Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Preventative A8 flush?

When at the dealership getting my 2nd free oil change I asked the service advisor what she knew about the trans shudder and flush. She asked me if my car had the problem and I said the only thing I've noticed is a slight vibration in V4 mode at certain speeds. She said the trans shudder is very noticeable. She said as far as she knows they have done the flush on other vehicles but haven't had to on any Camaros. I asked if there is a check they do before doing the flush under warranty and her response was basically, if you complain about shudder, we will do the flush under warranty... so do want us to do it? I made an appointment next week to get it done while they are fixing my funky rear window.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone else had the dealer tell them they will do the flush under warranty without checking for the problem first?
2. I don't believe I have a problem transmission (8000 miles on it) so it a good idea to get the free flush to avoid a future problem?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I'd get the new fluid and flush, because chances are you'll have the issue at some level and at some point if you don't do it
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
The shudder TSB was updated to where the dealer doesn't have to check for the shudder anymore. You just have to say you have it and they'll do it. You can see it here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559735

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | TSP 1 7/8" Catted Headers | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTNLSS View Post
The shudder TSB was updated to where the dealer doesn't have to check for the shudder anymore. You just have to say you have it and they'll do it. You can see it here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559735
Thanks, I missed that one.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #5
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Who's your NJ dealer? Mine took care of this months ago when I asked about it, they knew the drill.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
17rsvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
Who's your NJ dealer? Mine took care of this months ago when I asked about it, they knew the drill.
I wasn't going to name the dealer in case they were supposed to check for the shudder before doing the flush, but that's not the case anymore. It's Schumacher in Denville
Old 09-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
17rsvert

So my car was at the dealer today, dropped it off last night. They fixed the rear window issue and the convertible quarter panel trim sliding cover. I assumed they were doing the flush, but when I called there around 2 PM to see if the work would be done by the end of the day, I was told that a GM engineer took my car for a test drive, couldn't find any problems, so the flush was not necessary. I was at work and didn't have time or enough info to argue my point, so I just picked up my car. What percentage of cars end up having the shudder issue? If I don't have a problem now, what are the odds of it showing up later? Is it worth calling back referencing the TSB and getting it flushed now? Should I wait until I need to go back for another issue?
Old 09-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
So my car was at the dealer today, dropped it off last night. They fixed the rear window issue and the convertible quarter panel trim sliding cover. I assumed they were doing the flush, but when I called there around 2 PM to see if the work would be done by the end of the day, I was told that a GM engineer took my car for a test drive, couldn't find any problems, so the flush was not necessary. I was at work and didn't have time or enough info to argue my point, so I just picked up my car. What percentage of cars end up having the shudder issue? If I don't have a problem now, what are the odds of it showing up later? Is it worth calling back referencing the TSB and getting it flushed now? Should I wait until I need to go back for another issue?
The shudder is non-preventable. If you have the A8 you WILL experience the shudder. Some people get it earlier than others. Thing I don’t understand is the techs don’t need to diagnose the shudder anymore. What TSB did they perform on your car?

EDIT: I’ve linked the current TSB dealers need to perform if you have the shudder. It says that diagnosing is not required if vehicle is built prior to the production dates listed on the chart. (TSB 18-NA-355) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63890-9999.pdf

Last edited by Azerlazer26; 09-25-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #9
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I wasn't going to name the dealer in case they were supposed to check for the shudder before doing the flush, but that's not the case anymore. It's Schumacher in Denville
They're pretty good there. If you want to try another dealer that may do the flush under the TSB try McGuire in Newton. I bought in Denville but had the flush done in Newton. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
The new TSB says that they do not have to replicate the issue to flush/fill the A8 fluid, supposed to do it without proof.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
The shudder is non-preventable. If you have the A8 you WILL experience the shudder. Some people get it earlier than others. Thing I don’t understand is the techs don’t need to diagnose the shudder anymore. What TSB did they perform on your car?

EDIT: I’ve linked the current TSB dealers need to perform if you have the shudder. It says that diagnosing is not required if vehicle is built prior to the production dates listed on the chart. (TSB 18-NA-355) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63890-9999.pdf
Can we really say that?