Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Advice for self install of Supercharger

Hi all!

I am seriously thinking of a near future installation of the following Supercharger:

2010-2014 Camaro V8 SLP Supercharger Package - Stage 1 575HP

I've looked at the instructions about a dozen times and I can't find any reason (other than self-confidence) that I can't install this myself. I have all of the tools, I have the garage space and I know my way around a motor.

That said, my biggest areas of uncertainty are:

1. Is this a good Supercharger?
2. I have SLP long tube headers, hi-flow cats, and SLP exhaust back to the Loudmouth II's. Combined with a custom (Westers) tune. Will I be able to use the tune handset provided with the kit to upload my current tune (Westers)?

Thanks for any feedback!!!
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I think SLP TVS 2300 is the easiest to install
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
No you cannot use the same tune, and shouldn't use the tune it comes with since you have other mods. You will need a new custom tune.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
TOXIC SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
so for adding a supercharger do you recommend a blower cam or other Hp cam?
TOXIC SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Always get a custom cam spec'd to your needs/wants/application. No reason to run an off the shelf cam these days.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
It's all about the tune. The mechanical part is not that hard. But how will you get it to the tuner? I did my own but I'd consider having the the tuner install if I had it to do again. They may have some other suggestions also.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsdnfam View Post
Hi all!

I am seriously thinking of a near future installation of the following Supercharger:

I've looked at the instructions about a dozen times and I can't find any reason (other than self-confidence) that I can't install this myself. I have all of the tools, I have the garage space and I know my way around a motor.

2. I have SLP long tube headers, hi-flow cats, and SLP exhaust back to the Loudmouth II's. Combined with a custom (Westers) tune. Will I be able to use the tune handset provided with the kit to upload my current tune (Westers)?

I basically had your same setup prior to installing my SLP supercharger. Mine was not the new SLP blower, it was the jackshaft/Maggy version. It was a fun project for me. I just took my time, went slow, and did a little bit each night. If your not afraid to wrench on a car it's not that really a big job. The instructions make it pretty easy. As for the tune, you will be in the same boat I was. Due to my headers and CAI I was not able to utilize the hand held tuner the way it came. I already had a custom tune, so I had my tuner dyno tune my car with the blower on. It will definitely make your car feel completely different. This past week I have been driving a company car which happens to be a stock Camaro SS M6. I can't believe how different my car feels when I go back to a stock Camaro SS. It is a night and day difference to the point the other one just feels like a slow slug. You would not be disappointed in the performance gains.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
don't be intimidated about the install, as it is straight forward. Some parts of the install might be tedious, but it is definitely not technically difficult. As far as the tune goes, if the SLP kit comes with a handheld tuner, you WILL be able to run that long enough to get the car to a custom tuner. The "canned" tune is 50-state legal, or at least 49, therefore it will be a tad on the fat side (rich). That is what will allow you to safely run the car until you get it tuned. I'm not saying take it to the track, just drive it sensibly until you get it tuned for your combination/location.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
Midnite Magic

Drives: 2013 ZL1
SLP, Magnacharger and Edelbrock E-Force are all great positive displacement blowers based on the tried and true Eaton TVS2300 rotors. I say pick the one that looks the best to you and that you can get the cheapest. They will all make great power with the 3.8" that most come with and if you do a ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM along with a good tune you can run 8 psi instead of 6 and really kick it up a notch. I would also budget for a CAI intake designed for the blower because the OEM box is a restriction
Midnite Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsdnfam View Post
Hi all!

Small world but I'm down by Red Wing, MN and im loving my Magnacharged Synergy Green Camaro. I'd be happy to meet up and answer any questions. Actually going to Rock Falls (drag racing) this Saturday morning if you wanna tag along. The blower really woke the car up. Hardly even feels heavy anymore.

-John
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #11
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
The SLP package is a good one, I took my time and had fun. As was posted with your mods get a custom tune.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #12
Les7311

Drives: 2017 Zl1 (M6)
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
Good luck on your install. ..Am in the same mindset to install one ..post pics of the surgery when you cross that bridge. .
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I installed my E-Force Edelbrock S/C myself. I already had Kooks LT headers,hi-flow cats and a dyno tune. I used the hand tuner sent with the kit. I drove it easy till I had it dyno tuned 3 weeks later. It was running very lean, but the my tuner got it fixed and installed a safe tune. Time consuming job, but not difficult if you take your time. The part that scared me the most was drilling the crank. See other mods in sig.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
So thanks for all of the feedback! I would like clarification though on the tune. As I understand it, the tuner that is included with the SLP SC would NOT be able to upload my modified tune from my Camaro and SLP would NOT have the ability to modify my customer tune if it was sent to them?

Thanks!
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote