller first and see what happens. If not I will take my time and drill out each lug stud. At this point I could care less about the rims, I bought them used at a really good price so not a super big loss, but a loss none the less. Thanks everyone.
Perezl2576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:38 AM   #20
Perezl2576

UPDATE

***********UPDATE**************
So i was able to get one of the rims off using a non arbored hole saw, unfortunately the lug studs are gone now as well as the one rim. I'm waiting on a 5/8 hole sae to arrive today so I can do the other 3 rims. I believe with the smaller holesaw Ill be able to actually cut out the extend thread portion of the lug nut that broke off into the rim. But essentially yes, they sold me the wrong lug nuts. Thanks for everyone feedback, its truly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2022, 12:56 PM   #21
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Holy smokes!! Glad you’re moving in the right direction.

Not surprised they denied your claim….and I know you’re busy getting your car going again, but I’d be talking to that insurance company again. Clearly there’s no witness marks, a very good point by a member here. How can they can explain that away? If you can get one wheel off without damaging it, I’d ask the seller of the lug nuts to install them again on that one wheel, to prove the nuts are the issue. My guess, they won’t want to do it.

Edit… is one of your pictures showing the lug nut sleeve not readily sliding through an up damaged wheel stud opening?

Best of luck to you OP.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:55 PM   #22
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Freaking unreal!!!

Bravo man! Very happy to see you make progress. F those nuts and that shop. Hopefully you can save the wheels and use them for spares or maybe drifting wheels. If not, destroy and move on.

With you in spirit. Hang in there.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:01 PM   #23
DaveC113

Glad to hear you're making progress!

Old 08-22-2022, 04:32 AM   #24
Chrome383Z

Glad you found a solution… what an ordeal.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #25
ctrlz

Perezl, you are doing some fine work there!

The tire shop is at least partly to blame here, IMHO. At the very least, they should be interested in seeing your pictures to train their staff so they never do this again.

This is proof that "close" is not good enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Edit… is one of your pictures showing the lug nut sleeve not readily sliding through an undamaged wheel stud opening?
This is exactly what I think he is trying to show.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:10 AM   #26
Aquarius

Drives: Rapid Blue 2022 Camaro 1SS
the lug nuts displayed look to be ET lug nuts for aftermarket wheels. That extra bit of thread after the acorn head is the difference between normal lug nuts and an ET lug nut. It is meant to provide some extra threads that may be lost if putting spacers behind your wheels or if the aftermarket wheels are much thicker than the normal OEM wheel.

It looks like the extra threads have broken off of the rest of the lug nuts. I know I had to measure the size of the hole on my wheels to make sure there was enough space for them to fit (I needed .625" of space for them to fit). My assumption is it looks like holes for the lugs nuts on your wheels were not big enough for them to fit and and broke off when they were put on. Unless you neglected to mention you have a small spacer or your wheels are abnormally thick, they should have probably used just normal acorn lug nuts meant for aftermarket wheels. Also, after looking at the pictures of the threads on the bolts, something was not right. Either wrong pitch or wrong size. Did it feel like you were fighting them the moment you threaded them on, or did they finger-tighten snug?
11/9/2021 - 3400 Status TPW 11/15
11/24/2021 - 3800 Status built 11/21/2021
12/2/2021 - 5000 Status
12/13/2021 - 6000 Status

Last edited by Aquarius; 08-27-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:23 AM   #27
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
Also, after looking at the pictures of the threads on the bolts, something was not right. Either wrong pitch or wrong size.
Yes, follow-up would be nice.
It does seem like the ET part of the nut seized and then the stud threads got damaged when the top part was torqued. So I think they sheared while being installed.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #28
Perezl2576

Apologies for the delayed response all. Here is the final outcome. Tire shop screwed me, they denied my claim, all 4 rims are destroyed, had to replace all 10 front lug studs and then i replaced both rear hub bearing assemblies. All in all a $1500 loss including the rims.

After i was able to get them all off, I took one of the new ET lugs I still had and tried to fit it through the rim lug hole on the backside (which tire shop did not do when I went to them to buy the lug nuts, I was not as educated as I am now, so that's on me) it would not fit , but if you angled it right it would kind of go in.
When I installed these, I hand tightened with a manual lug wrench then torqued to spec with a digital and manual torque wrench. Never felt any resistance whatsoever.
There were no spacers used at all.
Front Rim's were 20x9 ET 18(245/35/20) and rear were 20x10.5 ET25 (285/35/20).

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and input, it was truly appreciated.