#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Interesting clarifications on Demon #'s

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...cid=spartandhp

Mod...please move to appropriate section. Not sure where to post this.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...cid=spartandhp

Mod...please move to appropriate section. Not sure where to post this.
You bet. "other car" is good.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It looks like the Demon may turn out to be more of a novelty item than an actual drag-car that sees a lot of low ETs....Personally I don't think the marketing of this car was meant for any actual drag racers....Instead it's a bragging tool for the street-race, smoke show, social-media posers...

I can't blame Dodge for publicizing the lowest ET that their engineers could get. It is quite an accomplishment in it's own right....But anyone who spends the top dollar for this Demon should know what it's all about and be able to separate the hype from reality.

The Demon's street/track combo doesn't seem to quite be the same as what Camaro offers....Camaro you get the best of both....Demon seems like it can only be one or the other....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
There isn't anything new in this.

Dodge openly said that on the "normal stock" tires, IE the 315 Nitto's on all 4 corners and on 91 octane fuel/basic PCM it would "only" to a 9.9X @13X MPH. They also explicitly listed what was needed to get the 9.65 time.

All they're doing is taking the same facts that Dodge was upfront about, putting a negative spin on it, and vomiting it out like it's super detective work by insiders.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Fake news
Old 04-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
It looks like the Demon may turn out to be more of a novelty item than an actual drag-car that sees a lot of low ETs....Personally I don't think the marketing of this car was meant for any actual drag racers....Instead it's a bragging tool for the street-race, smoke show, social-media posers...

I can't blame Dodge for publicizing the lowest ET that their engineers could get. It is quite an accomplishment in it's own right....But anyone who spends the top dollar for this Demon should know what it's all about and be able to separate the hype from reality.

The Demon's street/track combo doesn't seem to quite be the same as what Camaro offers....Camaro you get the best of both....Demon seems like it can only be one or the other....
My eyebrow goes up at the seats delete, and NHRA rules stuff.

It occurs to me that, at least where drag racing is concerned...there's only so far you can take a street car before it doesn't make any sense. Seems like you're sacrificing go-fast things just to keep it "street legal".

Enter...COPO.

When you down into the really fast times....you've got to be willing to make the leap to a true drag racing car, and stop with the street-legal nonsense. At which point someone might be able to make their own for less $$.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

It occurs to me that, at least where drag racing is concerned...there's only so far you can take a street car before it doesn't make any sense. Seems like you're sacrificing go-fast things just to keep it "street legal".

Enter...COPO.

When you down into the really fast times....you've got to be willing to make the leap to a true drag racing car, and stop with the street-legal nonsense. At which point someone might be able to make their own for less $$.
I agree....going full tilt drag strip and street legal seems very impractical...
The drive it to the track, drive it home attraction seems lacking in this Demon and appears more doable with Camaros....Then at a certain point, the COPO route is the way to go....Probably one of the reasons COPOs were never considered being made street legal...

I just don't see someone setting up this Demon to run 9.99 or lower, only to make one pass and be told put a roll-bar in it, or don't come back....

(The badge of honor NHRA ban letter, may even preclude any passes without a roll-bar).....Would anyone seriously buy this 9 second car and not be able to run at an NHRA track?....

It will be interesting to see how Hagerty handles this...roll bars and air bags don't mix...and I doubt anyone will be removing a roll-bar for street driving...

We'll see....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Will being banned give it more street cred??? I don't know, cool car BUT. I like HP wars! Makes me feel like a stupid kid again lol!!! Do you remember that first time in a 427 SS Chevelle, 440 anything MOPAR, lucky few 426. My 348 tri-power '58. Oh yes, give it to America we will rock some power!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Dodge does have the Drag Pak just like Chevy has the COPO Demon is a bad a$$ road car that you can take to the track.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/exclu...er-with-video/
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
The article is fairly ridiculous - it's no secret or surprise that you need to bolt on drag radials, fill up on race gas, and practice a little on a VHT prepped surface to run those maximum effort times. Lots of guys are going to happily lay out the cash for a Demon and get thrown out of local tracks with big smiles on their face. And even if they never make a single hit on it, they already bought into the 9 second club - and that is serious street cred. Dodge played to the market perfectly on this one, and will have no trouble selling these things to waiting enthusiasts. I'd park one in my garage...
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
The article is fairly ridiculous - it's no secret or surprise that you need to bolt on drag radials, fill up on race gas, and practice a little on a VHT prepped surface to run those maximum effort times. Lots of guys are going to happily lay out the cash for a Demon and get thrown out of local tracks with big smiles on their face. And even if they never make a single hit on it, they already bought into the 9 second club - and that is serious street cred. Dodge played to the market perfectly on this one, and will have no trouble selling these things to waiting enthusiasts. I'd park one in my garage...
^^^THIS^^^

The Demon will be a monster without a doubt and I really admire Dodge for doing what they did with the car.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Just posting an article I thought would add to the community. Good grief.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Just posting an article I thought would add to the community. Good grief.
I don't think anybody is getting personal with you about it - just some discussion around the content. It's a perfect thing to post and spark some car talk!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Enter...COPO.

The COPO's great for the ET's its built for but if you want to be competitive you need to get it rebuilt from the ground up.

Its a great foundation though.

http://www.dragzine.com/other-tech/c...howdown-racing
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote