Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #43
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
I thought we were talking about calipers....

All besides the 2650 is bone stock down to the air filter.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #44
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Feel free to call me at the shop on Monday, and I can hook you up with everything you need to reach your goals and the best path to get there.

Ted.
Thank you, Ted. That’s very gracious of you. I will be honest with you that I am in the beginning stages of planning my moves, even though it’s something I’ve been semi researching since I got the car, & I would be wasting your valuable time at this point.

It sounds like you are just the resource I will need in the future when my warranty runs out. I’m hoping it will be a winter project for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Gtfoxy, I feel qualified to advise as I have already been down the road that you're about to start down. First off, I strongly recommend working with Ted. His customer service is second to none. It was a real pleasure working with Ted and his guys on my build.
If I were starting over, one thing I believe I would do is to look into trading my car for a ZL1 before getting started. Once you're North of 700hp, your existing wheels and tires will be totally useless, your brakes will be marginal, if you drag race any at all, your stock driveshaft and axles won't be happy for long. Around 700 up is also where the LT1 pistons and rods get a little iffy. You will also need ZL1 high and low side pumps and injectors. By the time you add all this up, you can probably pick up a used ZL1 with comparable miles to your existing car and it will already have all this stuff. If you're an auto guy, you will also get the A10. One more advantage is you can sell the stock blower for a couple of grand.
I did all of my own work and I would still start with a ZL1 if I had it to do over again. If you pay a shop, I don't think you will ever make the business case for starting with an SS.
You touch on some of the very thoughts I have had.

I actually looked into getting a ZL1 when I bought my SS. I did a little research into the differences, but unfortunately my budget just didn’t allow for the difference in price. (I’ll GBP over here. LOL)

I am more than capable of doing all the work & handling fine tuning myself. It’s going to be a bit of a learning curve, but I’m eager for the endeavor. I always have & it’s something I enjoy doing so I do have that going for me. My plan is to do things in steps, progressing as money permits. I have other hobbies that I spend a few thousand a year on so budgeting that in is going to be a bit of a balancing act.

That said I have been researching a turn key LT4, & you are right, it makes good sense to go that route as well.

This will not be a drag car. Been there, done that. I live over 2hrs from the closest track & I work 6days a week spring, summer & fall. There is a local test run a couple days a year at our local airport, but even getting off those Saturdays is not easy. This will be, for the most part, a personal challenge just to say I have XXX power. Stupid I know, but it’s what I want at this point in life. I’ve always had performance cars, with the most powerful being 600RWHP, I just want something more than that by a good margin, just in a streetable street car. No cages or anything like that. Just simple, refined power.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #45
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Thank you, Ted. That’s very gracious of you. I will be honest with you that I am in the beginning stages of planning my moves, even though it’s something I’ve been semi researching since I got the car, & I would be wasting your valuable time at this point.

It sounds like you are just the resource I will need in the future when my warranty runs out. I’m hoping it will be a winter project for next year.
Always happy to help guide you on a path of success and reality of what it cost to do it right.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote