Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-12-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
No kidding...

Trim levels of 1LT, 2LT, and 3LT seem reasonably consistent across many models. But, then there's the LT1 trim which happens to come with the LT1 engine. And, of course, the LT1 engine is in the 1SS and 2SS models.

Not to stop there, though, the LT1 engine is actually in something like its fourth or fifth generation having been used as far back as 1970 and was even in a Corvette at one point. It has also been of varying displacements as well with the current one being 6.2L but putting out quite a bit more power than the same engine in the Gen5 Camaro.

It's pretty easy to get lost in all of the incarnations of the combination of the number '1' and the letters 'LT'.
And in the Z28. Of course, detuned to 360HP with the air intake. Couldn't offend the Corvette crowd by having same HP!

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:32 AM   #16
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
No kidding...

Trim levels of 1LT, 2LT, and 3LT seem reasonably consistent across many models. But, then there's the LT1 trim which happens to come with the LT1 engine. And, of course, the LT1 engine is in the 1SS and 2SS models.

Not to stop there, though, the LT1 engine is actually in something like its fourth or fifth generation having been used as far back as 1970 and was even in a Corvette at one point. It has also been of varying displacements as well with the current one being 6.2L but putting out quite a bit more power than the same engine in the Gen5 Camaro.

It's pretty easy to get lost in all of the incarnations of the combination of the number '1' and the letters 'LT'.
Going back to the early muscle car era of the late 60s, I think it has something to do with how conservative and stodgey GM's corporate management was (and maybe still is today). Ford had the "Boss 302" and the "Mach 1 Track Pack", MOPAR used the Roadrunner and Bumble Bee and had colors like "Plum Crazy" and today have the "Hellcat" and "Demon".

I bet John DeLorean had some pretty wild names he wanted to call various option and performance packages for the GTO but corporate put those down and simply used the order codes as the performance designations. Hence you have WS6 for the ram air that dates all the way back to 1968 and was used on every Trans Am with Ram Air until 2002. The powers that be wanted to present a more dignified, mature, professional appearance as opposed to the cartoons at Chrysler or the "caveman power" at Ford, and it became standard operating procedure at GM that continues today.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:41 AM   #17
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
I would say that what we have now is the 3rd iteration of an 'LT1' engine:
Second-gen Camaro Z28
Fourth-gen Camaro Z28
Sixth-gen Camaro SS
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #18
ModernCamaroZ28Fan
LT1_Radenso

Drives: a 2 spd water bottle
They should of called the LT1 Trim an "LX" or just "Sport". Literally anything else would've worked, but they wanted to put the engine codename on it for badge sake.

The funny thing is that salespeople mistake LT1s for 1LTs AND "SSes".
LT1 is also tossed around for 4th gen, or 6 gen modders. Makes the car hard to distinguish by name.

ModernCamaroZ28Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #19
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I have a friend in FL that has 5th gen and he still calls it SS2 instead of 2SS, been that way for 10 years, I just nod and smile and say ok. So it is just the way some peeps are...

Last edited by nancygrl; 10-14-2020 at 06:49 PM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #20
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Both of my C6's were 1 LT's base cars. But i can see how it all can get twisted around.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #21
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCamaroZ28Fan View Post
They should of called the LT1 Trim an "LX" or just "Sport". Literally anything else would've worked, but they wanted to put the engine codename on it for badge sake.

The funny thing is that salespeople mistake LT1s for 1LTs AND "SSes".
LT1 is also tossed around for 4th gen, or 6 gen modders. Makes the car hard to distinguish by name.
Then they would get it mixed up with a fox body mustang, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Then they would get it mixed up with a fox body mustang, lol.
Agreed.

What I think is really the icing on the cake here is that Chevy refers to ALL variations of the *LT as simply LT much like it's simply an "SS" whether 1SS or 2SS.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #23
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
Just glad i don't have the LT1 that came in a 1996 Z28 i bought in 2005.

Car looked like new inside and out with a body kit and after market wheels. But that LT1 leaked oil in 5 diff places. I had plans to do a LS2 swap at the time.
Yes,an engineering nightmare and the lowest point of the LT1 name. I had two of them. The distributor under the waterpump? 3 days to change all the plugs? Oil leaks?

But it sounded great!

The current LT1 is a great engine. And glad my Camaro is named after it. Brilliant and confusing.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #24
TorontoLT1

Drives: 2020 LT1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yes,an engineering nightmare and the lowest point of the LT1 name. I had two of them. The distributor under the waterpump? 3 days to change all the plugs? Oil leaks?

But it sounded great!

The current LT1 is a great engine. And glad my Camaro is named after it. Brilliant and confusing.
I ordered a new LT1 in Red Hot about two weeks before the Covid shutdown and the after waiting a couple of months the dealer told me that the order was cancelled by GM as they would not build the car ? At the time the salesman did not even know about the LT1 and was pushing the SS. Conflicting stories about the cancellation led to another dealer speculating that the sales manager may have made a mistake and ordered a 1LT . I drive by the dealership often and will not be surprised to see a Red 1LT on the lot !
TorontoLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #25
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The distributor under the waterpump?
Ah yes the optispark distributor. Whoever thought of that design and location should be forced to listen to Tiny Tim sing Tiptoe Through The Tulips for 10 hours straight locked in a room.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #26
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Ah yes the optispark distributor. Whoever thought of that design and location should be forced to listen to Tiny Tim sing Tiptoe Through The Tulips for 10 hours straight locked in a room.
Harsh, but I’ll allow it.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #27
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve65 View Post
back in the family. SOLD wife's 2013 SS2 couple years . REGRETTED every since. ..love the new car. Shadow grey color....was able to use the GM employer pricing...ill have many questions to come

Why didn't just get an Lt4?
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #28
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
No kidding...

They use LT because they ran out of S's on the LS engines. I hear the 7th Gen will come with the all New LU1 engines!
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote