Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #29
Red Leader

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
I had the same issue with my 2016 1SS. My car has no mods tho, but your air suspension most likely doesn't play a role in this issue. It's a starter issue. When the car is hot and you go to do an immediate restart after shutting down the starter has soaked up too much heat and the resistance is too high. I burnt up my starter one day from this, no fire, but definitely smoke coming from the area because it got overheated. Replaced under warranty. But it still has the issue because there is not enough heat shielding around the starter. There have been others on this forum with the same issue. Hopefully this helps some in resolving the issue, but it sounds like the dealer has latched onto your air suspension as the cause, so not sure how to get around that.
Black Bow Ties
Black Metallic Rally Stripes
Black Wheels With Red Outline

TPW 12/14/15
1G1FE1R72G0133041 - 12/16 built
2/19/16 - It's mine!!

Previous rides:
2011 Camaro LS
2010 Camaro SS
1988 Honda Civic Hatch B18C1 swap
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:57 PM   #30
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
I had the same issue with my 2016 1SS. My car has no mods tho, but your air suspension most likely doesn't play a role in this issue. It's a starter issue. When the car is hot and you go to do an immediate restart after shutting down the starter has soaked up too much heat and the resistance is too high. I burnt up my starter one day from this, no fire, but definitely smoke coming from the area because it got overheated. Replaced under warranty. But it still has the issue because there is not enough heat shielding around the starter. There have been others on this forum with the same issue. Hopefully this helps some in resolving the issue, but it sounds like the dealer has latched onto your air suspension as the cause, so not sure how to get around that.
If there is a TSB for this, then he stands a chance. But without something like that, and considering that there is probably enough damage from the fire that diagnosing the starter as the culprit is unlikely, the aftermarket wiring job is enough to close the warranty case.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #31
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
That’s what I’ve been thinking the problem was even before all this happened. Thank you for chiming in.
Questions , maybe you know the answer, is the starter part of the bumper to bumper warranty or the drivestrain warranty?
Old 12-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #32
Red Leader

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdelgado92 View Post
That’s what I’ve been thinking the problem was even before all this happened. Thank you for chiming in.
Questions , maybe you know the answer, is the starter part of the bumper to bumper warranty or the drivestrain warranty?
I believe the starter is under drivetrain warranty, not 100% sure though.
Black Bow Ties
Black Metallic Rally Stripes
Black Wheels With Red Outline

TPW 12/14/15
1G1FE1R72G0133041 - 12/16 built
2/19/16 - It's mine!!

Previous rides:
2011 Camaro LS
2010 Camaro SS
1988 Honda Civic Hatch B18C1 swap
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #33
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
details will be important here. You gotta do an autopsy on this engine bay.
Where exactly are the singe marks from the fire. You said under the passenger side exhaust manifold. Whats down there? What initially caught on fire? Are their any electrical systems that go through that area?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #34
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
Next time, don't attempt to put the fire out yourself. I agree with the folks saying let insurance take care of fire damage.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #35
Jdelgado92

UPDATE:

finally got the car back from the dealership. After GM told me to kick rocks and to deal with the dealership, I authorized them to do a diagnostic for the $120. They told me that power was getting to the starter but the starter wasn’t turning or whatever the terminology is. They also told me that the battery had a bad cell and that it wasn’t holding charge.
My bumper to bumper warranty ran out back in February 2019 and apparently the starter isn’t covered under powerstrain so to replace the battery and the starter, the total was going to be $1,720.85 + tax. At this point, they still haven’t taken out the starter to check it for any burnt or melted parts, I had to authorize the $1720 for them to take it out and inspect it. Upon doing so, if they do see and fire signs, they would have to call GM again and start another case. I’ll be honest, after the whole 2 month of waiting to gm to get back to me, I was kind of hoping they didn’t find any fire signs. Anyways, I authorized the starter and battery replacement, with in 3 days they called me and told me my car was ready. They said they didn’t see any signs of there being a fire , that the started just shorted out and that’s where all the smoke came from. Then I asked them about the coolant leak, apparently the coolant was fine, no leaks, they just topped it off and the lady said it wasn’t even enough to charge me for that. I know I saw what looked like the light emitting from flames flickering and definitely smelled the burning smell. Truth be told I have no idea what it was then that I saw but whatever the case, my cars back and it seems to be running perfectly fine. It starts up instantly and the battery gauge stay steady right above 14 the whole time unlike before. Next I’m going to check the voltage from the air bags and make sure there isn’t any power draws that can give me problems again in the future even though I’m sure it wasn’t the bags that caused the problem. All in all thank you everyone for your advice, I had to bite the bullet and pay the $1861.00 after tax but all seems fine now.
For anyone that’s having start up problems like hesitation you crank especially after long or hard drives or their rpm gauge flickers randomly, please get it checked out because it can definitely lead to worse, it’s not either the battery going bad, the started getting heat soaked or both.
Again thanks everyone for the advice and I’m grinning like a little kid again after 3 whole months without my car!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #36
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Wow $1,800. Buy a starter and heat shield on Rock Auto for $130 and a battery can be had for less than 2 bills. Hate to depress you but you got screwed. glad you got it back though. Even if a couple wires burnt and needed replaced. Sure glad I can work on my own car.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #37
Jdelgado92

I know I did, but the way I see it, if something goes wrong regarding those 2 things they can’t say I messed it up replacing them myself. They were the last ones to touch it so I can at least fight that. The starter pretty much because I know the battery is easy to replace.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #38
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Glad you got your Camaro back and it’s running good again! Hopefully it’s good to go now and you can start enjoying it again!��