Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #15

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
I know there's a huge fine for not running any Cats on the car, but does anyone know exactly how much each fine is? Just so I can mentally prepare myself for the fine I can potentially get

Also, anyone ever been pulled over because of suspicion of not running a cat?
You'll need to register the car first....Here's a thread with perhaps some helpful info...
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492827

If you get "fined" for missing cats, you will have to put them back on in order to take care of any citation....

...Good luck...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Can someone explain the car inspection process to me. I might be moving to the San Fran area and my 1LE has the secondary cats removed. I have them and can weld them back on, but I'm just looking for information to consider when we make our decision.
See above...Good luck.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #17
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
See above...Good luck.
You're saying that when I go to register my car they will put it up on a lift and look under it? If they don't lift the car they won't be able to see my cat delete pipes. It's no big deal, I will weld my cats back on if necessary but I'm curious how all these other highly modified cars are rolling around in California without cats. Specifically a well known white pro charged SS on a certain users youtube channel.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
You're saying that when I go to register my car they will put it up on a lift and look under it? If they don't lift the car they won't be able to see my cat delete pipes. It's no big deal, I will weld my cats back on if necessary but I'm curious how all these other highly modified cars are rolling around in California without cats. Specifically a well known white pro charged SS on a certain users youtube channel.
I wouldn't be surprised if they did....Depends on those smog tags, etc....If it's different than California emissions car you might have to pass a visual and tail-pipe inspection and be up to snuff for the non-California emissions, which would likely include the cats it came with....You should check with the CA dmv ahead of time to see what you need to do, or what they will need to do in order to re-register it in CA....

As far as the other modified cars go, they are just chancing it and haven't been caught yet, or they have been caught and are just re-doing their set-up as needed.....If they want to play the cat and mouse game, that's their option, but it can get pricey....Also, new CA cars do not have to be smog checked for six years....Hope this helps...
Old 07-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #19

P.S..just noticed your car is a 2017....odds are it is already equipped with Ca emissions....but you should make sure....If it has less than 7500 miles on it, ca will consider it a new car and it will be charged the sales tax and registration fees as if it were new....If more than 7500 miles you will be ok....Being that new, and if CA emissions equipped, not sure if you will need a smog check/inspection to re-register....Check with the dmv first....Again good luck...
Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #20
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
P.S..just noticed your car is a 2017....odds are it is already equipped with Ca emissions....but you should make sure....If it has less than 7500 miles on it, ca will consider it a new car and it will be charged the sales tax and registration fees as if it were new....If more than 7500 miles you will be ok....Being that new, and if CA emissions equipped, not sure if you will need a smog check/inspection to re-register....Check with the dmv first....Again good luck...
any car registering that was sold out of state will get visually inspected and require smog testing. There's no 5 years bypass to smog testing like you'd get if you purchased the new car in california.

The car wont be put on a lift (when inspected during registration), but they do use poles with mirrors and they can see everything and know exactly what to look for.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #21
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
any car registering that was sold out of state will get visually inspected and require smog testing. There's no 5 years bypass to smog testing like you'd get if you purchased the new car in california.

The car wont be put on a lift (when inspected during registration), but they do use poles with mirrors and they can see everything and know exactly what to look for.
the smog check guy will also do visual inspection, (including looking under the car) to see that it is all stock...
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:43 AM   #22
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
There is no smog check visual or otherwise the first several years on a new car, so alot of people with the funds just go all out on their cars. When that registration renewal with a smog check requirement finally comes, you will start to find these heavily modified cars for sale...craiglist, ebay, etc....funny, like clock-work because they know it will never pass a visual and most likely not the standard smog check either. For those few that actually want to keep their car, putting everything mostly to stock is the job every other year since smog checks are not every 12 months, they are every 24 months...then after you pass, modify your car back to what you like until the next check

This was the routine when I was younger...just too old and too busy to play that game anymore...just bought a ZL1 with some boltons and maybe some "unseen" mods down the road
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #23
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
There is no smog check visual or otherwise the first several years on a new car, so alot of people with the funds just go all out on their cars. When that registration renewal with a smog check requirement finally comes, you will start to find these heavily modified cars for sale...craiglist, ebay, etc....funny, like clock-work because they know it will never pass a visual and most likely not the standard smog check either. For those few that actually want to keep their car, putting everything mostly to stock is the job every other year since smog checks are not every 12 months, they are every 24 months...then after you pass, modify your car back to what you like until the next check

This was the routine when I was younger...just too old and too busy to play that game anymore...just bought a ZL1 with some boltons and maybe some "unseen" mods down the road
Yeah, no more high flows or long tubies for me either. A simple swap of the secondary cats if you go that route is easy enough to put back in when the time comes. Since the gains for long tubes aren't that great even w/ a tune if you're not adding big power mods, really took the motivation to get them away anyhow.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #24
Concillian

Drives: SS1LE
Quote:
If you need a SMOG inspection, they have a checklist of items to visually check for each make / model. This includes cat locations as well as any other emissions equipment like cold start air pumps, tumble valves, etc... Last time I had a SMOG for one of my commuter cars they didn't use a lift, but they did use an extend-a-stick with a mirror on it and a light under the car to check for cats.

The stations get measured against averages for the area, and stations which deviate too much from the averages get negative penalties from the state, so you will not find many willing to work with you unless you know someone. Also, because of this, they aren't likely to leave out any items on the list. I don't expect them to lift the car, but they'll have a way of seeing under the car and around corners (mirror on a stick or camera on a stick.)

CA law requires cats to be factory cats, but some places (not many) will overlook aftermarket cats. I know a local shop who would weld on factory heatshielding over stainless exhausts to make it look like you had a stock exhaust / cats, for example, so there are creative ways around the rules.

I don't think you'll need a visual inspection though. Cars should be exempt 6 years from MY date. My 02 WRX, for example was purchased in March 01, but was exempt for seven years (March 08 was first SMOG) because the manufacturer released the 02 model year cars so early. After that initial grace period, visual inspection is every other year.

As for how people handle highly modified vehicles, well you know the right people and have money... For milder enthusiasts, you keep your stock exhaust and intake and every couple years you spend an entire day swapping, going to the SMOG place and then swapping back.

I have done both of those options. Eventually my WRX had no stock parts at all. Swapped engine / tranny / ECU, big turbo, whole fuel system, surge tank, E85, struts, track brakes, whole nine. Only thing stock on that car was the steering rack and the rear knuckles. Knew someone who I'd pay 4 bills to to "get smogged" from my living room. Now though, I don't really want to deal with all that and for the Camaro will only do mods that won't be inspected (cams, for example, as long as they don't throw a code are not something they can look at) or mods that have CARB exemption stickers.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #25
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Quote:
I might be moving to the San Fran area
Just don't.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #26
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Just have to find the right smog guy that will accept a few Ben Franklins to help it pass. lol
PackersFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #27
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
Just have to find the right smog guy that will accept a few Ben Franklins to help it pass. lol
Luckily I found one that takes a couple Andrew Jackson's and not Franklins lol
SSDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #28
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Ahhh the age old question.

Planning on modding your car? Move out of this shithole state. They hate us and all it takes is one cop having a bad day to completely ruin yours. I've heard form some people that they have routes to avoiding the ref? I personally lost my 3v turbo mustang to this about a decade ago. I didn't have resources and its not like you can see your "smog fairy" to satisfy your ticket. This goes to a state ref. State ref inspects many different things past your cats to make sure nothing is changed. Was no fun. But here I am again, procharger D1 and test pipes. I guess some people just don't learn loll.
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote