Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #29
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Most remote starting systems are programable, one of the options is to set it to start and run for a specified amount of time. That allows you to circulate the oil with out touching the car or even the keys. Kinda like setting your comuter or laptop to look for updates on a regular basis.
I've also had RS on my last three trucks and it is so nice to start it and let it warm up while you are getting dressed and eating breakfast. With RS you can defrost or melt snow off the windshield without touching an ice scraper.
I have had 2 GM cars with remote start, they were not programable, they had a set 10 minute run time, but you could start it a second time if the first 10 minutes were not enough.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #30
SickRS

Drives: 2002 Trans AM WS6
All the new Viper systems come with the ability to be installed on a Manual transmission and will not void anything, look them up.
SickRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #31
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
Remote Starter for Manual

I talked to someone that installs alarms and remote starters for a living and he told me that there is an after market application available for manual transmision now. I'm getting a remote starter installed on my Camaro.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #32
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zforce View Post
I talked to someone that installs alarms and remote starters for a living and he told me that there is an after market application available for manual transmision now. I'm getting a remote starter installed on my Camaro.
cool... just remember the whole point of this thread: don't leave it in gear when you get out
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #33
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Well, for those of us who don't live in Southern Cali, believe it or not, it's gets cold outside!!! And at 5:00 am when you're getting dressed and ready for work, the remote start is very helpful when you don't want to run outside in freezing temps to warm up your car. And most remote start systems are quite effective from more than 10 feet away!! The system on my Wife's truck is capable of starting from about 500 feet away. So yes, it is very convenient.
Like this guy???
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #34
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
honestly i can't see why a remote start on a manual isn't possible for GM to do. My girlfriend bought a 07 civic ex 5 speed, and the honda dealership installed the starter for $600. the way it works is when she parks, has to be in neutral, e-brake on, removes the key but the car still runs till she shuts the door. Then the car shuts off and the remote beeps indicating the remote starter is active.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #35
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker6969 View Post
honestly i can't see why a remote start on a manual isn't possible for GM to do. My girlfriend bought a 07 civic ex 5 speed, and the honda dealership installed the starter for $600. the way it works is when she parks, has to be in neutral, e-brake on, removes the key but the car still runs till she shuts the door. Then the car shuts off and the remote beeps indicating the remote starter is active.
That's pretty good. Simple solution, and I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #36
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRS View Post
All the new Viper systems come with the ability to be installed on a Manual transmission and will not void anything, look them up.
Viper doesn't give a shit about your warranty, of course they are going to say that. If you're ECM burns up and they see that an ignition module is wired into it, GM is not replacing it, plain and simple.

The liability for lawsuits will come to the people who install them, not make them. Again, I've owned two manuals with remote start...the one was there when I bought the car, the other one I had a shop hook most of it up, but I had to plug in the harness when I left so that I was liable. I signed a waiver saying they didn't hook it up and everyone was happy.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #37
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
For those of you that are looking to get a remote starter on the Camaro with a manual transmision, I found this site that explaines how they are doing it now. I know if an installer in Indiana (North West near Chicago Il.) that is going to do it as soon as I get my car. But this web site is very informative and explaines how they can now install a remote starter on a manual transmision.

http://www.mobileedgeonline.com/wp-c...-transmission/