LT4, same as from the ZL1, CTS-v, and Z06 50 15.58%
'super LT4' with a bigger blower or turbos making 700+ 31 9.66%
Other (please specify) 10 3.12%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #43

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I think the Z/28 will sell better if it has same HP as ZL1.

I'm not saying it makes the 28 a better car, I'm just sayingn 99% of consumers go solely by HP....

look at HC.
If the ZL-1 can handle the LT4 at the Ring, many hours at Spring Mountain without any problems, etc., I think the argument for staying away from S/C in a Z/28 loses some credibility.

The main advantage I see is the new platform for the 6thGen. There probably isn't as much room now to differentiate between a ZL-1 and the Z/28 as there was with the 5thGen....The weight loss, suspension, brakes, etc., etc., of the 5thGen really set the Z/28 apart from the others.

I see nothing wrong with using all the hp the LT4 can provide and bump up the suspension and track-worthiness, etc., etc., in a Z/28 that would make it a stand alone track car. It would validate the proof that heat-soak, complexity, etc., any other issues of S/C for the track have been eliminated...

We can all cherry-pick the traditions, dna, heritage that suits an argument, but honestly that ship has sailed, and even with the 5thGen, it was way different than the original....It can still be a Z/28 if it is the best performing track car that Camaro can offer, even if it uses the same engine as the ZL-1.

All Camaro models are a progressive improvement over the other. The Z/28 sales will be the least of all of them. An LT4 will fit in just fine...

Could be all wrong....no worries regardless of what they put in it....Just my rambling thoughts...Peace...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #44
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I really don't care about Corvette's for a couple reasons. First, I just don't see that many at the track, especially the Z06's. It seems most people who buy the most track capable vettes do not take them to the track. Second, most Corvette guys who DO track their cars are actually pretty cool. Not sure if it is because we are both driving GM cars or what but my experience has been they are usually fun people. The import crowd however can be a different story. They tend to look down their noses at the Camaro so when I have a chance to put one behind me, I take great joy in doing so.
I find guys at the track are cool no matter what they brung.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #45
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
If the ZL-1 can handle the LT4 at the Ring, many hours at Spring Mountain without any problems, etc., I think the argument for staying away from S/C in a Z/28 loses some credibility.

The main advantage I see is the new platform for the 6thGen. There probably isn't as much room now to differentiate between a ZL-1 and the Z/28 as there was with the 5thGen....The weight loss, suspension, brakes, etc., etc., of the 5thGen really set the Z/28 apart from the others.

I see nothing wrong with using all the hp the LT4 can provide and bump up the suspension and track-worthiness, etc., etc., in a Z/28 that would make it a stand alone track car. It would validate the proof that heat-soak, complexity, etc., any other issues of S?C for the track have been eliminated...

We can all cherry-pick the traditions, dna, heritage that suits an argument, but honestly that ship has sailed, and even with the 5thGen, it was way different than the original....It can still be a Z/28 if it is the best performing track car that Camaro can offer, even if it uses the same engine as the ZL-1.

All Camaro models are a progressive improvement over the other. The Z/28 sales will be the least of all of them. An LT4 will fit in just fine...

Could be all wrong....no worries regardless of what they put in it....Just my rambling thoughts...Peace...
i agree if heat is not an issue then that part of argument is moot, but still, there is room to argue for a lighter N/A up front for weight distribution purposes...

I think GM will make it highly capable on the track regardless.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #46

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
i agree if heat is not an issue then that part of argument is moot, but still, there is room to argue for a lighter N/A up front for weight distribution purposes...

I think GM will make it highly capable on the track regardless.
I hear you, but if the current ZL-1 is apparently such a track success with the LT4, the weight up front may not be that much of an issue. The power offered by the LT4 in the new platform could just make a Z/28 build that much better...maybe....just sayin'....

As far as cost, the Z/28 will still be the most expensive of all....if the LT4 can help keep it reasonable with it's "track competition" all the better....I just see a unique engine of some sorts in a Z/28 adding significantly to that cost...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #47
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

I see nothing wrong with using all the hp the LT4 can provide and bump up the suspension and track-worthiness, etc., etc., in a Z/28 that would make it a stand alone track car. It would validate the proof that heat-soak, complexity, etc., any other issues of S/C for the track have been eliminated...

The Z06 ran the Ring and completed GMs durability tests. That didn't prevent it from having overheating issues.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #48
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Alright, poll added. I tossed the flat plane crank idea in along with the small displacement engine.

I almost included a DOHC option as well, but then realized that there isn't anything that would prevent any of the 'new' engines from being DOHC on top of whatever else they might be.

My personal opinion is that it will probably be an 'LT7' style engine. A new generation of large displacement NA small block glory. But I'm not even 50% confident that its going to go that way. If the car is actually a 'ZL1 ultra' instead of a Z/28, I could definitely see it coming with a new forced induction engine that makes a lot more power.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #49
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I voted different just because you two pegged the needle on the LS7 option.

I know Al O. commented he'd like to play with the flat plane crank, so there's that.

Cam/head/exhaust work on the LT1 might wake it up pretty well, I'm going with that and a nice N/A HP bump to the existing engine.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:14 PM   #50
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I voted small displacement because a 302 would be badass but I would be thrilled with an LS7 replacement. An upgraded LT1 wouldn't be bad but I don't think it would necessarily be worthy of a Z/28. If they used that motor and it kept the price down I think people would grow to love it but an LT7 or a 302 would be an instant legend.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #51
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
It probably will be 6.2 liters but I wouldn't expect it to be any smaller.

I'm hoping it's a large displacement V8 that revs to at least 7k rpm and makes 550 hp and 500 tq.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #52
KyleL

Drives: Slow
LT7, or maybe a slightly larger ci motor than the LT1 (6.4-6.6), but hopefully LT7
Old 05-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #53
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Sticking with LT4 prediction....The game is for the fastest track weapon....That's heritage enough for the Z/28....FI's time has come. It's still Chevy/GM.

A brand new, very low volume, super-car unique engine still isn't in their mind-set. Maybe there is something in the skunk-works for a future mid-engine Corvette in a few more years. I think it's just too soon for the Z/28 if it comes out in the 50th anniversary year, which it should.

A slightly bumped up LT1 for the Z/28? I don't think so. That should be saved for a 1LE or re-fresh SS upgrade. A very high hp N/A v-8? They tried that road and had to turn around. I don't think they will build an in-betweener engine that can't keep up with the ZL-1 just to say that it's N/A.

The volume of Z/28 units just isn't/won't be there to justify a unique engine. We'll see, though!...Happy guessing!
You know that is a really good point. The Z/28 is supposed to be the ultimate track Camaro, what if it can't take down the 640HP ZL1? I know last gen the Z/28 was down 75HP to the ZL1, but the ZL1 was also quite the porker. This gen that shouldn't be as a big of a problem, but even if the Z/28 has a screaming 550HP N/A motor, is that going to be enough to chase down a 640HP Camaro?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #54
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
You know that is a really good point. The Z/28 is supposed to be the ultimate track Camaro, what if it can't take down the 640HP ZL1? I know last gen the Z/28 was down 75HP to the ZL1, but the ZL1 was also quite the porker. This gen that shouldn't be as a big of a problem, but even if the Z/28 has a screaming 550HP N/A motor, is that going to be enough to chase down a 640HP Camaro?
The power to weight difference will be fairly similar this gen vs last. Even thought the ZL1 is getting comparatively more power, the Z/28 (if its they again make it ~100 lbs lighter than the SS) would get comparatively lighter. 300 lbs on 3900 is a bigger deal than 300 lbs on 4100.

And weight plays a role in any type of acceleration: forward, backwards (ie, braking), and lateral. A more powerful engine doesn't do a whole lot to make a car turn better. So even if the ZL1 gets a better advantage in accelerating, it will be at a bigger disadvantage when slowing down or cornering.

Plus there are other smaller factors, like weight distribution. The 6th gen is already fairly nose heavy, sticking a blower under the hood isn't going to help any. But if they can (somehow) front-bias the weight savings on the Z/28 it could have a dramatic affect on the relative handling of the two cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #55
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The 69 ZL1 would outrun the Z/28 ... till the road twisted...

Today, the ZL1 can scoot AND handle, but it's gonna be heavy. Depends on how much weight they can drop from the Z/28.

It's gonna be tougher to find weight reduction this time around, I believe.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #56
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
It's gonna be tougher to find weight reduction this time around, I believe.
The bulk of the weight saved was in the wheels, tires, and brakes. With the ZL1 still using big 20" wheels and massive steel brakes, there is quite a bit of low hanging fruit to pick off.

A lot of the other stuff generally removed weight from the rear, which I think the team might want to avoid this time due to the existing front weight bias. They might look into do things like aluminum or maybe even carbon fibre front fenders instead of doing things like removing sound deadening and shaving the rear glass. Then again, it wouldn't make too much sense to setup tooling for just Z/28 front fenders when they could just as easily be used on a ZL1 as well.

Point is, there are plenty of opportunities to cut weight on the Z/28. While doing the exact sames things as last time might not achieve the same weight loss ... I don't expect them to do the exact same things this time.

Camaro Fest sub-forum