Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Explain differences with driving modes?

Does anyone have a solid understanding of the changes with our cars when changing the driving modes using the selector button by the shifter? The owners manual is not clear enough to me.
Specifically:

Scenario #1: let’s say you are in sport mode. What is the difference if you ho,d down the stabilitrak button for five seconds to turn everything off Vs. double tapping and see the message “competitive mode enabled”?

Scenario #2: you now enter TRACK mode. Again, you hold button for five seconds to turn everything off. How is this different than doing the same thing like you just did in SPORT mode in scenario #1? (The one thing I do understand is when You then double tap the stabilitrak button and see the approx. five different scenarios that progressively have the car reduce the amount of assistance to you]

Anyone got this mastered? Speak!
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Holding the button down in either of those modes turn off all nannies (except torque management to “protect” the drivetrain).

The competitive modes reached by double tapping are each explained in the manual, and essentially the same in sport and track.

The steering and suspension will be stiffer in Track vs sport. Likely some NPP differences if your car has that as well. Sport and track also have slightly different throttle maps from what I understand.....track being softer power on initial WOT to maintain grip during corner exit etc.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
The traction control button "5-7 second" hold turns off traction control and Stabilitrak. Competitive mode retains Stabilitrak with traction control off.

In track mode you can enter "PTM modes" with a double press of the traction control button. Then, choose what intervention level you require with the mode switch. The PTM modes are discussed in the owners manual.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
The traction control button "5-7 second" hold turns off traction control and Stabilitrak. Competitive mode retains Stabilitrak with traction control off.

In track mode you can enter "PTM modes" with a double press of the traction control button. Then, choose what intervention level you require with the mode switch. The PTM modes are discussed in the owners manual.
Thx. Bummer about the torque control not able to on be turned off.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:30 AM   #5
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost or bust View Post
Thx. Bummer about the torque control not able to on be turned off.
Guys i dont know about your car but with mine...the double tap trac control/stabilitrac feature from SPORT mode is vastly different then when you do it out of Track. Im not talking about any of the five track modes...wet/dry/sport1/sport2/race. If you double tap the off button from SPORT you enter Competitive Drive Mode. There are NO nannies or interference or restrictions in this mode! I can't stress this enough. A couple of other members were talking about this and i didn't believe them but it is true....totally different than fromTrack mode. If i had radials or "enough"tire this is the mode id choose for straight line speed! If i stomp on the gas i just spin....in circles. No power cutting or ttraction control...just pure unbridled power! Ive just recently been learning to feather the throttle for smooth launches...ran a 3.4 60 for the first time. Also have help from TM TB and K&N...but try the double tap outa SPORT!
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
SPORT + Competitive = all throttle, no traction aka donut mode aka destroy the tires mode aka kill yourself mode.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #7
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
As long as you're spinning the drivetrain doesn't have a lot of torque on it. You need good traction to feel torque management reduce the engine power.

And for whatever reason, the M6 cars seem to be much more restricted than the A10s.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Guys i dont know about your car but with mine...the double tap trac control/stabilitrac feature from SPORT mode is vastly different then when you do it out of Track. Im not talking about any of the five track modes...wet/dry/sport1/sport2/race. If you double tap the off button from SPORT you enter Competitive Drive Mode. There are NO nannies or interference or restrictions in this mode! I can't stress this enough. A couple of other members were talking about this and i didn't believe them but it is true....totally different than fromTrack mode. If i had radials or "enough"tire this is the mode id choose for straight line speed! If i stomp on the gas i just spin....in circles. No power cutting or ttraction control...just pure unbridled power! Ive just recently been learning to feather the throttle for smooth launches...ran a 3.4 60 for the first time. Also have help from TM TB and K&N...but try the double tap outa SPORT!
Wait- I know about this, but are you saying no torque management in this mode? As like NO Nannies at all? Wouldn’t this be the the resolution we Area looking for?

Also, what the heck is the difference between CDM and holding down for 5 seconds?
Old 01-28-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Boo

Quote:
Wait- I know about this, but are you saying no torque management in this mode? As like NO Nannies at all? Wouldn’t this be the the resolution we Area looking for?

Also, what the heck is the difference between CDM and holding down for 5 seconds?
I think the previous poster may be right....A10 might work better in this mode. Look im not suggesting that you start flooring it in CDM out of Sport. Yes you will wreck! I avoided it until just the other day when i did a soft launch smoothly pressing the gas until wot without spinning. It was beautiful but i almost spun out 2 or 3 times prior. My feeling is that there is NO traction management at all and i believe it gives you just as much open throttle as Track Race. But idk. I only know my fastest times have now come in this mode...it works but be careful.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Boo

Quote:

Holding the trac off button down or double tapping is the same but the difference is doing it out of SPORT or Track...track is for courses not the strip. I think SPORT was designed for the strip.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
Boo

Quote:

One final thought or clarification....if i am in Track...Race or Sport 2 which are supposed to be the least restrictive and i go WOT...the car will bogg from the very start and even shifting into 2 or will cut power if there is any wheel slip...OK BUT in the SPORT CDM (double tap turn off or hold down button) there is NO interference in anyway with bogg power cut....tires just spin...so if you can get your launch just right....you are FLYN...im 80lbs over weight (but fixn that) and im running 3.4 -60 7.0-100 and a 11.0- 1/4mile.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Well. I turned off the nannies once....
..and it's the last time.
The car was all over the place when I put the pedal down.
Absolutely not safe to do when driving on the street.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #13
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Ya man i wouldn't be wipping around turns or in traffic. Im on a private road way when im doing my runs
Old 01-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #14
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Agreed. I'd kill myself on the street doing that. I leave the nannies on.

I remember back in the day Owen over a ARD took me for a ride in his 900 hp Zl1. He turned everything off. He then proceeded to turn out of his shop onto a good mile long straight. He literally had it sideways the whole time up to 120 mph damn nearly pulling a Paul Walker with me in the car. Dude had it under control the whole time.

We got back to the shop and I said, dude, wtf was that? He just laughed. I went home knowing I was a bitch of a driver. No way could I of pulled that off. So yea, anytime I get squirly, I lay off the gas. You pro's out there, you'll stay in the gas and keep it sideways all the while accelerating. I give you props for having the skills to do that.

Tags
bog, stabilitrak, tcs, traction control