Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack


Gen5DIY


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
drewspr00
 
drewspr00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 42
Looking for tire recommendations

I drive a 2016 Camaro 2SS MBM A8 Convertible. I am currently sitting on stock 20" wheels with (don't judge, this is what was on it when I bought it) 245/40r20 Cooper RS3's on the front and 275/35r20 Michelin AS3+ on the rear.

I just picked up a staggered set of 20x10/20x11 MRR M650 black wheels for a super great deal. So, I have 2 real questions. Recommended fitment for these wheels is 285/30 and 305/30. I have seen a few people run 285/35 and 305/35 on wheels this size and offset. Is all that is required for this setup just moving the wiring harness on the drivers rear wheel well? I just really don't like the gap between the tire and the fender and I would prefer to not lower my car.

My other big question is about what is most economical for me to do at this point. What I would love to do is buy 285/35 and 305/35 Michelin PS4S all the way around, but my old tires are pretty new (came with the car <10,000 miles ago) and I would like to reuse the Michelin AS3+ from my rear for my new fronts. I know I can't reuse the Cooper 245s from up front because they won't go on a 10 inch wheel. My current plan is to put my Michelin AS3+ (275/35) from the rear on the front, and purchase new Michelin PS4S (305/35) for the rear. On tiresize.com's tire comparison tool however, I am seeing that the difference in tire height is pretty big, 0.8" (27.6" vs 28.4"). Is this difference big enough that it will cause problems with traction control and stability control?

Thanks in advance!
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
drewspr00
 
drewspr00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 42
Also, I should note, my 2SS does not have MRC.
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
drewspr00
 
drewspr00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 42
My new wheels will be delivered today. I ended up purchasing 2 new Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar 3 305/30r20 for the rear, and I'm going to reuse my 275/35r20 AS3+ on the front. Hopefully that will all fit with no issues.
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
drewspr00
 
drewspr00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 42
Let me know if anyone thinks I might have problems with this setup.
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #5
JeromeS13

 
Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspr00 View Post
My new wheels will be delivered today. I ended up purchasing 2 new Goodyear Eagle F1 supercar 3 305/30r20 for the rear, and I'm going to reuse my 275/35r20 AS3+ on the front. Hopefully that will all fit with no issues.
I highly recommend NOT running that setup. The fronts are all season tires and the rears are high performance.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=136
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
drewspr00
 
drewspr00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I highly recommend NOT running that setup. The fronts are all season tires and the rears are high performance.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=136
I agree that I would rather run the same thing all the way around. With me having fairly new tires and changing wheels however, I want to be able to still use what I can up front if size is not an issue. The Michelin AS3+ is one of the best handling all seasons, so while I know I won't get as good performance, I think I will be ok to run them as a daily driver. I plan on running this way until those tires are worn, and then I will be putting Michelin PS4S all the way around.
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
JeromeS13

 
Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspr00 View Post
I agree that I would rather run the same thing all the way around. With me having fairly new tires and changing wheels however, I want to be able to still use what I can up front if size is not an issue. The Michelin AS3+ is one of the best handling all seasons, so while I know I won't get as good performance, I think I will be ok to run them as a daily driver. I plan on running this way until those tires are worn, and then I will be putting Michelin PS4S all the way around.
I hope you don't have ANY inclement weather this year... Having tires with better traction in the front is a horrible idea...
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
drewspr00
 
drewspr00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I hope you don't have ANY inclement weather this year... Having tires with better traction in the front is a horrible idea...
I won't, it will be better traction in the rear. My fronts are Michelin AS3+ and the rears are GY eagle f1 supercar.
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
arpad_m

 
arpad_m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 2SS A8
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspr00 View Post
I won't, it will be better traction in the rear. My fronts are Michelin AS3+ and the rears are GY eagle f1 supercar.
He meant rain showers. Your rear will be dancing around in inclement weather like cheerleaders on red bull.
__________________
2018 Camaro 2SS
G7E A8 NPP MRC NAV | Magnuson Heartbeat TVS2300 | Roto-Fab CAI | JMS PowerMAX voltage booster | LT5 TB | JRE custom tune
1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:03 AM   #10
drewspr00
 
drewspr00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
He meant rain showers. Your rear will be dancing around in inclement weather like cheerleaders on red bull.
Thanks, sorry I was confused about what he was saying. And I didn't know the F1s were known to be that bad in the rain. For the time being, I'm going to have to be super careful then with this setup, or leave the Camaro at home on rainy days. I appreciate both of you guys letting me know! Thank you!
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
cbr1100xx

 
cbr1100xx's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
dancing around in inclement weather like cheerleaders on red bull.
__________________
'19 1SS A10 SGM, Borla S-Type axle back.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
kropscamaro16


 
kropscamaro16's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: huntington beach
Posts: 4,682
michelin p4s ftw
__________________
2016 1SS NIGHTFALL GRAY METALLIC WITH NPP / YYZ SPRINGS/ AFE POWERSWAYBARS/ AFE POWER RACE INTAKE/EXHAUST AND HEADERS HRE FLOWFORM FF11 WHEELS / MICHELIN PS4S TIRES/BLACK BOWTIES/OEM SMOKED TAILS/GM FRONT LIP/DIODE DYNAMICS SMOKED SIDE MARKERS/LED LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS/OEM GM STRUT BAR/BODY MATCHES SS EMBLEMS/ CMS TUNE ON 91 OCTANE
kropscamaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #13
My First Camaro!
 
My First Camaro!'s Avatar
 
Drives: '18 5.7 RAM 1500 18' 1SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspr00 View Post
I drive a 2016 Camaro 2SS MBM A8 Convertible. I am currently sitting on stock 20" wheels with (don't judge, this is what was on it when I bought it) 245/40r20 Cooper RS3's on the front and 275/35r20 Michelin AS3+ on the rear.

I just picked up a staggered set of 20x10/20x11 MRR M650 black wheels for a super great deal. So, I have 2 real questions. Recommended fitment for these wheels is 285/30 and 305/30. I have seen a few people run 285/35 and 305/35 on wheels this size and offset. Is all that is required for this setup just moving the wiring harness on the drivers rear wheel well? I just really don't like the gap between the tire and the fender and I would prefer to not lower my car.

My other big question is about what is most economical for me to do at this point. What I would love to do is buy 285/35 and 305/35 Michelin PS4S all the way around, but my old tires are pretty new (came with the car <10,000 miles ago) and I would like to reuse the Michelin AS3+ from my rear for my new fronts. I know I can't reuse the Cooper 245s from up front because they won't go on a 10 inch wheel. My current plan is to put my Michelin AS3+ (275/35) from the rear on the front, and purchase new Michelin PS4S (305/35) for the rear. On tiresize.com's tire comparison tool however, I am seeing that the difference in tire height is pretty big, 0.8" (27.6" vs 28.4"). Is this difference big enough that it will cause problems with traction control and stability control?

Thanks in advance!
What do you plan to do with the car? If your not going to the track look at Nitto 555G2. Summer tire, nothing fancy, often more cost effective then other "name"brands.
__________________
JRE Tune
My First Camaro! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
TheRealJA105
 
TheRealJA105's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I hope you don't have ANY inclement weather this year... Having tires with better traction in the front is a horrible idea...
While I would never do what the OP is doing tire wise, I totally disagree with what you said. I'd much rather be able to steer and have the rear hydroplane first rather than have my front tires hydroplane and not be able to steer at all...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.