Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #15
d15b7

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1 LE
oh and to gtfoxy I'm totally down to answer any questions and help out any way I can re:track events. especially for novices it can be a little intimidating if you don't have anyone to help guide you along. I've been doing track events since 1994 and instructing since 1998 and racing since 2000 every year without a break so I have miles and miles under my belt!

just a warning to you - to many, once you start doing this, any other hobby you have is like out the window and bye bye no more lol! you get a taste of the track and it's like doing drugs!
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #16
EvilZL

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by d15b7 View Post
oh and to gtfoxy I'm totally down to answer any questions and help out any way I can re:track events. especially for novices it can be a little intimidating if you don't have anyone to help guide you along. I've been doing track events since 1994 and instructing since 1998 and racing since 2000 every year without a break so I have miles and miles under my belt!

just a warning to you - to many, once you start doing this, any other hobby you have is like out the window and bye bye no more lol! you get a taste of the track and it's like doing drugs!
Dude!! that's awesome!! good to have ya here!!
EvilZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #17
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
congrats !!! the tail lights actually look good with that color !!

where in NJ did you get it?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #18
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Congrats, it sounds like you’re planning to track your ZLE. Looking forward to seeing some ZLE lap times from a skilled race car driver.

After 2 years of tracking mine I can say the one mod every ZLE track enthusiast needs to consider are forged 18 inch wheels to save some money with Pirelli take-off slicks. GY SC3R are amazing track tires for the ZLE, but they are only great for ~2 days and at that size/width they are pricey.

I assume as a racer you have a good tire hook-up.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #19
d15b7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
congrats !!! the tail lights actually look good with that color !!

where in NJ did you get it?
I got it from a small exotic/performance dealership called Carnelian Motors in West Berlin NJ. the owner, Gary, treated me so well and was so helpful - it was the single easiest/nicest dealership experience I've ever had. (and I must have bought at least 20 cars by now from dealerships in the last 30 yrs).
Old 03-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #20
d15b7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Congrats, it sounds like you’re planning to track your ZLE. Looking forward to seeing some ZLE lap times from a skilled race car driver.

After 2 years of tracking mine I can say the one mod every ZLE track enthusiast needs to consider are forged 18 inch wheels to save some money with Pirelli take-off slicks. GY SC3R are amazing track tires for the ZLE, but they are only great for ~2 days and at that size/width they are pricey.

I assume as a racer you have a good tire hook-up.
I'm so torn about taking this to the track right away - this car is legit 'better' than new; the dealer that owned it since new had it paint corrected and ceramic coated immediately and there's not a mark on it. anywhere! it's so clean it'll make you cry. I might not track it for a little bit, but damn I'd like to see what she'd do at VIR or Watkins Glen. you guys would laugh if I told you what my 'fast' racecar is currently (I've owned it since 1997 and have been racing it continuously in door to door sprint races, and time attacks and even hill climbs). to date it's best laptime at VIR full course is a 2:01.x (and I was having issues that day with extreme hot weather; she's got a 1:58.x in her I believe).

and oh yesss - boy do I know about the expense of tires! If I go to a big event, I have to have fresh rubber to compete against the other guys. I use a Tire guy called Phil's Tires up in PA. he has incredibly good service and good pricing too. when I'm winning and doing well, typically the tire contingency winnings pay for my tires. if I'm on a bad streak, then it's pay up haha!

Question - will an 18" rim fit over those massive front brakes? it looks to me like the 19" rim clears but not with a ton of extra space....
Old 03-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #21
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I'm so torn about taking this to the track right away - this car is legit 'better' than new; the dealer that owned it since new had it paint corrected and ceramic coated immediately and there's not a mark on it. anywhere! it's so clean it'll make you cry. I might not track it for a little bit, but damn I'd like to see what she'd do at VIR or Watkins Glen. you guys would laugh if I told you what my 'fast' racecar is currently (I've owned it since 1997 and have been racing it continuously in door to door sprint races, and time attacks and even hill climbs). to date it's best laptime at VIR full course is a 2:01.x (and I was having issues that day with extreme hot weather; she's got a 1:58.x in her I believe).

and oh yesss - boy do I know about the expense of tires! If I go to a big event, I have to have fresh rubber to compete against the other guys. I use a Tire guy called Phil's Tires up in PA. he has incredibly good service and good pricing too. when I'm winning and doing well, typically the tire contingency winnings pay for my tires. if I'm on a bad streak, then it's pay up haha!

Question - will an 18" rim fit over those massive front brakes? it looks to me like the 19" rim clears but not with a ton of extra space....
Yes my 18” Signature SV501s fit but it is close so you get some scratching of caliper body and barrel with gravel in barrel. Several others run BC Forged wheels in 18x11 and 12.

If you track it you’ll need to get the front clip wrapped in PPF, and the roof is a good idea too. I was getting some gravel chips along the front of roof including the edge right behind top of windshield so I use a sheet of Xpel tracwrap in 12” width.

Windshield is another story, I’m on my 2nd one and it would be 3 if I didn’t catch 2 small cracks early after last track weekend.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #22
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
thanks guys! ya i've seen a few ZLE's at track events but none have ever been this green color; i fell in love with it instantly when i saw it! and LOL no way I'd ever have posted up without some pics!!! LOL!!!

and ya on the way home I let 'er eat a few times -- no way I couldn't do that, right?!?!? I feel like this is a car who might make me lose my license hahahhahaha!
I ordered my Shadow Gray Metallic 2020 2SS in Nov 2019, but a few days before delivery in Jan 2020 my wife and daughters had me seriously considering cancelling my order and reordering in Rally Green Metallic! The ONE thing that stopped me is my Mom's 1972 Caprice Classic that was a very similar green, every time I saw one I remembered that car, I just didn't want a "'72 Caprice"... I didn't order a 1LE, but if I had, I think I certainly would have ordered Rally Green Metallic as the black accents really make this car stand out... And Holy Crap, a ZLE in Rally Green Metallic, that looks AWESOME!!!

Get some Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers and some Phastek Hero Smoked Rear Reflectors and that think will be a real head turner!!! $250 and you'll "smoke out" the rest of the lights GM failed to do...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #23
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
hey fellas! I'm so glad to meet all of you guys! I just picked up my 2020 ZL1 1LE 6sp manual Rally Green w/1800 miles on it and drove it back home. wow what a insane racecar for the street!!! this is the stiffest bone stock production car I've ever driven; it's amazing to me that GM had the balls to build an all out car like this. the power is insane; the brakes are amazing; the chassis is incredible. she's a bad bad bad girl!!! I think I'm in love haha!

I'm a certified instructor for PCA and BMW CCA and NASA and HOD and many others, plus hold racing licenses with SCCA and NASA and VRG. I've got two strictly race cars for track use plus drive some cars for other teams, but this new car is all MINE haha! I've never seen another in this color; it looks stunning in the sun as you walk around it, and I fell in love with it the instant I saw the car. man I'm pumped to own this car!!

a couple quick pics I snapped before I put it down in the garage next to my other baby; a 1990 C4 ZR-1 black/black bone stock with 9700 original miles on her. I hope they make friends tonight down there lol!

Congratulations! Gorgeous car and colour!
Old 03-13-2021, 10:57 PM   #24
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
I got it from a small exotic/performance dealership called Carnelian Motors in West Berlin NJ. the owner, Gary, treated me so well and was so helpful - it was the single easiest/nicest dealership experience I've ever had. (and I must have bought at least 20 cars by now from dealerships in the last 30 yrs).
Dude, you literally bought the car the day before I was going to. I called Carnelian to buy the car and they said they had just sold it! You are much more skilled than I am as a driver so I'm sure it's going to a better home, but man oh man I was bummed! I ended up buying an 1100 mile White ZLE.......congrats on the car!
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:57 PM   #25
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Wow. Congratulations. Great colour. You worded it right when you said about GM having the balls to sell a car like this. The car is incredible in my eyes for the money you spend.
1990 C4 ZR1 roommate. Interesting. I’ve worked on some of those back in my GM employment days. I actually rebuilt an LT5 in that time. Cool engine and very sophisticated at the time. They are rare too.
Sorry, but I have a feeling the ZLE will be the Alpha of that garage.
Cheers my friend and congratulations on your new beauty.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #26
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I would also highly recommend some PPF on the body to keep the paint chips away. The massive shoes like to throw the gravel everywhere.
And rock guards too. They definitely help.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:26 AM   #27
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Congrats, enjoy!
Old 03-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Congrats!!! I'm not a big green-person, but GM did a great job, and your car looks awesome.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote